User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally got some more info regarding if OE cameras will record to a “black box” in the case of an impact, like the other systems will. I was at my yearly firearms qualification, and had the opportunity to ask a member of the CHP MAIT (major accident investigation team). If anyone knows, he does. All they investigate are accidents involving a certain criteria, it used to be three fatalities if I recall.

He said that the OE equipment does NOT record onto this system. It would have to be a special order option or aftermarket item. We ended up speaking specifically about the 2017 F350, but he gave me no indication any vehicle OE cameras do it.

That’s the best I can do.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    Finally got some more info regarding if OE cameras will record to a “black box” in the case of an impact, like the other systems will. I was at my yearly firearms qualification, and had the opportunity to ask a member of the CHP MAIT (major accident investigation team). If anyone knows, he does. All they investigate are accidents involving a certain criteria, it used to be three fatalities if I recall.

He said that the OE equipment does NOT record onto this system. It would have to be a special order option or aftermarket item. We ended up speaking specifically about the 2017 F350, but he gave me no indication any vehicle OE cameras do it.

Good Info !!!! Thanks !
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post

Thanks! I kinda figured that, but I've been detached from anything close to that for about 4 years now, but I haven't read anything alluding to that either and I'm sure that our School Of Gov't Attorneys would be blogging about it since they are usually on the cutting edge of stuff like this.
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just put a Garmin 56 in both my son and my daughter's car. I have been pretty impressed with the quality of the video, both night and day. The camera also has features like lane departure, following distance alarm, etc. It also tracks your speed and location and has voice commands to stop and start recordings and manage the camera. So far I am pretty happy with the camera. I also like that my kids know that the camera is watching them at all times, so they will drive accordingly.

I went a different route on my truck. I wanted to replace my radio in my 2006 Ram as it sucks, it is old and has no modern features like Bluetooth or Car Play. I wanted to also add a dash camera and a back up camera to my truck. Rather than purchase individual components, I wanted to have a system that integrated all the features into one package. So today I went down and purchased a Kenwood DNX576S which allows the integration of up to three cameras into the radio. There is a dedicated input on the radio for the dash camera, plus two additional cameras. So I also purchased the Kenwood DRV-N520 Dash Camera which has its own on board storage for events and integrates directly with the DNX576S. The camera has no screen, it uses the screen on the radio, which I think I will like.

I also purchased a Kenwood CMOS-230 rear view camera. This camera has no storage capacity (like any normal BU camera), but will interface with the radio. My plan for this camera is to mount it on the back of the cab (need to figure this out) and direct the view on the hitch. I have a Superglide fifth wheel hitch that can be a pain to align while hitching as the kingpin has to be perfectly aligned with the hitch to work. Once installed, I will be able to view the exact alignment of the hitch and kingpin when hitching. My hope is this camera will make hitching up easier.

For the third camera input to the radio, I am considering installing a Kenwood CMOS-320 on the back of the fiver. This is a very interesting back up camera as it claims to have the ability to allow various views, including wide angle, super wide angle, split screens, corner views, and top views. Sounds almost too good to be true. I have not purchased this camera yet. It is a wired camera, so I would need to run a connection from the truck to the back of the fiver. Not sure this is workable, so further research required. For the record, I have a wireless Furrion back up camera on my fiver which I find to be pretty useless, the screen is small and I mounted it in a bad location, so I rarely use it. My hope is that this highly functional Kenwood BU camera interfaced with a 7 inch screen mounted at eye lever will be much better. Stay tuned for this.

Fair warning, this is not a cheap option. The radio was $600, the dashcam was $200, the BU camera was $100. The fancy CMOS-320 camera is another $200. Plus I had to buy a new dash face plate as my vintage of Dodge will not accept a double DIN, another $100. Still need to get various harnesses and connectors which will also add cost. But hey, I was looking to replace my useless radio anyway, which would have been around $300. I wanted a good dash camera, so another $150. Would still need the dash kit, $100, and connectors. So I was looking at about $550 regardless. So yeah, I spent $800+ (with more expense coming), but I got an integrated system for an extra $250. It’s all about the differential. That is what I always tell my wife, don't worry about the total cost, focus on the differential!!!. I think having all the cameras integrated with the radio is worth the extra cost.

I am going to start the install tomorrow and will let you all know how it goes.

DAN
    2016 Reflection 323BHS
    2006 5.9L Ram Megacab

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by telder4 View Post
    As far as using the horn to tell the bad driver that you detest their driving ability is being aggressive. I have 2.5 million safe miles driving an 18 wheeler across the US and Canada. I can tell you with certainty, that if you are being surprised by drivers cutting in front of you, then you are not paying close enough attention to the road conditions. When you are totally alert and trained in traffic patterns, most of the time you know what the car beside you is going to do before they actually begin to cut in front of you. I don't encourage the use of loud horns to voice your disgust at other drivers. Especially very loud horns like 18 wheelers used to have. (their horns are now not as loud as years past) Do you really want to scare traffic around you, with the possibility that your over loud horn could scare an innocent driver and actually cause them to have a wreck by being distracted? Just because your mad at the idiot whom cut you off? Pay attention not only to the cars, but pay attention to the body language of the idiot who is driving aggressively. 99% of the time you can tell they will cut you off by observing their body language. ie; they usually will be straining their necks looking quickly at their mirrors which will become obvious to you once you begin watching for their telltale signs. All you have to do is ease off a little bit and cover your brake..... that gains you about 2 seconds which is usually enough cushion to avoid a panic slowdown yourself. I taught Commercial Driving Classes for 6 1/2 years and I know my stuff. When you can't change others behavior, you can change your behavior, then have a safer and more pleasant drive.
    In the fire service, we call it situational awareness... Knowing what the sam hell is going on around you. I ride a motorcycle, and trust me you learn REAL QUICK to learn how to read the damned cagers. I agree - most, if not all, accidents could have been prevented with minor corrections.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456