Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie to this

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie to this

Hi, I'm new to this forum stuff, so please bear with me. This fall I bought a 2017 reflections 29 RL. It's in storage now, and it's killing me not being able to play with my new toy!! I have many questions about this unit. I'm not new to this, as I have my other 5th wheel, which I plan on selling in the spring.
    First question is, It's a 50 amp trailer with one AC. is it ok to just use a 30 amp cord hooked directly to the trailer, as to not to have to wrestle the 50 amp cord. With that, I plan on using a progressive industries hard wired protector.
    Second, When I got it home, only for a few days before it went to storage, The radio reception was horrible. Are there any antenna upgrades?
    Thanks, I'm sure I'll have more to ask.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, woody, and welcome from a fellow NYer. There are plenty of folks here with experience on the Reflection model you just purchased. I’m sure someone can answer your electrical question. As for the radio, you’ll get opinions on that, too. We use the entertainment equipment in our trailer simply to amplify the apps and subscriptions we already have on our phones and iPads. Lots of good help here, and welcome again. Maybe you could tell us the receiver you have? (Furrion, Jenson, ??).
    N
    Last edited by Houndbb; 12-29-2019 at 07:11 AM. Reason: split my infinitive! omg!
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Houndbb, Thanks for the reply, I believe the receiver is a Furrion, I didn't have much time to mess around with the camper before we put it away, but that was one of the things. I can't wait to get it hooked to the truck and post some pics.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also I would like to say that I've never done the whole forum thing, but what I've seem poking around on here, this is AWESOME, Thanks for having such a great site.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One AC will work on 30 amp, but not while running other appliances like the microwave etc. You also may not be able to run it right after you pull in and plug into shore power. This is when your converter/charger goes into bulk charge and draws 13 to 15 amps of the 30 to top off the batteries. You can however turn off the charger at the breaker panel and used the 30 amps for the AC. Your AC will pull 13 to 15 amps. You Progressive Industries EMS should have a remote display that will show you the amps you are drawing (there included will most units).

Hope that helps

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @woody766,

It is fine to use a 30 amp cord but you will need to plug it into a 30 amp outlet so as not to overload the cord. You will be limited to what you can run to the limit of the 30 amps. Will need adapters for the trailer plug. With all the adapters and things I don't find the 50 amp cord too bad once you get used to it.

As for the radio reception it is not the best in our 297RSTS either, wasn't great in our previous Rockwood either for that matter. Turning on the power to the TV antenna may help a bit as that is what is used for the radio as well.

Welcome to the forum as well and ask any questions you have. Lots of good people here with answers and willing to help.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Gentlemen, It sounds like I should just suck it up and use the 50 amp cord, I was just trying to make it easier. The cord is so big and stiff. When I get it out, I will try the power antenna, Great Idea.. Thanks!!!!!

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by woody766 View Post
    Hi, I'm new to this forum stuff, so please bear with me. This fall I bought a 2017 reflections 29 RL. It's in storage now, and it's killing me not being able to play with my new toy!! I have many questions about this unit. I'm not new to this, as I have my other 5th wheel, which I plan on selling in the spring.
    First question is, It's a 50 amp trailer with one AC. is it ok to just use a 30 amp cord hooked directly to the trailer, as to not to have to wrestle the 50 amp cord. With that, I plan on using a progressive industries hard wired protector.
    Second, When I got it home, only for a few days before it went to storage, The radio reception was horrible. Are there any antenna upgrades?
    Thanks, I'm sure I'll have more to ask.
    To your first question, yes, with a 50 to 30 amp adapter. Many people do this. I have not bothered to buy a new 30 amp cord, but I only need the 30 as well (one a/c).

Question #2 , when using the radio, the t.v. antenna booster on the ceiling (bedroom?) needs to have the green light on (pushed in). The radio antenna is tied into that. The difference is having reception vs. having almost none.

Edit, sorry, did not see the other posts already covered it! Late to the party as usual.
    Last edited by Gold Country Livin'; 12-29-2019 at 08:46 AM.
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2020 230rl. HATE the 50 amp cord so bought a 30 amp cord and adapter. We also did not like paying more for a 50 amp site when we don’t need it.

2020 Grand Design Reflection 230RL
    GMC Sierra HD 2500 Duramax

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Pamanc, This may sound silly, but where are you putting the adapter? Are you putting it at the trailer connection, then the cord. The reason I ask is because the connection on my 29RL is a threaded type, not just a plain type like most cords. Thanks..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast