User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 6.2 is great engine. Just understand on grades you need rpms. Don’t be afraid of running at 35-4500rpm. My truck does everything I need it to do and it does it great. Pretty Cheap to operate and reliable. I have yet to feel underpowered.
    2022 F350 DRW - Lariat, LBCC, 4x4, 7.3L, 4.30 gears
    2018 Imagine 2150RB (SOLD)
    2005 Four Wheel Camper, Grandby (Slide-in Popup)
    2020 Reflection 337RLS (SOLD)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just be prepared... It seems gas owners may be considered as second class owners.
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
    Just be prepared... It seems gas owners may be considered as second class owners.
    Not at all, just second place in a two man race.

lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    @luke79,

That will work very well for you with that trailer. No need for diesel unless you want it.

Rob
    Thanks Rob. The F-350 hasn't materialized because it sold before I could get to it. I wanted to do that deal before the years end because Illinois changed their law and they are charging trade in tax now. I guess that was meant to be. It did have the new 7.3L engine instead of the 6.2.

Another option I'm thinking of is a Ram 2500 or 3500. Would prefer 3500 diesel with AISIN transmission. I'm not sure what to think about 2500 diesel and their 68RFE transmission. Any problems with it?

The dealer over by me has two vehicles a 3500 diesel AISIN transmission with trailer backup assist at 53K and 2500 Diesel/68RFE transmission at 45K; no trailer backup assist. What's the right price for these trucks? I stopped by and they wouldn't negotiate at all. So I walked, but today got a call from a sales guy claiming to have coupons .

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverrunner View Post
    The 6.2 is great engine. Just understand on grades you need rpms. Don’t be afraid of running at 35-4500rpm. My truck does everything I need it to do and it does it great. Pretty Cheap to operate and reliable. I have yet to feel underpowered.
    My 5.0 F-150 is ok out here in the midwest, it does struggle going up hill for a longer period of time. I guess I'd say it's ok. It will go all the way to the top without any hesitation and it doesn't overheat. I'm more concerned with the stopping power once you have to go down. That's why I like the idea of a diesel and an exhaust brake.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luke79 View Post
    Thanks Rob. The F-350 hasn't materialized because it sold before I could get to it. I wanted to do that deal before the years end because Illinois changed their law and they are charging trade in tax now. I guess that was meant to be. It did have the new 7.3L engine instead of the 6.2.

Another option I'm thinking of is a Ram 2500 or 3500. Would prefer 3500 diesel with AISIN transmission. I'm not sure what to think about 2500 diesel and their 68RFE transmission. Any problems with it?

The dealer over by me has two vehicles a 3500 diesel AISIN transmission with trailer backup assist at 53K and 2500 Diesel/68RFE transmission at 45K; no trailer backup assist. What's the right price for these trucks? I stopped by and they wouldn't negotiate at all. So I walked, but today got a call from a sales guy claiming to have coupons .
    I went with the 3500 AISIN with the High Output 6.7 Diesel rather than the 2500. The payload on the 2500 was only about 650 lbs more than my Tundra and I have heard that the 68RFE is not as strong a transmission for towing. More problems with the 68RFE from what I have read. The AISIN is a true medium duty transmission is what I found out. The 3500 has nearly 4000 lbs payload with mine at 3838 lbs. I figure this way I am covered if I ever go to a bigger 5th wheel. I know some of the forum members originally went 2500 and then had to trade up shortly after because of the low payload that they had. I figured I would learn from that and just go straight to the 3500 and be good.

Don't have much input on price since I am from Canada and paid a lot more for my truck than the $53K that you have quoted.

Very happy with my 3500. Have towed 6000 miles with it so far and very pleased. Can't go wrong with these trucks for towing. For daily driving I am happy with as well.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So folks know the new 7.3 Ford gas motor looks impressive and with the new 10 speed trans should be a winner. I am going to take a very hard look at one. Then again the new 6.7 with 1150 lbs of torque has my interest too. Just want both to be out a while before I buy.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tow a GD 230rl 5th wheel with a RAM 2500 gasser (6.4 hemi). I've been all over Colorado, Wyoming, Utah and New Mexico and my gas truck does just fine. Would I prefer a diesel when climbing the Ike Gauntlet? Sure, but I still make it with gasser and get close to 10mpg.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard nothing but complaints from gas vehicle tow owners and their gas mileage when towing. With a F-250 diesel towing a 36' 5th wheel I'm getting 10-12 mpg depending on terrain and wind.

Setting Up Camp BuddyLovesCamping's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luke79 View Post
    We live in the midwest, but we typically go west through the Rockies. I did tow that trailer with an F150 5.0 through the Rockies and Sierras and it actually did ok.

Question about today's powerstroke? I know older models used to have issues and some owners have decided to bullet proof it. Is this still an issue on today's trucks? Has Ford finally figured it out and the engine is pretty much trouble free?

I have a 2012 (a very good year) F350 SD crew cab, long bed, DRW 6.7 Powerstroke with 200K miles on it. Last summer pulled our 14K lb Solitude 344GK from Florida to Oregon including all the requisite mountain passes enroute. Never missed a beat, rock stable even in high winds, and except when rounding sharp curves, maintained highway speed (60+ mph) uphill and down on everything up to 4-5% grades. Steeper grades made it work harder for its supper, as might be expected. The 2012 model doesn't have the exhaust brakes found on newer models, but even so, the engine compression alone was enough to keep the speed in check on 4-5% downgrades. Steeper slopes required occasional application of the brake pedal. With the exception of exhaust brakes, I wouldn't change a thing if I were to buy new.

With that said, the gas version should work fine for you, but personally I'm a true believer in diesel.

-Ken
    Ken, Suzi & Buddy (Sporgi - Spaniel/Corgi)
    Dallas, OR
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 344GK-R
    2012 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L, CC, LB, DRW, 4x4

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast