User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your great info.

I do recognize the downside of a shorter bed, however in order to purchase the TV I had to trade in my SUV so this truck is now my daily driver for school pick up and drop off, grocery store etc and the longer bed would make those things even more difficult.

I'm torn about the hitch types because we also live on a farm and will regularly use the truck bed so having something back there that is very difficult to get in and out is a huge drawback of those heavier, larger hitches.

Anybody on here pulling their 5er with the Anderson hitch in a short bed and have any input on how that experience has been for you? This will be our first RV and first towing experience (not counting pulling a horse trailer 25 years ago) so there will be danger of newbie mistakes....hopefully some of them will be countered by being extra cautious as an inexperienced driver.

So grateful for this forum and some of the facebook groups! Great information!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whittles View Post
    Thanks everyone for your great info.

I do recognize the downside of a shorter bed, however in order to purchase the TV I had to trade in my SUV so this truck is now my daily driver for school pick up and drop off, grocery store etc and the longer bed would make those things even more difficult.

I'm torn about the hitch types because we also live on a farm and will regularly use the truck bed so having something back there that is very difficult to get in and out is a huge drawback of those heavier, larger hitches.

Anybody on here pulling their 5er with the Anderson hitch in a short bed and have any input on how that experience has been for you? This will be our first RV and first towing experience (not counting pulling a horse trailer 25 years ago) so there will be danger of newbie mistakes....hopefully some of them will be countered by being extra cautious as an inexperienced driver.

So grateful for this forum and some of the facebook groups! Great information!
    I use the Anderson hitch. As others have said you have to be aware of the angle when turning and backing up but I have not found clearance to be a problem and I have been in some crazy angles. I have the Anderson set up per their instructions and use safety chains. I suggest you have the B&W turnover ball installed at a shop. Cutting a hole in the bed is not something I would trust to myself.
    John & Cindy
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ford F250 6.7 PSD

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh god no, I would never attempt any kind of install myself. Will definitely do that at a shop. We are not handy people in this family!

I guess I won't worry about the possible issues with having a short box aside from just being careful. Either way we will be able to maneuver in much tighter areas than if we had a tow behind right? Luckily we have a lot of room at our property to maneuver and turn around.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Oh god no, I would never attempt any kind of install myself. Will definitely do that at a shop. We are not handy people in this family!

I guess I won't worry about the possible issues with having a short box aside from just being careful. Either way we will be able to maneuver in much tighter areas than if we had a tow behind right? Luckily we have a lot of room at our property to maneuver and turn around.
    The installer will likely charge about what you paid for the hitch.
    Most shops wanted $600-$800 to install my B&W hitch so I did it myself with the help of a buddy. Cost me a case of beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need a friend like that!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget the 7-way connector in the bed! My hitch guy did the hitch and the 7-way in the bed for <1k, all parts and labor included.
    Chris

2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2018 Chevrolet 2500HD

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need a friend like that!
    You will when you've made friends in the camping community! Lending hands and trading favors is what we do.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think because my truck has the "camper" package for an in-bed camper it is already wired with the 7-pin but I'll confirm! Thanks everyone!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Complete newbie hitch and hitch prep question

I think because my truck has the "camper" package for an in-bed camper it is already wired with the 7-pin but I'll confirm! Thanks everyone!
    Make sure it isn’t on the bumper.
    Since your hitch isn’t on the bumper but in the bed you’re going to want the 7-pin “relocated” to inside the bed. I did this myself in about 10 minutes. You basically just drill a 2” hole in the bed and feed a Y-cable through it.

This is what you end up with...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4389.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	24034

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2017 ford f 250 with short bed. I went with B & W turnover ball and Anderson hitch. We pull two years with no problems. Sold our 5th wheel and just got a 280 BH and are heading to Quartzsite in two days. I'm real nervous about going on such a long trip for the first time out.I love the Anderson hitch as it has good side motion without binding on hitch.We do a lot of back country camping in Idaho and have had O issues. Anderson is made in Idaho Falls and are very helpful. Have fun with the new rig.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast