User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tow Vehicle Toss-up

We are evaluating options for our first tow vehicle. The only must haves are crew cab, long bed and leather... I'd prefer gas over diesel. I'd prefer a 1 ton, DRW for the extra capacity and stability. Our initial trailer is likely the GD 2800BH or similar. On paper, the gas trucks we are looking at can pull the 2800BH and larger trailers, but I have no idea about how well they will pull. We are looking at RVing about half time, covering around 10k miles a year.

We can see a trailer like the GD 312BTS in our future assuming we enjoy RVing as much as we are anticipating.

Are the gas motors sufficient? Any experience with Ford's new 7.3 motor? At the level of driving we are looking at, is diesel more of a luxury than a necessity?

Any input would be great - Thanks!

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Ford 7.3 has just been out a week or two, and there are no reports online of the performance. I do know 5 Star is working on a tune to improve HP and drivability. The engine appears to be a $2,045 option vs. about $10.5K for the diesel.

If you're going to be spending 6 mos. a year and 10K miles a year towing, the diesel might do a better job in both the short and long run. I'd rather have a well equipped XLT diesel with cloth interior vs. a gas engine Lariat with leather. And those that go full time often trade up to full size fifth wheels requiring duallies to tow.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will be a different towing experience with either the gas or diesel power plant, however, you are on the right track with a DRW one ton truck as chassis is more often the limiting factor in what you can tow due to payload, GVWR and axle weight ratings. Both engines should do fine. With diesel you will enjoy more torque, the benefits of turbo, better fuel economy and significant power generated at lower RPM numbers. With the gas you will enjoy a lower up front cost, less maintenance cost, less finicky EPA mandated “add ins” and, at least as I write this, lower fuel cost (in terms of cost per gallon). When considering fuel economy, although diesel is currently a higher cost per gallon, you are likely to see a 3-5 mile per gallon increase with diesel so the diesel will likely still cost less to fuel up for your journey. My last two trucks have been diesel - just my preference. Do some more research, drive both and you will be able to make the best decision possible for your needs.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No real dog in either camp. We bought a used 2004 GMS Sierra 3500 with the 8.1 Vortec about 6-7 years ago when we thought our 5er would be a toyhauler and not looking far enough to really worry about the long trips. We ended up with a fantastic Thor Quantum due to the salesman we were working with on a TH decided to be a unwashed butt hole. The Quantum purchase was maybe a little out of spite, but it was perfect for us.
    Now we have the Solitude and gross slightly less than 26K. For our first trip it did great. With a little experimentation, I ended up with less than a 3MPG drop. Will this be the truck to take us into our retirement? Probably not. Will it be a diesel, probably. For the reasons argued and extolled on this and other forums adnauseated? No. Simply because their isn't a 3500-4500 with a big block that will be available to compete in our weight class. The answer really lies with the questions of, will the Ford prove out and will they be available on the used truck market?

From looking at the truck trader ads, my truck as appreciated since I bought it.
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have towed various things all my life from horse trailers in Colorado mountains to hay in Kansas and boats in Florida, all with gas engines. But when I started looking at towing big 5th wheels I decided to go diesel. I had many people tell me not to waste my money. I will never tow with a gas engine again.

Numbers are used to judge ability and they need to be payed attention to, but for me diesels just pull smoother and more importantly to me, the built in exhaust brake pays for itself everywhere I go, even just decelerating on a flat interstate off ramp.

I also like the ability to pull my huge Momentum into truck stops to fuel up instead squeezing into small car gas station slots.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    ...I also like the ability to pull my huge Momentum into truck stops to fuel up instead squeezing into small car gas station slots.
    I never thought of this as an advantage to owning a diesel truck but you're right!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I never thought of this as an advantage to owning a diesel truck but you're right!
    ^^^^^ What Brian said. I find this a whole lot easier than navigating the pumps with all the cars.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    I have towed various things all my life from horse trailers in Colorado mountains to hay in Kansas and boats in Florida, all with gas engines. But when I started looking at towing big 5th wheels I decided to go diesel. I had many people tell me not to waste my money. I will never tow with a gas engine again.

Numbers are used to judge ability and they need to be payed attention to, but for me diesels just pull smoother and more importantly to me, the built in exhaust brake pays for itself everywhere I go, even just decelerating on a flat interstate off ramp.

I also like the ability to pull my huge Momentum into truck stops to fuel up instead squeezing into small car gas station slots.
    My experience is similar to that of Dallas (minus the horse trailers but adding larger sailboats). Lots of pulling in the mountains out west with our fifth wheel, too. I second everything he said. The higher torque at much lower RPMs with the diesel can't be beat. I also will never tow a larger fifth wheel with anything but a dual rear wheel truck again, either... been there, done that.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I 2nd the compression brake and transmission of the diesels. It does 75% of my stopping.
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are FT in 2018 310 GK, with 2018 F450.

More truck than needed, never wished I has smaller truck.

I looked and drove all options ALOT, and F450 turning radious made the decsion for me, not even close, Much easer to drive around town, and makes getting trailer into and out of tight spot easier and or possible.

One other consideration/advantage for diesel. If you choose, you can take advantage of fleet pricing on diesel, with substantial savings/gallon.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast