Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard water deposits around toilet bowl seal

What does everyone do to remove hard water deposits around the toilet bowl seal? We clean the bowl regularly but deposits still build up. I have tried scrubbing with a coarse toilet brush but they still persist. A couple of times I have even resorted to scraping with a hard plastic scraper but am afraid of damaging the seal. Elsewhere I would use CLR but don't really want to introduce that into the tank either.
    I suppose a water softener would help but don't want to go that far if I don't have to.
    Thanks -Rob-
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya - Follow us at rctravels.rmcd.ca
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, Cerbo GX, 6x Battle Born 100AH, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Sierra Duramax Denali 4x4 DRW Longbox Crew Cab, Curt Q25

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KamFlyer View Post
    What does everyone do to remove hard water deposits around the toilet bowl seal? We clean the bowl regularly but deposits still build up. I have tried scrubbing with a coarse toilet brush but they still persist. A couple of times I have even resorted to scraping with a hard plastic scraper but am afraid of damaging the seal. Elsewhere I would use CLR but don't really want to introduce that into the tank either.
    I suppose a water softener would help but don't want to go that far if I don't have to.
    Thanks -Rob-
    I use vinegar in my dishwasher at home to keep the deposits from building up on the heating element. Maybe pour some vinegar in and let it sit?

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vinegar

I purchased a water softener. Makes a world of difference!
    Chris

2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2018 Chevrolet 2500HD

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2rad4u View Post
    Vinegar

I purchased a water softener. Makes a world of difference!
    ^^^This. A really good spend. On top of it making the water nicer to wash and shower in, it is much easier on the plumbing.

We run softened water into our trailer including fresh water and flushing black tanks. While we do not drink the water on the trailer, the combination of 5 micron sediment filter in front of a water softener and then into a .5 micron carbon filter sure make it clean and nice. No smells, no little water borne critters so safe for tooth brushing and dish washing, good soap action and easy on plumbing.
    Last edited by JColeman; 12-29-2019 at 11:59 AM.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vinegar, diluted is ok just takes longer.

I wish I had purchased a water softener when we spent the summer in hard water country. I got bad build up in the kitchen faucet and when it broke loose it stopped up the faucet, took me days to get it cleaned out.

So if you are noticing build up now it's a good time to get a water softener going, the longer you put it off the worse the problem will become.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750