User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pros and Cons of ordering vs buying new in stock

Pulled the trigger on Ram 3500 dually and now we are shopping for a 373FB R.

Interested in your perspective and wisdom on purchasing from inventory vs ordering a unit.

Found two units that are possibilities one is listed as a 2019 the other as a 2020. However the 2020 shows a manufacture date of 07/2019. Not sure if there is any real difference.

Naturally if we ordered we may change or add a thing or two. Salesman mentioned that there were options you can choose when ordering that are not on the GD website.

Thanks in advance for your counsel

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the timeline isnt important to you I would do the custom order. You get to pick and choose what you want. I dont know if I believe the salesperson about getting options that arent listed options on the GD web site. Also, you dont have to wonder how many other people have walked through your unit or anything like that. You can still get a good deal on a custom order.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have heard different lead times on ordering a unit- dealer says 12 weeks

Also wondering about the full paint investment- pros and cons

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It makes a difference in depreciation and the fact that those units are almost two years old now.

Just order. Price is going to be so close it wouldn't be worth it.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as FBP, it ends up costing 9-10K depending on the dealer, but will add zilch to the trade in value and maybe 2-3K in a private sale if it is well maintained or it may be the thing that pushes a buyer to yours if it is coming down to two units.
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
    As far as FBP, it ends up costing 9-10K depending on the dealer, but will add zilch to the trade in value and maybe 2-3K in a private sale if it is well maintained or it may be the thing that pushes a buyer to yours if it is coming down to two units.
    We will be full timing- does the FBP provide better protection to the elements?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chap442 View Post
    The nice thing about full body paint is there are no graphics decals to fade and peel. We had decals on our first 5th wheel and even though I used 303 Protectant on them regularly and waxed everything else twice a year, I was always worried about the decals fading and peeling.

If full body paint is applied properly, the finish should last longer and in my experience it's slightly easier to keep clean. But to answer your question, it doesn't provide better protection from the elements. It's just paint. We just ordered our second 5th wheel with full body paint. I won't buy another RV without it.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chap442 View Post
    No and for 8k or whatever the FBP nets out after discount you could pay a team of people to swap graphics, wax and wash your rig for as long as you own it. FBP is about look, there is no added benefit. If you fail to wax it and you get blistering it will look worse than faded decals and much harder / more expensive to fix.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First you asked for pros and cons of ordering vs. picking off a lot....
    Pros of picking off a lot:
    > quick delivery
    > maybe price negotiation depending on how long rig was on the lot
    Cons:
    > you don't get to choose options (furniture colors, double pane windows, frig, FBP, heat pump, gen prep, slide toppers, etc.)
    > you have to wait

Then you asked about FBP....
    Pros: better finish; longer lasting; better protection considering decals take a beating over time
    Cons: cost; ugly pattern(s) GD offers
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Our Reflection (no fbp) was custom built for us exactly 2 years ago.
    I’ve never waxed it and have washed it twice.
    Sitting right next to a 2020 Reflection after being rained on all day, they both look the same.
    I feel fbp is like chrome wheels. They look great when they’re clean but no one really cares except the owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast