User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie to this

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by woody766 View Post
    Hi Pamanc, This may sound silly, but where are you putting the adapter? Are you putting it at the trailer connection, then the cord. The reason I ask is because the connection on my 29RL is a threaded type, not just a plain type like most cords. Thanks..
    If you know you wont be using the 50A cord, you can get a cord that plugs into 30A at the pedestal, but hooks into your 50A on the trailer. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200107-050753_Amazon%20Shopping.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	24179

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perfect, so with this cord, no adapter? This is just how i was hoping I could do it! Next question, I plan on putting a hard wired progressive industries EMS in, will this work with this cord? Thanks.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perfect, so with this cord, no adapter? This is just how i was hoping I could do it! Next question, I plan on putting a hard wired progressive industries EMS in, will this work with this cord? Thanks.
    Yes to both questions. You will want a 50A hardwired EMS though since that is how your trailer is wired.

You will also want to keep an eye on power consumption since you will be limited to 30A. Running microwave and AC at same time can come very close to the limit for example.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Gentlemen, It sounds like I should just suck it up and use the 50 amp cord, I was just trying to make it easier. The cord is so big and stiff. When I get it out, I will try the power antenna, Great Idea.. Thanks!!!!!
    Yeah, I was really holding back asking you why you were so determined about using a 30-amp cable. The 50-amp cable is a bit of not-fun, very especially when it's really cold and stiff, but it's usually a minor annoyance. It and a few adapters to plug into 30-amp and 15-amp service when that's all we can get have served us well in all kinds of situations, including some where we're glad to have 50 amp service.

There are reels that you can buy, some of them powered reels, to roll up your 50-amp cable if it really bugs you. Some people here have them and might chime in. But for me the "Armstrong" method works OK. Since it's the last thing in and first thing out I just fold it in big loops over top of the bins in the basement. You may get used to doing the same thing.

Welcome to the adventure.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Pamanc, This may sound silly, but where are you putting the adapter? Are you putting it at the trailer connection, then the cord. The reason I ask is because the connection on my 29RL is a threaded type, not just a plain type like most cords. Thanks..
    I use a 30amp adapter at the trailer. This connects with a 30amp extension cord that I already had.

My Reflection is my first 50amp trailer and it's really nice to not have to worry about current draw when using multiple appliances. However, like you, I hate fooling with the 50amp cord when I'm in a campsite with only 30amp service, or when I'm at home and only need to power the fridge.

I installed a PI EMS and it really helps when monitoring current draw when on 30amps.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, This confirms my line of thinking. When I get both of my rigs out of storage, I'm going to check my cords over, I think I have a 30 extension cord that I can use. I appreciate all the responses.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the adapter I am using:

https://www.amazon.com/LeisureCords-...%2C226&sr=8-14

The threads on the connector ring are a little thin so you have to be careful not to cross thread but it's not been a problem. You may well find one of better quality. For the amount I use mine it's worked well.
    Last edited by dryfly; 01-11-2020 at 08:18 AM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	23ED4C42-8F77-4836-BA97-D1AFAC87A304.jpeg 
Views:	9 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	24235
    Thank you Gentlemen, It sounds like I should just suck it up and use the 50 amp cord, I was just trying to make it easier. The cord is so big and stiff. When I get it out, I will try the power antenna, Great Idea.. Thanks!!!!!
    I use this old milk crate. It keep the cord contained and makes it easy to pick up and put in the pass thru.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I'm new to this forum stuff, so please bear with me. This fall I bought a 2017 reflections 29 RL. It's in storage now, and it's killing me not being able to play with my new toy!! I have many questions about this unit. I'm not new to this, as I have my other 5th wheel, which I plan on selling in the spring.
    First question is, It's a 50 amp trailer with one AC. is it ok to just use a 30 amp cord hooked directly to the trailer, as to not to have to wrestle the 50 amp cord. With that, I plan on using a progressive industries hard wired protector.
    Second, When I got it home, only for a few days before it went to storage, The radio reception was horrible. Are there any antenna upgrades?
    Thanks, I'm sure I'll have more to ask.
    Woody - I too have a 2017 29RS purchased last year and have our first season under our belt. I also don't like to muscle the 50 Amp cord. I had and have used a 30 Amp cord our entire first season. I also have a Progressive Industries protector at the post VS installed in the trailer. A friend had his protector installed VS post mounted and when the protector gave it's life for a mis-wired supply he was done camping until the unit went into the shop. I chose the post mount so I could easily replace and continue my camping w/o a trip to the shop. As for 30 Amp VS 50 Amp, I also have only the single A/C unit and have not had any issue with inadequate power to run A/C and appliances. I concede this may be our usage and running a large combination of appliances and hair dryers, etc. could exceed the 30 Amps we just haven't experienced. I also prefer to not run the 50 Amp cord at home before travel. I routinely cool down the refer the night before departure and get a fresh charge on the batteries before leaving. The 50 Amp cord is overkill for that and also don't have a 50 Amp outlet at home. Enjoy your purchase and Grand Design makes above average units and this forum is excellent.
    Gary & Jorie
    2021 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel, MorRyde CRE 3000, MorRyde Pin Box, Renogy Solar,
    2019 Chevy Silverado High Country 2500HD Duramax Std Box, Firestone Air Bags,
    Arvada, Colorado

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary, Thanks for the info. I know in my old rig, which was only 30 amp, we had no problems. A little education for the little lady to not to run everything at once. I had a PI EMS with display on the old rig, and it worked well watching our amp draw. I understand what you were saying, pedestal VS hardwired. I'm still going to put the hard wired unit, with remote display in the new rig, as I really like watching how many amps we draw. I found this ,https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TLDWM4W..._t2_B077VXGTT1, Thinking it should fit my needs well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast