Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Georgia to Texas

Planning a trip to Fort Worth then on to San Antonia in April. Want to see Stockyard and Hill country flowers in bloom Any recommendations on campgrounds near these areas plus any sights to see .hope to be in the area for two weeks

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are staying at Cedar Hill State Park currently. It's near Arlington. Pretty nice park. Full Hookups, 50 Amp. Pricey because they charge you a daily entry fee per person plus the camping fee. BUT, if you buy a Texas annual pass, you don't have to pay the daily entry fee.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 weeks is not enough time.... RV parks are plentiful around the San Antonio area and most are pretty nice, so let you wallet be your guide. The State Parks tend to be a little squishy for big rigs like our 41' Momentum we have stayed in several, Pendernales, McKinney Falls in Austin (near the downtown music area), Pecan Park in San Marcos.

Many places to choose from around Bastrop, TX

In San Antonio I think the KOA is closest to Alamo and Riverwalk, but there are several nice parks within easy driving. You can't pass Bandera TX. Lots of Texas cowboy history. Then there is Enchanted Rock State Park for a good day hike, ask about the cave. But if you are at Enchanted Rock then Fredericksburg is nearby, a German Heritage town. This puts you close to the Lyndon B Johnson ranch, I know hoaky right, but I was actually pretty impressed. Of course I like Graceland too, go figure.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    2 weeks is not enough time.... RV parks are plentiful around the San Antonio area and most are pretty nice, so let you wallet be your guide. The State Parks tend to be a little squishy for big rigs like our 41' Momentum we have stayed in several, Pendernales, McKinney Falls in Austin (near the downtown music area), Pecan Park in San Marcos.

Many places to choose from around Bastrop, TX

In San Antonio I think the KOA is closest to Alamo and Riverwalk, but there are several nice parks within easy driving. You can't pass Bandera TX. Lots of Texas cowboy history. Then there is Enchanted Rock State Park for a good day hike, ask about the cave. But if you are at Enchanted Rock then Fredericksburg is nearby, a German Heritage town. This puts you close to the Lyndon B Johnson ranch, I know hoaky right, but I was actually pretty impressed. Of course I like Graceland too, go figure.
    Thanks so much for the info Looks like I need to extend trip for a longer period of time Safe travels to everyone and a Blessed and Happy New Year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We spent 3 days in San Antonio at the Greenlake RV Resort. Wondered the Riverwalk and Alamo sites using Uber to get back and forth.
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...editprofilepic
    2019 Grand Design 303RLS
    2016 RAM 3500 SRW 6.7 I6 Cummins Diesel
    Tottenham, ON Canada

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't help you much about Ft. Worth as we have never camped there. But for the Texas Hill Country I would strongly recommend Buckhorn Lake RV Park in Kerrville; Oakwood RV Park In Fredericksburg; Skyline or Antler Oaks in Bandera; Top of the Hill in Boerne. Fredericksburg, Kerrville, Bandera and even Boerne give you easy access to the hill country and just a short drive to San Antonio. You'd need to spend a couple of days in and around Fredericksburg, a good day in Bandera, another in Boerne, several in San Antonio. North of Fredericksburg is Llano and several other small towns to visit. West from Fredericksburg is Mason. From Fredericksburg your about 100 miles to Austin, but on the way you get to tour the LBJ Ranch, LBJ boyhood home in Johnson City and then have a nice trip into Austin. Lots to see in Austin with the LBJ museum and others on the UT campus. East of Austin is McKinney Falls, south of Austin is San Marcos(outlet mall). Each city has unique things to do and see and most are just a day trip from either Fredericksburg of Kerrville.

Have fun and spend as much time as you can in Central Texas and if you get tired of wild flowers, shopping and other fun things to do head down IH37 to Corpus Christi/Rockport/Port Aransas area for anoter couple of weeks. Just way to much to do in a short time.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AustexGP View Post
    I can't help you much about Ft. Worth as we have never camped there. But for the Texas Hill Country I would strongly recommend Buckhorn Lake RV Park in Kerrville; Oakwood RV Park In Fredericksburg; Skyline or Antler Oaks in Bandera; Top of the Hill in Boerne. Fredericksburg, Kerrville, Bandera and even Boerne give you easy access to the hill country and just a short drive to San Antonio. You'd need to spend a couple of days in and around Fredericksburg, a good day in Bandera, another in Boerne, several in San Antonio. North of Fredericksburg is Llano and several other small towns to visit. West from Fredericksburg is Mason. From Fredericksburg your about 100 miles to Austin, but on the way you get to tour the LBJ Ranch, LBJ boyhood home in Johnson City and then have a nice trip into Austin. Lots to see in Austin with the LBJ museum and others on the UT campus. East of Austin is McKinney Falls, south of Austin is San Marcos(outlet mall). Each city has unique things to do and see and most are just a day trip from either Fredericksburg of Kerrville.

Have fun and spend as much time as you can in Central Texas and if you get tired of wild flowers, shopping and other fun things to do head down IH37 to Corpus Christi/Rockport/Port Aransas area for anoter couple of weeks. Just way to much to do in a short time.
    Thanks for the very detailed information I requested Have decided to spend to at least 3 weeks in the area maybe more. Save travels to all and hope everyone has a safe and prosperous 2020

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Benny,

One thing I forgot to mention. TEXAS WEATHER. Yes we do have weather just different than anywhere else in the world. You may be camping in Central Texas and one day you will have temps in the upper 80's enjoying a cool one and the pool. The next morning you may wake up with howling winds and snow blowing and then (insert favorite Forrest Gump line here) it will be clear and in the 50's.

We do have winters - it just comes one or two days a month from November to early April. Then we have Summer, then fake fall, then more summer, one day of winter, more summer, a couple days of spring, winter, another day of spring and then summer.

Late March and April are our raining months, so be very aware of the weather. We are an dry state so when we do get rain it will be a bunch and will run off into creek beds and river beds quickly and that little dip in the road that you drove over an hour ago will be a raging river well over the roadway in a few minutes.

Remember we're from Texas - with the exception of far North Texas (Lubbock area) and Big Bend (El Paso) - we don't get snow. Therefore we don't know how to drive on it or in it. Most likely we will have had a day above freezing, the a cold front to bring the temps down to freezing, then freezing rain and finally snow. So the roads will be a layer of ice covered by snow. Stay in the campsite and laugh at all of Texans trying walk over the snow and ice. Remember it will be warmer (or summer) soon.

I hope you have a great trip. I've been here for over 70 years and there are still so many places that I haven't seen or would like to see again. And the weather, that was us about 6 years ago in Kerrville. We had swimming weather on Friday, turned colder on Saturday (WalMart sold out of coats) and Sunday morning we have blowing snow. By afternoon it was back in the 50's. Weird Texas weather.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Les that is probably the best description of Texas weather I have ever read lol!! Benny and Vickie come on down, you will love our beautiful diverse state, been here 40 years myself.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Benny,

I did a little research of things to do in the Fort Worth Area. I'm going to try and list them in order that I would do them, may not be your interest.
    1) Go See Jerry World and take the tour. If your a Cowboy fan or not that is one big place and worth the price of the tour,
    2) Take in a game at the new Globe Life Park (or take the tour). George Bush may not have been your favorite president, but he did know how to design a baseball stadium,
    3) Watch the Longhorn Cattle Drive in downtown Ft. Worth,
    4) Take a driving tour of Frisco TX. This little town has now grown into a mega-sports town with the home of the Cowboys, sports museums' and much more,
    5) Visit a couple of world class museums' on the TCU campus.

North Texas is a little behind in the RV campground development. We looked last fall when the girls were having gymnastic competition and didn't find anything close to the event menu.

A shout out to all our Dallas/Ft Worth Metroplex members. Let's help Benny and Vickie has an wonderful and adventurous trip to Texas.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast