User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really appreciate all of the feedback. This last weekend, my wife and I took a few trucks out for test drives - 2020 F450 DRW LB, 2015 GMC 3500 DRW LB, 2020 F350 SRW SB and a 2020 Chevy 2500HD LB - all crew cab, all diesel. About the only factor I'm certain of is that I want a diesel in the truck - largely for the downhill braking. We feel like the 3/4 ton trucks are going to be more comfortable, but my math is telling me that their cargo capacity won't allow for much growth, so I'm leaning towards at least an F350 DRW, but that 450 sure did turn nice...

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    My experience is similar to that of Dallas (minus the horse trailers but adding larger sailboats). Lots of pulling in the mountains out west with our fifth wheel, too. I second everything he said. The higher torque at much lower RPMs with the diesel can't be beat. I also will never tow a larger fifth wheel with anything but a dual rear wheel truck again, either... been there, done that.

Rob
    Newbie here and spent a ton of time researching the "best" truck to buy. MY bottom line, it boiled down to the TV payload capacity and ability to upgrade to a larger/heavier RV in the future if we ever wanted to. We're on the cusp of purchasing a 310GK and the SRWs weren't going to meet my expectations today or for the future. In the end, the F350 Lariat diesel DRW checked all of the boxes (equipped the way we wanted it) and it was my early Christmas present. Also, comments by Rob and others on this forum were a beneficial educational experience that helped quantify the TV purchase. Dennis.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Really appreciate all of the feedback. This last weekend, my wife and I took a few trucks out for test drives - 2020 F450 DRW LB, 2015 GMC 3500 DRW LB, 2020 F350 SRW SB and a 2020 Chevy 2500HD LB - all crew cab, all diesel. About the only factor I'm certain of is that I want a diesel in the truck - largely for the downhill braking. We feel like the 3/4 ton trucks are going to be more comfortable, but my math is telling me that their cargo capacity won't allow for much growth, so I'm leaning towards at least an F350 DRW, but that 450 sure did turn nice...
    Just a thought--if your thinking about diesel I would recommend checking out the Ram 3500 with the Aisin transmission. It's a great combination and the in-line 6 sure does tow nice.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the RAM / Aisin setup and it does do a great job , uphill or down. I will say though that from what I read the F bodies get better fuel mileage. Also uses DEF at about a gallon every 4-500 miles towing. Since I do my own service and repairs , I’ll stick with the inline.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cfowler55 View Post
    I have the RAM / Aisin setup and it does do a great job , uphill or down. I will say though that from what I read the F bodies get better fuel mileage. Also uses DEF at about a gallon every 4-500 miles towing. Since I do my own service and repairs , I’ll stick with the inline.
    Charlie
    That's interesting. The Ike Gauntlet did a tow comparison on the big three diesel pickups. They said the Ram got the best fuel economy towing.

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Charlie
    Did you mean every 4,000 - 5,000 miles? I put 2.5 gallons in my F350 about every 5,000 miles.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you mean every 4,000 - 5,000 miles? I put 2.5 gallons in my F350 about every 5,000 miles.

Rob
    A friend has a F-350 and said the same thing. It seams that Ford and Ram DEF fluid usage is similar. Not sure about the Chevy.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rob
    No sir. Every 400-500. Now this is towing only. Averages about a gallon to every 50 gallons of diesel. Not a big expense , but I use only MOPAR fluid , so on a long trip I usually take 2 extra 2.5 gallon containers.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No sir. Every 400-500. Now this is towing only. Averages about a gallon to every 50 gallons of diesel. Not a big expense , but I use only MOPAR fluid , so on a long trip I usually take 2 extra 2.5 gallon containers.
    Charlie
    Sounds about right. Maybe a little much, but not to high.
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonemannn View Post
    Sounds about right. Maybe a little much, but not to high.
    2017 F350 holds 7.5 gallons of DEF. Towing a car trailer, will use a complete tank from San Diego to PA, and back. About 6K miles.
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast