User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Calbar, in your particular situation, that's probably a great choice for a tow vehicle. Price seems very reasonable to me. Good Luck.
    Dave and Sue Dion
    SCPO(SW), USN, (Ret)
    2020 GD Imagine 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT FX4 5.0L,1823 payload

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luke79 View Post
    Thanks Rob. The F-350 hasn't materialized because it sold before I could get to it. I wanted to do that deal before the years end because Illinois changed their law and they are charging trade in tax now. I guess that was meant to be. It did have the new 7.3L engine instead of the 6.2.

Another option I'm thinking of is a Ram 2500 or 3500. Would prefer 3500 diesel with AISIN transmission. I'm not sure what to think about 2500 diesel and their 68RFE transmission. Any problems with it?

The dealer over by me has two vehicles a 3500 diesel AISIN transmission with trailer backup assist at 53K and 2500 Diesel/68RFE transmission at 45K; no trailer backup assist. What's the right price for these trucks? I stopped by and they wouldn't negotiate at all. So I walked, but today got a call from a sales guy claiming to have coupons .
    I just traded in my 2019 F-250 6.2 on a Ram 3500. The Ford had terrible paint issues and the Dodge dealer actually gave me more for my truck on trade than I paid for it. They have some really great incentives now. I have the Aisin tranny and the Cummins 6.7. Take a look at it--I really like the combination. My neighbor is a diesel mechanic and told me if your towing to get the Cummins.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a ‘16 2500 CTD w/ 68RE, have had no issues. I had a ‘12 before they went with DEF and had some issues with it (oxygen sensors), but the ‘16 has been great for 58K miles. It has a 6.5K rated rear axle and load E tires (4K each), plus a 14K equalizer hitch and it tows my 285BHTS well.
    Last edited by lawdog1; 01-08-2020 at 05:24 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i thought i read that the 350 in question was a 2019 but u said it had the new 7.3 gas engine. not sure how that’s possible, the 7.3 (Godzilla”) is a 2020 engine and is just now arriving at dealerships. hmm

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread is now going to more a sinister direction as brand vs brand and somewhat fuel vs fuel. I would say to the OP to get a gasser and call it a day. You asked for something easy to maintain. Diesels you will have expenses especially if this is just a tow vehicle. You can probably get something made in the last 5 years for a really good price with the 2020s coming out. Personally the 11-16 generation had a really stout powertrain and I have no reservations with my trailer in tow.
    2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty XLT CCSB 4x4 6.2 gasser 3.73 E locker
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 285BHS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FordmanNJ View Post
    This thread is now going to more a sinister direction as brand vs brand and somewhat fuel vs fuel. I would say to the OP to get a gasser and call it a day. You asked for something easy to maintain. Diesels you will have expenses especially if this is just a tow vehicle. You can probably get something made in the last 5 years for a really good price with the 2020s coming out. Personally the 11-16 generation had a really stout powertrain and I have no reservations with my trailer in tow.
    The OP asked about gas vs. diesel. I would hope he appreciates the opinions of the forum on various brands and experiences.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bmbl-bee View Post
    The OP asked about gas vs. diesel. I would hope he appreciates the opinions of the forum on various brands and experiences.
    I understand what was asked in the original post and I understand where posters are coming from. I agree he or she will hopefully appreciate the different experiences. I get the diesel camp are going to give just as much opinion as someone like me in the gasser camp. Brand camp is the same way. Completely understand it. I get the loyalty to a product. Hello look at my forum handle! However I just see the long slippery slope that comes with it.

Personal Experience

In 2018, when my 250 gasser was wrecked by a distracted driver, I was given an annoying opportunity, Look for a replacement vehicle. Why annoying? My old truck was paid off for a couple of years at that point. There was only 115K on the odometer and nothing really wrong with it. It was a pretty solid truck for my weekend projects and towing duties. My wife said if I wanted a diesel I should get one. I looked at everything. Yes the diesel would have been more powerful but at the end of the day I saw the extra cost in purchase as well as maintenance involved. My payment would have probably tripled of what I am paying now on the truck if I went new diesel. Used diesels were close to new price when I was looking too. Resell was not as important to me. The plan was to keep the truck for a long time. The other truck I had for almost 5 years from the time of purchase. (if not for the accident, I would still have had the truck.) At the time we were towing a 6,000 pound 30 foot ultralight style trailer. Our future trailer purchase which turned out to be about 4 months later. Maybe I could be considered shortsighted as a diesel powered vehicle would pull my trailer easier? Sure. At the end of day, I knew what I had in the previous truck's drive train. I knew what to expect service wise. So I went with what I knew and called it a day. I have no problem recommending the engine drive line combo.

The only thing I don't like about my truck is the payments which were silly low for a truck. The truck should be paid off in a couple of months since I'm sick of looking at that payment.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Luke79 (OP) specifically inquired on page 2 about Ram 2500 and 3500 diesel trucks and Aisin vs 68RE transmissions after he said the Ford gas 350 he originally posted about had been sold. I was not trying to start a truck war. I hope all like their trucks...my recommendation, drive what fits your budget/makes you happy/fits your needs.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fair enough....

I think that should be enough characters for the post.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The diesel version weighs more which reduces your towing capacity.

For consideration. The diesel version weighs more which reduces your towing capacity.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast