User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5th Wheel and Hitch Rec

Hi all. I am new to Rv'ing and am very excited. My wife and I had promised ourselves that we would take summers off and travel to a different part of the country every year as long as we are able - the time has come.
    I would love your advice:
    I have a F-350, SRW, SB, with the 5th wheel/gooseneck hitch puck system - with a payload of approx 3600lbs.
    I have done a lot of research and want a small RV capable of getting into parks and one that has washer/dryer capabilities.
    I have narrowed it down to the 310gk Solitude or the 320mks Reflection.
    I understand the quality is higher in the Solitude, but would appreciate the ease of towing (less weight and more narrow) and less price of the Reflection.

Also an issue is the hitch. I have heard wonderful things about the AUH as well as the Pullrite slider. Remember I will only be using the hitch for 3mo out of the year. Whichever hitch I end up with I want it to use the puck system as I want a nice clean bed when not in use (9mo out of the year). I would love the AUH (lightweight, easy in/out, easy hookup and release) but understand that the Solitude is too wide for this with my SB truck - I would need a sliding hitch(pullrite).

Any input would be helpful - I am driving myself crazy!

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, Welcome to the Forum!

I have the same truck with a payload of 3523 lbs and tow a Reflection 337RLS with a AUH and love it. We’re live in Bradenton Florida.

I have a BedRug bedliner in the F-350. I drilled holes in the AUH base with Andersen’s approval, for 2 pucks to connect to safety chains. I cut a flap in the bedrug for the goose ball and cut squares out for the 2 pucks. I remove the AUH and hang it on my garage wall when not towing and pop the cutouts back in the bedrug which gives me a perfectly flat truck bed.

The 337RLS came with a factory pin weight of 2220 lbs, but with battery, propane and loaded for travel the pin weight is between 2800-2900 lbs. then you add the weight of my Backflip bedcover, 2 adults, 1 dog, 1 parrot w/cage, cooler and misc stuff in the truck we’re almost at max payload. It TOWS GREAT!

I have the AUH coupler in the reverse “alternate” position which eliminates the pin box from contacting the truck side rails. When backing up I’m limited to about 75 degrees before the trailer front cap comes close to the truck rear window. It’s never been an issue. See picture of truck below

If you ever saw the stress on the axles and wheels in sharp turns you would avoid them whenever possible. See the wheel twist in tight turn picture below.

Last edited by Jerryr; 12-29-2019 at 09:29 PM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much Jerryr for your reply. The pics look great - you have a beautiful setup. I am so happy to hear ur happy with the hitch and rig. Will be interesting to see if there are other opinions but I think the reflection and the AUH may be the way to go for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    I have a BedRug bedliner in the F-350.
    How do you like your BedRug? Is it hard to keep clean?
    Allen & Denise
    Ford F350 Lariat CC SRW SB 4x4 Diesel
    2018 Solitude 310GK R

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yobigal View Post
    We had the bedrug in our previous truck, (and I miss having the rug) all you need to clean it is a hose. Hose it down (we never used soap) leave the bed open so the rug can dry. It dries fairly quick especially in the sun.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yobigal View Post
    This is my 4th truck with a BedRug bedliner. I’ll never own a truck without one. I had one in my 2014 F-150, 2016 F-150, 2017 F-350 and my current 2029 F-350.

I moved the one from my ‘17 to my ‘19 F-350. That one was eventually replaced under warranty after I spilled hot BLACK used diesel oil on it and it stained. BedRug just wanted pictures submitted through the online dealer I purchased it from and the dealer sent me a check for the full refund 2 years after purchase.

I normally only load boxes, coolers, furniture etc in it. I don’t load stuff that potentially would get caught in the weave like straw, sand, gravel, etc so it’s easy to clean, just hose out and air dry. BedRug has a tougher version called BedRug impact liner. It’s composed of TPO and plastic that stands up to gravel better yet still good for furniture. I don’t have any experience with it.

I just bought a 2019 F-150 and it came with a OEM plastic drop in bedliner. I bought a BedRug bedmat for it that just sits on the bottom portion. It keeps things from sliding around and it’s easy on the knees when crawling in the bed.
    Last edited by Jerryr; 12-30-2019 at 01:14 PM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg