User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2020 GMC 2500 360 Camera system and Furrion

I think I already know the answer to my question, but wanted to get on here and seek opinions of others that have probably encountered the same thing. I have a 2020 29RS with the Furrion camera mounted on back and the monitor. Just bought a new 2020 GMC 2500 with the fancy camera system. The Furrion is not compatible with the GMC 360 camera system so I need to buy a new camera for the back of the trailer from GMC if I want to make the "invisible" trailer function work. Or do I? Is there a way to make the Furrion work?

Second part of the question is this. For those of you that may have the "correct" system on your GMC, do you find the invisible trailer function is useful when changing lanes since it utilizes the cameras on the truck also, compared to the separate Furrion system that shoots only directly down at back of trailer making it very useful to see where traffic is when changing lanes.

Any assistance is helpful.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hogcard View Post
    I think I already know the answer to my question, but wanted to get on here and seek opinions of others that have probably encountered the same thing. I have a 2020 29RS with the Furrion camera mounted on back and the monitor. Just bought a new 2020 GMC 2500 with the fancy camera system. The Furrion is not compatible with the GMC 360 camera system so I need to buy a new camera for the back of the trailer from GMC if I want to make the "invisible" trailer function work. Or do I? Is there a way to make the Furrion work?

Second part of the question is this. For those of you that may have the "correct" system on your GMC, do you find the invisible trailer function is useful when changing lanes since it utilizes the cameras on the truck also, compared to the separate Furrion system that shoots only directly down at back of trailer making it very useful to see where traffic is when changing lanes.

Any assistance is helpful.
    hogcard, I do not own a new GMC, but have a close friend that does. He has the package for trailer monitoring. He asked me to help him install them on his trailers, and the first thing you should know is that these are wired cameras. You won't be able to make a Furrion work. The cameras are INCREDIBLY expensive too (almost $400 after tax!!), and they seem to be on backorder as he had to wait a long time for them. After seeing this up close, but not cracking them open, I would wager any wired camera could be used provided you can source the weather-tight mating plug for the truck side. If they catch on, you can get the aftermarket will have options in a year's time.

Let me caution you, that if you go to have the TPMS installed on the trailer wheels, there's a very good chance they will not fit if your trailer wheels are aluminum! Friend ended up using them on his work trailer as they fit the steel wheels, and that trailer gets the most use anyway.

Personally, I have the full Furrion Vision S setup with the rear camera and the side cams. I find it more than adequate to check along side when changing lanes, and with the rear I know when I have cleared the passed vehicle. IMO, cameras and lane warnings do not replace good driving habits, proper mirror adjustment and use, and having a spotter or remembering your GOAL when backing, but they absolutely supplement these and improve the overall experience.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you end up installing an OEM GMC camera? I just got a 2020 GMC 3500HD to pull our 2017 G-D 2500RL (and maybe bigger in the future?). Bought the OEM rear camera, but haven’t installed yet. Not the most streamlined of designs... And, yes, quite expensive. I’ve tried Furrion, not good results. Interested to hear if anyone here’s installed a GMC camera.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same truck and need to find the cameras that will work. Did you get yours installed? Does it work?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizae21 View Post
    I have the same truck and need to find the cameras that will work. Did you get yours installed? Does it work?
    Yes, installed the OEM wired rear camera back around September, then did a 1000 mile trip from MN to MT and back. Works great, especially when used with all the fancy built in truck-mounted cameras. The “invisible trailer” view is a bit of a gimmick, in my opinion, and calibration is very finnicky. The regular rear-facing view is actually better. There’s a lot of discussion about installing the camera on gm-trucks.com forum - search invisible or transparent trailer (both labels are used). Yes, the camera’s very expensive, but it works really well! Good luck.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting. Good info��
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM