Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Andy Brown

303rls leaning to one side

Hello all.

Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving and looking forward to Christmas.
    We have a 303 and have been having a great time. I have noticed that every campground
    we go to I have to block up the left side. We have very little stuff in the trailer. If we don't use
    it every time we go camping it comes out. I have a flat slab at home where I keep it
    and noticed that it leans there also. Anyone else noticed this? Is it just my trailer?
    Any ideas how to correct this. Thanks for your input. Charlie....

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Andy,

We have a 303 and also have to block up the left side at almost every campsite.

I don't have the spec sheet handy that came with the trailer, but empty, it starts out considerably heavier on the left side because of two slides, stove, fridge, pantry and entertainment center on that side.
    We have the fridge, pantry, drawers, cabinets and wardrobe all full . . . so have likely added a few hundred pounds more to the problem. There is no storage on the right side to balance this.

The 337 layout is essentially the same, so should tow heavy on the left side, but perhaps the power leveling jacks make this less noticeable.

As far as I can tell, the right and left suspensions are identical . . . So GD or Lippert don't appear to have allowed for this.
    Anybody got any ideas on how to adjust for this ?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting; I own a 293RES model and just finished building a parking pad for it. I was meticulous about getting the pad level, and on the first parking found the rig leaning to the left. This is with the slides retracted. I was convinced my level was off kilter, but reconfirmed the leaning with construction levels inside the unit. Not really a big deal, but i was purposely looking to avoid blocking when i return home from camping trips. The heavier slides is a reasonable argument, but i think i will check wheel clearance side-to-side to confirm this is a static condition.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have my spec sheet handy either but I'm pretty sure it showed about 600 lbs more on the left side tires. With the almost all the storage on the left side it is probably closer to 800 lbs loaded. When I measured to see how much clearance I had with the 16 inch tires, there was definitely less on the left side but I don't remember exactly how much. An extra leaf in the spring pack or a spacer between the axle and spring might be options if you wanted to do something about it.
    Nick and Nancy
    Abbotsford BC
    2011 Ram 3500
    2015 Reflection 303RLs

Loren and Caroline
    I have a 303RLS also and thought that perhaps my RV pad at the house wasn't level. A couple weeks ago I had it into the dealer for some warranty work and when I went to pick it up I noticed that on their flat concrete lot it was leaning there as well. Didn't have time to address it then but glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing this.

Loren and Caroline
    Chilliwack, BC

Andy Brown
    Thanks for all the input. It seems to be the way the trailer is Grand Designed. I was looking into higher capacity springs.
    I have found someone who sells a rubber bushing type spring that is installed between the axle and the frame,much like an
    air bag. Just a little tweeking and this could be a great trailer. Merry Christmas. Charlie...

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 323BHS is 700 lbs. heavier on the kitchen side (left). I think it's a common thing on fifth wheel trailers. Unfortunately, appliances and large cabinetry are heavier than a couple of recliners and a dinette in the smaller slider on the right side of the trailer.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my 303 I have to put pads under my drivers side wheels everywhere I go and at home. Looking at my weight sheet from GD and it says Street side is 4064 lbs and curb side is 3612 lbs. Then you load up the pantry and frig and the closet in the bedroom and it goes higher. I'm ok with this. Once I pad the drivers side it sits nice and level. We really enjoyed our 303 this year!! Can't wait till spring!

For our Northerner friends
    4064 lbs =1843 kilograms
    3612 lbs = 1638 kilograms

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do we have a left to right weight differential safety problem?
    Just got our 303RLS last week and the Vehicle Weight Information Sheet has
    Left side 4044, Right side 3522, empty. 500+ lbs is alot of weight
    Ed cosgro

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too was worried about the left side bias on our 337 which was 715# on the factory weigh sheet. I think this may be typical of this type of floor plan with the large kitchen slide on that side and seems to be a very popular style. I was told that the Correct Track system is installed on the camper for this reason.

I spoke with Lippert Components last year and they put me onto Sonny Dismuke who was part of the design team for the system. He told me that axle/wheel alignment is the main issue when a side to side weight bias is present and the purpose behind the Correct Track system. The system allows for adjustment in 1/4" increments to keep the axles/wheels aligned with the king pin. Here's a link to more information on it... http://lci1.com/correct-track-ii

I'm guessing what the loaded weight bias is now as I haven't got a that weighed but it's probably around 900# or more. I had the Correct Track alignment checked while at the Owners' Rally in Elkhart last Sept and all measurements were within the allowed 1/8" tolerance. I would suspect over time that may change as the heavier side springs start to lose the arch. We've got 5000 towing miles on the camper now and it tows great.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast