Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inverter mounting question....

Okie Dokey, my question to the teachers is,

Is there any reason that I cannot move the inverters from the floor to a wall? The big honkin one is mounted in the exact middle of that space and makes it impossible to do anything without going over it. My plan, feeble as it may be is to mount 1/4 inch plywood to the support structure and then the inverter to that.

The reason I addressed this to the teachers as opposed to the class is that for this one, I am the pupil.

Now I expect the answers to be ranked in descending order upon our return from West Marine and Lowes Hardware. Thanks!
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The installation manual would be the place to look to be sure but generally inverters cam be mounted on floors, ceilings and walls.

Do I get extra points for being the first to answer??
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inverters usually have a direction to mount, i.e vertical- horizontal-upside down, etc. Floor, wall or ceiling will only matter if it interferes with the direction allowed by the MFG.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you mount it on other than the floor, make sure that the surface/structure you mount it to, as well as the fasteners, can handle the G-forces imposed by a relatively dense piece of equipment bouncing down our wonderful roads.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also make sure there is space around the unit to "breathe" and not overheat. If you can provide some pictures of your current and planned setup, as well as some info like where the shore inlet and AC panel are, that all helps too
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @traveldawg , the manual is silent on the subject. I was just wanting to see if anybody had done it and had any issues. Besides, reading the manual is too easy and makes too much sense. Here is your trophy for being first.

@Second Chance, Adding a piece of plywood will probably add just a tad to the structure integrity. I'm going to remove a couple of vertical sticks that are in the way, but replace them with easily removeable 2X4. I will consider adding a piece or two to help support if it seems at all weak.

@cookinwitdiesel , it is just mounted flat to the floor, so unless I surround it with something, the ventilation can only get better. I am going to move it closer to the DS wall and away from the furnace and water heater but any change in temp from that will probably be negligible.
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe you need to mount it so the fans aren't at the top, so debris won't get inside......
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
    Is there any reason that I cannot move the inverters from the floor to a wall? The big honkin one is mounted in the exact middle of that space and makes it impossible to do anything without going over it. My plan, feeble as it may be is to mount 1/4 inch plywood to the support structure and then the inverter to that.
    Check the manual for recommended mounting instructions. Some inverters, Magnum for one, require a special accessory if mounted vertically. The accessory captures any burning material in the event of a catastrophic failure. While my inverter is still on the floor behind the wall in my front pass-thru, I did relocated the transfer switch and converter (disconnected) to the walls behind the hutch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4381.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	24055
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya - Follow us at rctravels.rmcd.ca
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, Cerbo GX, 6x Battle Born 100AH, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Sierra Duramax Denali 4x4 DRW Longbox Crew Cab, Curt Q25

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KamFlyer View Post
    Check the manual for recommended mounting instructions. Some inverters, Magnum for one, require a special accessory if mounted vertically. The accessory captures any burning material in the event of a catastrophic failure. While my inverter is still on the floor behind the wall in my front pass-thru, I did relocated the transfer switch and converter (disconnected) to the walls behind the hutch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4381.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	24055
    I already have said that the manual is silent on that one. But, too late now....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1838.jpg  
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is your inverter close to the batteries? Also what type of batteries. I’m getting ready to install an inverter. I was going to put it in the front compartment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast