User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bmbl-bee View Post
    That's interesting. The Ike Gauntlet did a tow comparison on the big three diesel pickups. They said the Ram got the best fuel economy towing.
    I saw that test. They tow 100 or so miles. I’ve towed +/- 22500. Central Texas to Florida, Colorado mountains , Tennessee mountains , New Mexico , Arkansas. Best I’ve ever seen is 11 , worst 7.5. Total average is a little over 9. I never remember having a tailwind.
    Now don’t get me wrong , I’m ok with that. Big wind load and a lot of weight. I just see posts of folks with other badges reporting quite a bit higher.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Towing my 311BHS, hwy mostly, I get 11.5 MPG. Get into some hills, like the rocky mountains, it will never go to single digits . Always 10 or more. Not towing, 15 MPG HWY.
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I towed a 6000 lb trailer a chevy 1500 gas and knew it was working hard and knew the trailer was back there. I moved up to a 2500 chevy diesel and first time out wife asked if i was sure the trailer was still back there. The power is one thing and the truck is heavy compared to a gas so the weight really makes a difference in the balance between truck and trailer. now with a 3000qb and it tows just fine with the diesel. thats my two bits

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cfowler55 View Post
    I saw that test. They tow 100 or so miles. I’ve towed +/- 22500. Central Texas to Florida, Colorado mountains , Tennessee mountains , New Mexico , Arkansas. Best I’ve ever seen is 11 , worst 7.5. Total average is a little over 9. I never remember having a tailwind.
    Now don’t get me wrong , I’m ok with that. Big wind load and a lot of weight. I just see posts of folks with other badges reporting quite a bit higher.
    Charlie
    Too many factors involved to just make it so simple. For instance, our Solitude is a little shorter in length than the car hauler I used to tow that was 960# more loaded per the scales with 2 cars in it, but the Solitude is 5 feet taller. I'd get 14.x mpg towing it the same mixed path we took the Solitude down and back for our last trip of the season. Average with the massive resistance of that tall nose splitting through the air was a whopping 8.9 mpg...
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I never thought of this as an advantage to owning a diesel truck but you're right!
    We're with you. We have a 42.5 foot 2016 Solitude 379FL. One of the biggest cases of angst during a trip was finding places to fuel-up (diesel) that I could actually get into and out of the place without scraping paint or curbs. On this last trip to Florida from Michigan i downloaded and printed every state in our route: http://www.findfuelstops.com/. It may take a couple of extra minutes having to run inside to prepay and get a receipt, but I can pump 30 gallons of diesel in what feels like a minute o two. Screaming fast pumps! One even let us park and sleep overnight at no charge! Every public rest area is posted, "No overnight parking", even though the truckers do it all of the time. We just figured how far we wanted to drive on the next leg and then find a truck stop within a few moles of there. This is the way we are doing it from now on....

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go for a new 2020 ram 3500 drw with the new HO cummins. 1000ft lb of torque off the showroom. New updated 6.7 is a cgi block, forged rods, forged crank, enlarged headbolts, new piston redesign, and hydraulic roller lifters replacing the older tapper design. (I'd prefer tappet for reliability but to each their own) Larger rear end, as well as a lot of other upgrades that I'm forgetting.
    Inline 6's are tow monsters. All with the reliability of the Cummins.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All three, GM, Ford, and Ram, will get you to where you want to be at the end of the day. So why not buy from one of the two American companies?
    ~Dean

2019 Ford F250 Supercab, 6.2L
    2023 GD Imagine AIM 18BH
    2012 Harley FLHRC, Deep Purple,; 2012 Honda PCX150
    "Auctioneer, specializing in FL onsite auctions"

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Really appreciate all of the feedback. This last weekend, my wife and I took a few trucks out for test drives - 2020 F450 DRW LB, 2015 GMC 3500 DRW LB, 2020 F350 SRW SB and a 2020 Chevy 2500HD LB - all crew cab, all diesel. About the only factor I'm certain of is that I want a diesel in the truck - largely for the downhill braking. We feel like the 3/4 ton trucks are going to be more comfortable, but my math is telling me that their cargo capacity won't allow for much growth, so I'm leaning towards at least an F350 DRW, but that 450 sure did turn nice...
    I was leaning to the 450 but I came across such a good deal on a 19 350 I just couldn't say no, at MSRP there really isn't that much of a price difference though. Ended up with a 350 DRW CCLB 6.7 Lariat for 13k+ under MSRP.

The problem with this though is the wife changed her mind on the 5er and wants something bigger!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moterbiker View Post

The problem with this though is the wife changed her mind on the 5er and wants something bigger!
    There are many 5th wheel RV in the 42 foot category. What does she want, a Class A after you bought the truck?
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vonzoog View Post
    There are many 5th wheel RV in the 42 foot category. What does she want, a Class A after you bought the truck?
    We were originally looking at something like the 28BH now she is leaning more to the 337RLS, really want to stay around 35 feet, weigh was the main difference

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast