User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Complete newbie hitch and hitch prep question

Hi everyone! Complete newbie here. We have never towed anything before and are set to purchase a 28BH in the next few months. Our TV is a 2019 F350 with short bed. It is not 5th wheel prepped as far as I remember. My questions are:

1. What is the first step I need to take to get tow ready? I assume there is some sort of 5th wheel prep package that needs to be installed on my truck? Where is the best place to have this done?
    2. What kind of hitch is best to tow the 28BH with a short bed truck? I've read about several types but still unclear what is best for clearance, ease, etc. I'd prefer to be able to use the bed easily whether that means just having a ball or having a hitch that a strong small woman can remove herself.

I'm sure i will have MANY more questions in the future and appreciate everyones expertise!

Thanks!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My truck bed has 5 plugs in the bottom. They are removed to get to attachments on frame. You should see them in your bed if you have 5th wheel prep. What “short” bed do you have? The standard 6’5” or really short version?
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The standard 6'5" length. I'll check the window sticker that came with the truck but I don't think it came with 5th wheel prep as at the time we bought the truck, we were leaning very strongly towards TT, not a 5th wheel. I do think it came with the "camper" prep package but this is for an in-bed camper.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were in the same position a month ago. I have a shortbed as well. You have a TON of info to swim through.

I made the choice to go with the Andersen Ultimate hitch. I work at a campground and have talked to 20 or so campers that use the Andersen and every single one was happy.

I made the choice to go with the goose neck version because I wanted to the bed space when we're not towing (which is 90% of time!).

I wanted a lightweight hitch. I have several friends with regular 5th wheel hitches that love them when towing, but hate them the other 90% of the time!

So...., I installed a B&W turnover ball goose neck hitch. Best money I ever spent! The best of both worlds IMO.

The Andersen Ultimate weighs 35 pounds, so moving it is a breeze. You install it onto the goose neck ball, install the provided adapter on the kingpin and your ready to roll!

When finished towing, you remove the Andersen from the truck, flip the ball over and you have your full bed. The Andersen fits in my basement!

Good luck with whatever decision you make. Do your own research and learn as much as you can.
    Chris

2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2018 Chevrolet 2500HD

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @2rad4u! I have indeed been doing a ton of research but for someone who doesn't know all the terminology its been a bit overwhelming. I've heard great things about the Anderson and also the Goosebox. I think those two hitches are the only 2 we are really looking at now. Interested if anybody has used both and has a preference? When you read too much you start to get "analysis paralysis" and everything becomes more confusing again!

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, welcome! Plenty of great info here.

It's not a problem of your truck is not factory prepared for 5th wheel towing. There are several aftermarket kits available. If you're going to tow goose ball, you'll need a kit installed. I personally recommend you steer clear of an RV dealer installing one. Instead, find a local truck customization shop. If you go to manufacturers websites (B&W, Curt, etc.) for these kits, they will have lists of local dealers/installers.

I like to have a wide open bed when not towing, and the years and miles on my body were telling me to choose a smarter way now than my old Companion hitch... So, after getting to talk to the designer at a show after much online research, I am running a 20K, Gen2 Reese Goosebox. Been running it since tow #1 on our Solitude. It was the right decision all the way around!

With your shorter bed, you may need an offset ball for clearance with the Goosebox, and if you go Anderson you might need the offset model. Just alerting you to this so you can verify dimensions with your truck and specific camper.

Finally, be sure you know the laws of States you will tow through as some require safety chains for gooseneck towing. These aren't included with either, but both have them separately as accessories. Personally, I run safety chains on all my gooseneck trailers (car hauler, dump and tilt trailers in addition to the Solitude).

Happy camping!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my Anderson hitch, it’s in my 6’5” bed with no issues.

Welcome to the forum, start reading and writing checks......LOL
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you decide to go with a TT the length of the pickup box is not critical so no worries there. With a TT you will need a good weight distributing hitch system with adequate hitch head and bar capacity to accommodate the loaded tongue weight of the camper you select. When we had a TT I used the Equalizer brand and had good luck with it so that is the only one I can vouch for. I know there are other good brands out there also. It is critical that you find out what the loaded tongue weight is of the camper as the marketing literature and GDRV app gives largely unloaded tongue weights that are usually several hundred pounds off what folks experience in real use. A good way to pursue that information is to search this forum for posts about tongue weight for your model or create a new post asking for information if your search does not get the results you need.

If you go with a fifth wheel pin weight is the issue to consider but the same experience is true with the stated unloaded weights being several hundred pounds shy of what owners experience in use. I did some weight comparisons over the summer using the CAT Scales and found that my actual pin weight was <3400 lbs. vs. the pin weight on the app listed as 2509 lbs. for our Reflection 367BHS. Obviously we are not shy about storing plenty of stuff in our basement and front closet area and I do tend to keep the gas bottles filled. The hitch I am using is the B&W Companion (for the Ford pucks in my case) which has a pin weight rating of 5000 lbs. and trailer weight rating of 20000 lbs. so no worries there. Again I can only vouch for this hitch as I have not used others but I will say that I prefer the traditional B&W fifth wheel hitch over the alternatives. With a DRW truck we are within all limits on GVWR, Payload and the axle weight ratings so we are good there. I assume your truck is a SRW F350 so it is important to know that larger fifth wheel options will likely put you near or over the Payload and RAWR of your truck. With a short bed it is important to consider cab clearance. When we were towing our fifth wheel with a short bed SRW F350 I did have a slider base for the B&W hitch but never used it. I was always careful with campground and site selection so this definitely plays a part. In my opinion a slider hitch is great insurance in a short bed truck just in case you find yourself in a bind.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakfastinAmerica View Post
    My truck bed has 5 plugs in the bottom. They are removed to get to attachments on frame. You should see them in your bed if you have 5th wheel prep. What “short” bed do you have? The standard 6’5” or really short version?
    Quote Originally Posted by Whittles View Post
    The standard 6'5" length. I'll check the window sticker that came with the truck but I don't think it came with 5th wheel prep as at the time we bought the truck, we were leaning very strongly towards TT, not a 5th wheel. I do think it came with the "camper" prep package but this is for an in-bed camper.
    I think you'll find that the "standard" short bed on the F350 is 6'9", not 6'5". I'm not aware of any even-shorter option for that truck.

Despite your discovery that you now have four more inches it's not enough for carefree fifth wheel towing. The Andersen and other ball options help a bit by moving the trailer back slightly, and have some terrific non-towing benefits as mentioned by @geotex1. However you'll need a strong awareness of your limits in tight turns, else you'll become a member of the "I crushed my cab" club.

I rue my purchase of a short-bed 350. As someone absent-minded enough to forget about my limits while maneuvering in a busy fuel station I've had to saddle up with an auto-sliding hitch, the heavy, dirty, expensive, and sometimes-twitchy Pullrite Superglide. I don't recommend it except if you're like me and need the carefree turning capability it provides. There are manual sliding hitches on the market that have fewer of the Pullrite's disadvantages, but you do have to remember to stop and unlock the hitch and move it back when you need tight-turning capability.

Or, you can get the Andersen or other fixed-pin/ball alternatives and force caution and awareness of turning limitations on yourself when you're maneuvering. Lots of guys do it, and I envy them, but I don't trust myself to do it.

Good luck with your choices. As someone said above you can find a lot of information to wade through before making your decision.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have a Pullrite Superglide and I second @boyscout in his conclusions. The only time I like my hitch is when I'm pulling my 5er. Then I LOVE it as I do not concern myself with turning radiuses and any of the problems associated with a short bed truck. It's dirty and fiddly and heavy and works perfectly.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast