Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar Panel Controller Wiring Question

After purchasing my Solar Panels, 40a Morning Star MPPT Controller, a Midnite breaker box from Norther Arziona, I'm in the process of wiring it all in.

Attached is a wiring diagram the engineer from NA sent me. It all makes sense and seams simple enough. The question I have may also be simple but:

The wire that goes from the 60a breaker to the battery, which comes from the solar controller, do I attach directly to the battery post, or the fuse from the battery to the inverter or to the on/off master switch from the battery to the inverter??

And the neg from the charger controller, do I also attach it to the battery post or can i attach it to the neg shunt so I can recieve battery charge info on my Magnum inverter control panel (I have the battery monitor)??

Thanks again,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hicks-RVKIT-003 (3).pdf  

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd connect it right to the battery from the 60a breaker.

The other one needs to be connected to your shunt if you want to monitor your Magnum inverter.

Sent from a trailer.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice Package you got!!!

Connect the 60a breaker wire to the battery directly with the shortest amount of wire to maximize your charging, same goes for the Negative.
    Morning Star has a remote display that you can add on to view inside your rig, then you would see Solar panel voltage, Amps charging, Battery level, watts, and amp hours total from the time you activate the system.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by N6ZCM1 View Post
    Nice Package you got!!!

Morning Star has a remote display that you can add on to view inside your rig, then you would see Solar panel voltage, Amps charging, Battery level, watts, and amp hours total from the time you activate the system.
    I'm thinking that if I connect to the out side of the neg shunt, I should be able to see the same things with my Magnum BMK battery monter.

Fingers crossed...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagwood_55 View Post
    I'm thinking that if I connect to the out side of the neg shunt, I should be able to see the same things with my Magnum BMK battery monter.

Fingers crossed...
    Correct. The only thing that connects to the negative battery terminal is the shunt. All charging and discharging must be done from the other end of the shunt so the battery state of charge (SOC) can be tracked.
    Steve and Cheryl

2017 Momentum 328M w/Dual Pane Windows and 3rd A/C. Aftermarket mods: Titan EOH Disc Brakes, MORryde IS suspension and Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder pin box
    2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn Megacab 4x4 DRW with 6.7 HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, AISIN trans, 3.73 axles and a Reese 20K puck mount hitch
    Call sign: AAØSB, Class: Extra