Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Couple of Solar Panel Mounting Questions

My panels, wiring, fuses/breakers will be in Tuesday. Im installing on a 303. Got 4 6v AGM's and a Magnum inverter/charger. I've pretty well got most worked outut had a couple of questions about which option to take.

First, What do you put between the panel mounting clip and the rubber roof, if anything. I know to screw and Dicor everything, but is anything needed
    on the rubber roof before screwing down the mounts?

Second. The wires from the panel laying flat on the roof: Eternabond tape or wire ties with screws and screw loops covered with Dicor??

Third. When wiring the solar controller to the batteries, do I wire straight to the batteries? Or to the main disconnect on positive and the shunt on neg?? I would like to be able to use the Magnum battery moniter on my main inverter control panel

Thanks for all the help, hopefully soon I will be thru with the main mods....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dagwood_55,
    When I mounted my panels I did not place anything between the mount foot and the roof. I screwed directly into the roof and then covered with Dicor.

I used Zip tie mounts with 3M adhesive on the back and screws, probably overkill, but I didn't want those suckers going anywhere.

On my Victron battery monitor, nothing is supposed to be wired to the battery directly, everything must be connected to or after the Shunt. If you connect directly to the battery the monitor wont recognize the incoming power. On the positive side, I wired mine to the main cut off, so that I can cut all drains and charges to the batteries for maintenance etc....Here is a picture of my wiring, you can see the shunt and negative buss on the bottom left and the positive disconnect and buss on the right.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3605.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	9270
    Ben
    Ben & Camille
    2022 Ford F450 King Ranch
    B&W Factory Puck 5th Wheel Hitch
    2016 Reflection 303RLS 4/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for the reply. Getting started today!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This info mate too late but checks out Ray's blog post on "Love Your RV" here. http://www.loveyourrv.com/installing...-solar-kit-rv/
    He used Eternabond Tape under the mounting feet to prevent the feet from cutting into the rubber roof plus Dicor on the screws..

You can also search for Love your Rv on you-tube. Lots of interesting mods..