Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tire pressure and temp setting for tpms

The tires on our 2019 310 GK, are Westlake LRG and the tire specifies 110PSI. I have them at about 100, because the dealer didn't follow my instructions to put them at 110. I communicated with the tire distributor, Lionshead Tire and Wheel, and they said they tell their customers to run them at whatever the tire stamp says.

Can those with these tires, tell what you are doing?

I have a TPMS system which I am now trying to modify to set the pressure and temp highs and lows for these tires. That is a difference issue as I haven't figured out how to do that yet, but thought I should get some input on PSI and temperature highs and lows.

Thanks for any answers on this topic.

Rich
    2019 310GK
    2016 GMC 3500 DENALI SRW DURAMAX

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would keep the tires at 110psi and I am certain the placard on your camper will indicate this as well. As for the TPMS settings for pressure I have alarms set for -10% and +20% and kept the factory temperature setting of 158 degrees Fahrenheit. I am running F rated tires at max 95psi.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RV RUNNERS

Thanks for your response. Regarding the temp settings, do you have a high and low on it as well? Will you arm only go off if the temp reads 158 F?

Rich
    2019 310GK

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only a high temperature setting on the alarm. Keep in mind that if the tire develops an issue the temperature will rise so that is why the high temperature alarm is needed vs. a low temperature alarm. As for the pressure, the low pressure alarm at -10% is the most critical as an under inflated tire will run hotter and be more likely to experience a failure. Under inflation degrades the carrying capacity of the tire. I have set off the high pressure alarm at +20% on a few occasions on a hot day in the summer (may 1-2 psi above the setting) but as long as the tires are all within a relatively close range I do not get overly concerned. Often when on the interstate the tires on the sunny side of the camper will be a few degrees higher in temperature than the shady side. It is rare that you will have equivalent pressure and temperature readings on your various tires what you want to watch for is low pressure on a tire that may be having an issue which will almost always cause a spike in temperature on that tire.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got it.
    Thanks.

Rich
    2019 310GK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CLARKR4 View Post
    The tires on our 2019 310 GK, are Westlake LRG and the tire specifies 110PSI. I have them at about 100, because the dealer didn't follow my instructions to put them at 110. I communicated with the tire distributor, Lionshead Tire and Wheel, and they said they tell their customers to run them at whatever the tire stamp says.

Can those with these tires, tell what you are doing?

I have a TPMS system which I am now trying to modify to set the pressure and temp highs and lows for these tires. That is a difference issue as I haven't figured out how to do that yet, but thought I should get some input on PSI and temperature highs and lows.

Thanks for any answers on this topic.

Rich
    We also have a 310GK (2018) with the Westlake LRG tires. I (almost) always run them at 110 PSI cold. I always set and check it with a manual tire pressure gauge before starting a tow. I have a TPMS system (Ford factory setup) on the trailer and monitor the tire pressure as I am running. I do not have temperature monitoring capability. I have seen up to 19 PSI increase (129 PSI total) in hot summer running on the interstate. I typically see about 12~15 PSI increase (low to mid 12x PSI) while towing on the interstate. I tow at 65 MPH, and the pressure does increase with increased speed. At 40~45 MPH (secondary roads) I see lower pressures. I also notice that sun and wind (side load) can effect the side-to-side hot pressures 2~3 PSI.

I hope this helps give you an idea of MY running conditions.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris
    Thanks for your reply. I seems everyone so far is agreed to run pressure according to the specs. Apparently all trucks manufactured since 2013?? were required to have a built in TPMS, but for those manufactured for Canada it was an option, so our 2016 GMC 3500 came without the TPMS. My main concern was the trailer, as I have had a blowout on our previous unit, and there was resulting damage. That prompted me to buy the TPMS, as I may have avoided or minimized that damage.

Thanks for the details on your pressure running rates.

Rich
    2019 310GK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CLARKR4 View Post
    Chris
    Thanks for your reply. I seems everyone so far is agreed to run pressure according to the specs. Apparently all trucks manufactured since 2013?? were required to have a built in TPMS, but for those manufactured for Canada it was an option, so our 2016 GMC 3500 came without the TPMS. My main concern was the trailer, as I have had a blowout on our previous unit, and there was resulting damage. That prompted me to buy the TPMS, as I may have avoided or minimized that damage.

Thanks for the details on your pressure running rates.

Rich
    The 310GK is the lightest Solitude, but still is a heavy trailer. I have no problem running it at the max sidewall pressure which is also the manufacture specified pressure. This helps with both load capacity and rolling resistance (gas mileage). The down sides are a stiffer (rougher) ride and possibly more tire wear (in the center). I have two years and just over 11,000 miles on my tires. Wear (at 110 PSI cold) is very even across the tread and has gone from 11/32" to 9/32" tread depth. The tires will "age out" long before they wear out for me.

I carry a compressor with me and will adjust the truck and trailer tires as needed. However, I do not bother to pump up the trailer tires if the four are the same pressure and they are at least 105 PSI. If one tire is lower then the others, check it very carefully. If the change is long term (I live at 5,000' and have camped at the coast for 3~4 weeks), then I will bump the pressure up to 110 PSI.

Again, your mileage and results will vary. Hopefully this gives you at least one "real world" data point.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023