User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 230RL GD Trailer

Looking at purchasing this 5th wheel I have a Ford F-150 and looking at the specs the only thing I need to watch is the payload capacity on my truck. Would just be wife and I in truck so we wont max out pay load but getting up there. My max tow capacity is 10,700 and my payload is 1,980lbs. Any thoughts if I should be concerned purchasing this trailer? Was going to add airbags and I know that does not change the GVWR but will help with squatting. Any advise appreciated if anyone has towed this trailer with a F150

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pin weight on the 230RL will be around 2,000 lbs. when loaded. If the payload you're stating for the truck came off the door sticker, you don't have enough payload for that trailer. The weight of occupants, fuel, the hitch, and everything you put in the truck counts against payload, too. The specially equipped F150s (Max Tow with Max Payload packages) could handle it - but not your truck. Near all trucks will reach their payload limit before they reach the max towing capacity. Err on the side of safety.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply they are stating the pin weight around 1,200 were does the 2,000 lb come from?

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRIANV View Post
    Thanks for the reply they are stating the pin weight around 1,200 were does the 2,000 lb come from?
    The manufacturer's published pin weights are dry and empty - one never hits the road with a dry and empty RV. When loaded, a fifth wheel typically puts about 23% of the loaded weight on the pin. It is safe/reasonable to use the GVWR of the trailer for a loaded weight. 23% of 9,495 lbs. is 2,183 lbs.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Just for comparison, I have the slightly smaller and lighter 150 series 220RK and my pin is almost 2,000 lbs.

I full time and have a lot of solar, but I would bet money I still have far less gear in my rig than most weekend campers I see on a daily basis.

When I see people saying they’ll never load their campers anywhere near capacity or only take 2 people in the truck, or come up with other creative ways to keep their nearly overloaded camper legit, they’re being naive.

People will inevitably carry more and more gear and sometimes want to take friends or family along and sometimes families grow.

You’ll have a much more enjoyable experience towing if you stick with either lighter trailers or get a bigger truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, appreciate the information looks like a new truck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRIANV View Post
    Looking at purchasing this 5th wheel I have a Ford F-150 and looking at the specs the only thing I need to watch is the payload capacity on my truck. Would just be wife and I in truck so we wont max out pay load but getting up there. My max tow capacity is 10,700 and my payload is 1,980lbs. Any thoughts if I should be concerned purchasing this trailer? Was going to add airbags and I know that does not change the GVWR but will help with squatting. Any advise appreciated if anyone has towed this trailer with a F150
    Some more info for you.

Scale weights on our 230 are about 8400 pounds total with about 1390 on the pin. This is lower than typical for fifth wheels; apparently part of the design of the 150 series campers.

We pulled for two years with an F-150 and have just upgraded the truck. We just weren’t happy with the stability of the truck and were right at our max payload.

We love the camper, but I can’t suggest pulling it with the vast majority of half ton trucks that are out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike, Linda, and Shady (terrier mix rescue)

Reflection 150 230 RL with free standing dinette (swapped location of the dinette and the recliners)
    2020 GMC 3500 Denali
    B&W Companion Hitch and Turning Point Pin Box locked out

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Per GD's site the pins 1200. Add propane, batteries, the 5th hitch for your truck, all the gear that will go in the front storage and under the bed and you be adding +/- 400 lbs on the lite side. That puts you at 1600 lbs assuming the 230's pin is actually 1200 dry. That leaves 300 for people and cargo in the truck. Puts you right at the edge.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I APPRECIATE the information was very helpful.