User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cejones4210

Tow vehicle advice

I am new to the forum as we are considering a GD Reflection in particular the 303RLS. We would like to purchase with in the next year, but right now we desperately need a new truck. My husband wants to stay with 3/4 ton vs. 1 ton. Right now he really wants a 2014 or 2015 Ram Diesel. My concern is two-fold,
    1) will the Ram 2500 handle the 303 for weight and towing?
    2) will the height of the new truck bed be too high and cause issues with clearance and the correct level height during towing?
    We have never owned or towed a 5er before and need some direction on purchasing the correct truck.
    Does Chevy and Ford truck beds sit as high?

He would be open to a 1 ton but he really doesn't want a dually, but I have read for safety and stability it would be better to have a dually. Thoughts on that also? I am assuming we would still have clearance issues and towing height issues with a Ram 3500 same as a 2500?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum!

There's a current discussion on the forum on the issues you're asking. Here's a link to the thread... http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...500-and-303RLS

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cejones4210 View Post
    I am new to the forum as we are considering a GD Reflection in particular the 303RLS. We would like to purchase with in the next year, but right now we desperately need a new truck. My husband wants to stay with 3/4 ton vs. 1 ton. Right now he really wants a 2014 or 2015 Ram Diesel. My concern is two-fold,
    1) will the Ram 2500 handle the 303 for weight and towing? Yes, but it'll be max'd out on Pin weight
    2) will the height of the new truck bed be too high and cause issues with clearance and the correct level height during towing? You'd be okay with the 2x4, but the 4x4 Ram trucks are very tall.
    We have never owned or towed a 5er before and need some direction on purchasing the correct truck.
    Does Chevy and Ford truck beds sit as high? The Fords sit lower, especially 2x4 models. I've seen some complaints about Chevy truck bed heights, however.

He would be open to a 1 ton but he really doesn't want a dually, but I have read for safety and stability it would be better to have a dually. Thoughts on that also? I am assuming we would still have clearance issues and towing height issues with a Ram 3500 same as a 2500?
    I too prefer 3/4 ton trucks, however anyone that would like a full size fifth wheel trailer in the future should go ahead and get the dual rear wheel 1 ton truck. After living 12 years and 120K miles with a F250 7.3 diesel, I absolutely love the new Fords. The Ford dealer base is superior to Dodge/Ram, and serviceparts are actually reasonably priced (except diesel parts.)

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We pull our 337 with a Ford F350 Single Rear Wheel 4x4. During all our travels, we've never experienced any stability issues at all. I like the fact that I can park the truck in most parking lots and still between the stripes.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have any level issues with the combo in my signature but I have 16 " wheels on the trailer and my truck has 17 " wheels vs the new trucks which have 18's. I'm also using a 5th Airborne pin box but I don't think its dimensions differ much from the stock pin box, if at all. One other advantage of going with the 3500 is you can get the HO Aisin option. Expensive and real overkill for the 303 though.
    Nick and Nancy
    Abbotsford BC
    2011 Ram 3500
    2015 Reflection 303RLs

Cejones4210
    Are there other benefits of having a 2x4 vs. a 4x4 in addition to a 2x4 being shorter? As we have been looking, I have not seen any 2x4 in stock only 4x4, why is that?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The HD pick-up market is predominately 4x4 and therefore, you seldom see 2x4 on any dealer lot...usually needs to be ordered.

The 2x4 will have slightly higher payload and max towing numbers and will deliver slightly higher fuel mileage. The downside is much lower (than 4x4) resale value due to low demand.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my case I never get off road, and the $5K cost difference of a 4x4 would break the camel's back. I could pay for 75 wrecker calls for the price differential. With $110 per hour labor rates, I don't want to deal with transfer cases, front differentials and additional drive shafts that may require maintenance/replacing sometime in the very long lifespan of a diesel pickup.

But if you live in The North, a 4x4 is the only way to go. 2x4 diesel pickups are very nose heavy, and they don't do well in the snow. Or, if you lived in Florida, I'd tell you to get 4x4 because of the sand.

4x4 diesel pickups do sell much better on the used retail market, but any used 2x4 diesel in reasonably good condition will also sell fast. But living in the Mid South, we seldom see snow. My 2x4 SuperDuty diesel does a fine job doing anything I ask of it.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cejones4210 View Post
    1) will the Ram 2500 handle the 303 for weight and towing?
    2) will the height of the new truck bed be too high and cause issues with clearance and the correct level height during towing?
    Does Chevy and Ford truck beds sit as high?

I tow my 303 with a 2013 GMC 2500 Extended cab 4x4 Z71 package 6.0v8 gas 4.10 gears It handles my 303 with no problems. I also have AirLift airbags. I installed them prior to getting my 303. First time I hooked up the 303 I had 15 lbs in my bags and the truck did not sag. This picture I had 15 lbs in my bags. This was the day we picked it up! When I tow I put 40 lbs in my bags and it rides like a dream. If someday we were to go from the East coast to the West coast on a extended trip I would probably buy a diesel.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140711_143119222.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	1102

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Similar to MrLucky, I tow my 303 with a 2012 Ford F250 ClubCab 4x4, 6.2L gas with 3.73 gears. I will most likely be changing to 4.30 gears because in a gasser the 3.73 ratio just doesn't do best is hill country. I pulled a different 5er for 10 yrs with a Chevy D-Max and could not justify a diesel (regardless of brand) this time around with the improvements that have been made in the gasoline engines today. One thing to remember is that the only difference in a 3/4-ton SRW and a 1-ton SRW truck is the number of leaves in the rear springs and spring hangers. The hubs, brakes, axles, etc. are the same. The 3/4-ton vs 1-ton SRW truck has the same pin wt capacities (for GM and Ford - I do not know about Dodge). The extra spring leaf only reduces the amount of deflection placed on the truck and thus it remains more level. Air bags do the same thing and are more adjustable, thus I stayed with a 3/4-ton truck.

If you stay with the Reflection 303, a 3/4-ton will be fine, but you may want to add air bags.
    2018 GD Reflections 337RLS, 2021 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC w/auto level dually, TrailAir pinbox, B&W Companion hitch, Fold-A-Cover Tonneau

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast