User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whittles View Post
    Hi everyone! Complete newbie here. We have never towed anything before and are set to purchase a 28BH in the next few months. Our TV is a 2019 F350 with short bed. It is not 5th wheel prepped as far as I remember. My questions are:

1. What is the first step I need to take to get tow ready? I assume there is some sort of 5th wheel prep package that needs to be installed on my truck? Where is the best place to have this done?
    2. What kind of hitch is best to tow the 28BH with a short bed truck? I've read about several types but still unclear what is best for clearance, ease, etc. I'd prefer to be able to use the bed easily whether that means just having a ball or having a hitch that a strong small woman can remove herself.

I'm sure i will have MANY more questions in the future and appreciate everyones expertise!

Thanks!
    I have a short bed F-250. I bought the hitch plate from Ford that goes under the bed. It’s not that difficult to install if you have some help lifting the bed. It makes a nice clean installation. I have a B&W sliding hitch. It’s heavy and I can’t remove it alone. I think the gooseneck might be better if you want your truck bed open when not towing. I have a Reflection 5th wheel. The front cap is turned back to allow extra clearance. I seldom have to use the slide but I have to watch and be careful. I don’t think you can get a gooseneck that slides though. Pros and cons like everything. When backing on flat land I usually have plenty of clearance without using the slide. Where you risk a crunch is backing and turning on grades. The slide is a must then.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have installed two B & W Turnover Ball hitches in one Ford and one Chevy. Its not crazy difficult but decent tools and lying under the truck are mandatory. I have a long-bed Ford with the 20K B & W companion hitch. We love it. No noise of any kind and a smooth ride.

My brother has the Chevy short-bed with the B & W slider. Since he hasn't had to slide the hitch back for turning in two years it is for sale, mostly because it takes two large mammals to remove the hitch from the bed of the truck and he had daughters!

You cannot go wrong with a B & W hitch system, but there are others that move the turning of the RV further back instead of over the axle.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the AUH and love it. It only takes me 5 minutes to install or remove, it is light, and it does not chuck.

In my last truck I had the b&w turnover ball installed with the safety chain hooks and bed wiring and it worked great. I cannot remember the price, but as mentioned elsewhere I had it done by a truck specialty shop and had no issues with it.

My new truck came with 5th wheel prep and it works just as well.

You might want to search you tube for a guy that goes by big truck big RV I think. He did a review on the AUH and eventually installed the goose box. He does a review of both and preferred the goose box because it takes up less space in the bed of his truck while towing. The biggest problem with the Andersen is the amount of bed space it sucks up! If you don’t carry a lot of stuff in your bed when you camp then you won’t mind it. Some do - some don’t.

Good luck and welcome!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an F350 with the factory puck system and use the Andersen Ultimate hitch. I have had no problems with turning radius and I come close to 80 degrees turning around in the cultisac so I can back the Solitude in the drive. I have 8" of bed rail clearance on the middle ball setting. Be careful with the Reese goose box hitch on the bed rail height. The Ford sits high and the goose box was too close for comfort on the bed rail height. The Andersen is so easy to install and remove. Get yourself a torque wrench. You need to torque the Andersen to 70 on the ball connection.
    2020 Solitude 385 GK R
    2019 F-350 Diesel King Ranch SRW
    Load Lifter 5000 lb Air Lift Airbags

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123