User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The inverter is in the mechanical space behind the front pass thru. Right now we have the one mid level battery installed by the dealer. this summer I will be adding two Trojan level 6 volt batts.
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Inverter mounting question....

Quote Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
    The inverter is in the mechanical space behind the front pass thru. Right now we have the one mid level battery installed by the dealer. this summer I will be adding two Trojan level 6 volt batts.
    Have someone do a capacity test on your dealer-installed battery if you plan on using it with the new ones. Even if it appears to be new, and especially if you’ve never monitored it with a voltage meter (which isn’t installed on any of our trailers from the factory).

Point being, I could take a brand new lead-acid battery, discharge it completely a few dozen times and it’ll be permanently damaged and de-rated to a quarter of the capacity on the label.
    It’ll also never charge as quickly as it did new.
    You’ll never know this unless you test it.

That being said, it’s not recommended to use old lead-acid batteries (AGM too) with new ones as the older battery will degrade the performance of the newer ones. Same reason us diesel owners buy 2 new batteries at a time for our trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 01-02-2020 at 11:57 AM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Have someone do a capacity test on your dealer-installed battery if you plan on using it with the new ones. Even if it appears to be new, and especially if you’ve never monitored it with a voltage meter (which isn’t installed on any of our trailers from the factory).

Point being, I could take a brand new lead-acid battery, discharge it completely a few dozen times and it’ll be permanently damaged and de-rated to a quarter of the capacity on the label.
    It’ll also never charge as quickly as it did new.
    You’ll never know this unless you test it.

That being said, it’s not recommended to use old lead-acid batteries (AGM too) with new ones as the older battery will degrade the performance of the newer ones. Same reason us diesel owners buy 2 new batteries at a time for our trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Naaaaaaah, I'm not gonna match up a deep cycle 12V with 2 6V batts. One ain't gonna like the other and will want to kill it. My luck, they will all suffer fatal injuries.

I may be crazy, but I'm not insane. :-)) I'll find a use for the 12V. It may end up powering a couple of LED strips as emergency lighting somewhere.
    Last edited by ThePowells; 01-02-2020 at 10:39 PM.
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have 2 6 volt batteries and 1 12 volt. We run on the 6 volts and left the 12 volt where it was not hooked up. The cables reached the 2 6 volts so the only cable I needed to get was one to go between the 2 6 volts. If we ever have a failure with the 6 volts it will be a easy hookup back to the 12 volt so we don't have to run around trying to do something to get it working. I check the voltage in the 12 volt periodically but rarely have to hook it up to a charger.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally have never seen one mounted on a floor. Ive always mounted mine on walls. Never had any issues. I would actually expect issues with a floor mount

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12