User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndbb View Post
    Nomadic,
    Glad you found the relevant threads. I’ve searched for threads I know I’ve read, only to get zero results. Usually, I ponder how I can (or how others did) rephrase the pertinent content and try a couple times more.

You make some good points, and from what I’ve gleaned from reading posts by owners of newer models, the assembly process changed to electrical connection to the lights. Then, someone will come along with a newer model where the assembler didn’t get the memo. Good thing we’re all here, talking (and doing something) about it.
    By the way, have you seen the new model trucks with multiple cameras? They are able to “fill in” visual information to provide a picture of objects in the driver’s blind spots. Now that would really be a help to trailer haulers!!
    N
    Houndbb you're so right about the camera wiring. My 2018 Reflection had the camera wired to the running lights and I liked it that way. My 2019 Solitude has it wired hot all the time which I hate. I've ordered a new truck and included the Ford camera kit and I will fix that hot all the time problem with a much better camera than the Furrion. Just unplug it at the truck when done towing boom!
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomadic View Post
    Hi Everyone, thx so much for your replies and help. I love this forum. It seems the “search” isnt that robust as you’d think “furrion” would’ve captured all occurrences of the subject matter. But, when I put in Houndbb’s search text somehow they bring up more hits than my initial. Go figure. So I apologize for not seeing what’s already out there.
    The site's own search facility has failed me so many times that I usually don't try it anymore. Instead I use Google. Simply enter the criteria words for your search as you normally would do, but add "site:mygrandrv.com" (without the quotes) at the end of the search criteria. Google will search just this site and will almost always find things that the site's own search facility does not.

Just went outside and on our Momentum 388 TH the camera is directly on top of the marker light. Not like in the pic from Gold-Country-Livin’ where there is some spacing. So, I’m thinking I will be able to tap into the parking light here albeit tight, if I go that way. We bought our rig in 2017 and if this is still how GD is doing it ... well, kinda funky on there part. Kinda a no brainer to NOT have this thing on all the time. Especially, if people are boondocking and every battery trickle a big concern.
    There are enough complaints and questions about this to be certain that there is no ONE way "how GD is doing it". It seems that at least some factory techs just grab whatever hot wire they can find (I believe a couple of people found they had to turn on the kitchen or bathroom fan to power their camera!) Mine wasn't connected to any power; the installer busted the connection when pushing it back into the wall.

IMHO a switch is the proper solution especially if people want to use it as an observation camera within the rig. Having it tied solely to the parking lights prevents this option. Lastly, wouldn’t it be cool to have as an option pluggable side observation cameras as well. Rears are for driving. But, when you settle in, from a security standpoint, all of them are important.
    If using the camera for observation when parked is important then a switch in the existing circuit may be the way to go, but it's certainly the more challenging option.

Leaving aside the challenge of determining just what circuit your tech-of-the-day used, and where to install the switch to control it without also controlling something else you don't want to control, you'll also have to bring your monitor from the truck into the trailer and to do that you'll need to install a 12V circuit with a cigarette-lighter socket to plug the monitor into. How often will you need to observe what's behind your trailer while you're parked?

For me, the marker light / parking light approach is the winner. Sounds like it's even easier for you than for others since your marker light and camera mount are so close together. Your back wall is a sandwich of aluminum, styrofoam, and other materials. It's a cinch to connect to the power for the marker light, poke the wire down through the styrofoam inside the wall an inch or three to the camera mount, and connect the camera's power to it. Then whenever you need to see what the camera sees, flick on the truck's lights and the image is there in 2-3 seconds.

If you are stuck on the observation idea despite my (priceless! ) advice, then Furrion has one or two models that can include the rear camera, two side cameras with marker lights that are installed to replace your existing marker lights, and a fourth camera to be installed over the entry door. The latter one has no pre-existing mount or wiring, but can probably be fairly easily installed with power from the outdoor light there.

Good luck with your choices.
    Last edited by boyscout; 12-30-2019 at 11:14 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t think it matters what you get, but, how it’s wired. The Furrion camera is actually a pretty good product.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thx Mark. Upon thinking about this more, observation would only be worthwhile from a parked standpoint if I could see 360, ie with side cameras to boot and internal monitor w associated 12v plugin. But, because their is no real provision to tap into the wiring seamlessly anywhere else other than the rear (without great effort), I don’t think it buys me anything to want to “observe” just the rear of the rig. So, I think tapping into the parking light vs a switch is the ONLY way to go.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    The site's own search facility has failed me so many times that I usually don't try it anymore. Instead I use Google. Simply enter the criteria words for your search as you normally would do, but add "site:mygrandrv.com" (without the quotes) at the end of the search criteria. Google will search just this site and will almost always find things that the site's own search facility does not.

There are enough complaints and questions about this to be certain that there is no ONE way "how GD is doing it". It seems that at least some factory techs just grab whatever hot wire they can find (I believe a couple of people found they had to turn on the kitchen or bathroom fan to power their camera!) Mine wasn't connected to any power; the installer busted the connection when pushing it back into the wall.

If using the camera for observation when parked is important then a switch in the existing circuit may be the way to go, but it's certainly the more challenging option.

Leaving aside the challenge of determining just what circuit your tech-of-the-day used, and where to install the switch to control it without also controlling something else you don't want to control, you'll also have to bring your monitor from the truck into the trailer and to do that you'll need to install a 12V circuit with a cigarette-lighter socket to plug the monitor into. How often will you need to observe what's behind your trailer while you're parked?

For me, the marker light / parking light approach is the winner. Sounds like it's even easier for you than for others since your marker light and camera mount are so close together. Your back wall is a sandwich of aluminum, styrofoam, and other materials. It's a cinch to connect to the power for the marker light, poke the wire down through the styrofoam inside the wall an inch or three to the camera mount, and connect the camera's power to it. Then whenever you need to see what the camera sees, flick on the truck's lights and the image is there in 2-3 seconds.

If you are stuck on the observation idea despite my (priceless! ) advice, then Furrion has one or two models that can include the rear camera, two side cameras with marker lights that are installed to replace your existing marker lights, and a fourth camera to be installed over the entry door. The latter one has no pre-existing mount or wiring, but can probably be fairly easily installed with power from the outdoor light there.

Good luck with your choices.
    Thanks for the reply, my concern is not taking the camera inside the trailer but the fact that while the trailer is in storage and when camping the camera is on constantly. Don't how good this is for the life of the camera if power is always present. The monitor will be disconnected when not traveling. what are your thoughts if camera always has power supplied?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also had the constant on problem. I decide to go with a remote control relay. It's been installed for 1 travel season, works great!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Remote Control.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	24101

Jim
    Jim & Deb
    Michigan
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 GMC Denali 3500HD Duramax, 4wd, Crew Cab, 6'6" box, SRW

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moppie14 View Post
    Thanks for the reply, my concern is not taking the camera inside the trailer but the fact that while the trailer is in storage and when camping the camera is on constantly. Don't how good this is for the life of the camera if power is always present. The monitor will be disconnected when not traveling. what are your thoughts if camera always has power supplied?
    My thoughts are well-sprinkled through the many existing threads about this.

I think full-time power is unnecessary, not great for the camera and potentially not great for the battery. I think that the oft-touted reason for having full-time power - to enable a full-time observation system for watching the rear of the trailer when parked - is unnecessary (my opinion) and further requires extra work to install a 12V receptacle inside the trailer to power the monitor when it is brought inside.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim & Deb View Post
    I also had the constant on problem. I decide to go with a remote control relay. It's been installed for 1 travel season, works great!

Jim
    Hi Jim,

This is what I plan to do on my 297RSTS in the spring when I install a back up camera. Where did you install this? I was thinking just inside the hole where the mount is or inside the back cabinet. Be curious to know how you did it to see if it will work for me that way when the time comes.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    Hi Jim,

This is what I plan to do on my 297RSTS in the spring when I install a back up camera. Where did you install this? I was thinking just inside the hole where the mount is or inside the back cabinet. Be curious to know how you did it to see if it will work for me that way when the time comes.

Rob
    Hi Rob,

I was able to access the wiring by removing one of the puck lights in the rear overhead cabinet. I installed it into the wiring and mounted it in the overhead cabinet and then reinstalled the puck light. I have found that I can turn it on from inside the truck but need to be closer to turn it off. Which is ok for me I just do it when walking around our rig as part of the setup/arrival process.

Jim
    Jim & Deb
    Michigan
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 GMC Denali 3500HD Duramax, 4wd, Crew Cab, 6'6" box, SRW

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim & Deb View Post

Jim
    On a side note, this would be great for the water pump on quick bathroom breaks depending on your floor plan. For my floor plan, it is very beneficial.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast