User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are contemplating doing it yourself, might I suggest you do the project one step at a time...

First, I would upgrade my batteries and converter, two jobs that are not at all difficult. If you want to start small, I would suggest upgrading the converter first, followed by the batteries.

With regard to the batteries, I would suggest, because you are eventually going with a 3000 Watt Inverter, you consider a 24 volt configuration. This is because you want to run the Air Conditioner from your Inverter. If you have a 24 volt battery bank you can run smaller gauge cables to the Inverter and have less energy loss between the battery bank and the inverter, additionally, a 24 Volt Inverter is more efficient than a 12 volt inverter and draws less intense energy from your batteries under moderate loads. You also save a lot of money on cables (cables are not cheap).

By upgrading your converter and batteries first, you can start your Boondocking Adventurers sooner and you may decide that with your larger battery bank (and your Generator) Solar is not necessary.

Based on your work limitations, I think the battery and converter upgrade will serve you well, at least until you are free to spend longer periods away from work.

You can then add on Solar and then the Inverter, or add the Inverter first, your choice.

PS: You could start with a pair of Battle Born Batteries, running on 12 volts and then add another pair in the future when you add in your inverter to upgrade to 24 volts (the inverter and Solar will then become your charger and your Converter can be retired).

PPS: It is easy to convert 24 volts DC to 12 volts DC with a DC to DC converter.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    If you are contemplating doing it yourself, might I suggest you do the project one step at a time...

First, I would upgrade my batteries and converter, two jobs that are not at all difficult. If you want to start small, I would suggest upgrading the converter first, followed by the batteries.

With regard to the batteries, I would suggest, because you are eventually going with a 3000 Watt Inverter, you consider a 24 volt configuration. This is because you want to run the Air Conditioner from your Inverter. If you have a 24 volt battery bank you can run smaller gauge cables to the Inverter and have less energy loss between the battery bank and the inverter, additionally, a 24 Volt Inverter is more efficient than a 12 volt inverter and draws less intense energy from your batteries under moderate loads. You also save a lot of money on cables (cables are not cheap).

By upgrading your converter and batteries first, you can start your Boondocking Adventurers sooner and you may decide that with your larger battery bank (and your Generator) Solar is not necessary.

Based on your work limitations, I think the battery and converter upgrade will serve you well, at least until you are free to spend longer periods away from work.

You can then add on Solar and then the Inverter, or add the Inverter first, your choice.

PS: You could start with a pair of Battle Born Batteries, running on 12 volts and then add another pair in the future when you add in your inverter to upgrade to 24 volts (the inverter and Solar will then become your charger and your Converter can be retired).

PPS: It is easy to convert 24 volts DC to 12 volts DC with a DC to DC converter.

You want to do a Road Trip? I will have to digest this & see what I can come up with. Thank you for sharing your wisdom!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am pretty sure that you can't run BB in series, if you want to run 24 volts buy their 24 volt batteries.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moterbiker View Post
    I am pretty sure that you can't run BB in series, if you want to run 24 volts buy their 24 volt batteries.
    There is no problem with connecting Battle Born batteries in a 24 volt (series) configuration.

Here is a quote from the Battle Born Website (FAQ)...

There are 2 different ways of connecting batteries together to make a larger bank.

1. Parallel Connections – These connections are used when you want to increase the amperage of your battery bank. Most commonly, parallel-only connections are found in 12 volt systems. The connections on this type of battery bank go from positive to positive and negative to negative, when you connect this way you double your amps. (see the diagram below)

2. Series Connections – this type of connection is used when you need to increase the voltage of your battery bank. You will find these types of battery connections in all types of battery banks including 12 volt, 24 volt, 48 volt systems. The connections in this type of battery bank are different than parallel. Your batteries will be connected from positive to negative, linking the batteries together to increase the voltage of your battery bank. (see diagram below)

*Note: If you are going to wire your batteries in Series, let us know when you place your order so we can make sure to match your capacity.*

In some instances when you have a larger size battery bank you will commonly have both series and parallel connections in your battery bank.(see diagram below)
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12