Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
    2017 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 PSD Super Duty

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nomadlife View Post
    True, 30,000 miles towing this triple axle 5th it’s a dream. Any new GDRV 5th less than 12’?
    Some of the Reflections are listed at 12'3". I didnt look at all of them, but I saw at least 3 of them at that height. Just take a look at the GD website. Those were 5th wheels, not TTs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2019 295RL. With screens over the vents we top out at 12'-6".
    We have enjoyed our 1+ years of 1st 5th wheel ownership, graduating from a pop-up.
    Just retired from full time work, so out to explore more of this great Nation.
    Ian & Dilys
    Reflection 150 Series 295RL 2019
    Ford F-150 3.5L Twin Turbo V6 EcoBoost 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just downsized from Ram 3500 mega cab DRW with a 42 or 43 foot Redwood 5th wheel to a new Ford F-150 and a new reflection travel trailer. The pros and cons really depend on your must priorities. Yes overall it’s a cheaper initial investment, a little less on maintenance and fuel, and it’s easier to get into tight places but I had to give up some conveniences I really liked. For example, I no longer have a washer and dryer or the amount of couch space I had before but I can get by. It just all depends on your priorities and the amount of storage you need. We are happy with the downsize so far but we aren’t in ours 365.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just downsized ourselves

Quote Originally Posted by nomadlife View Post
    With over 700 threads, I may be lazy but I could not find this topic; only upgrading from TT to the big rigs.

We have lived in our 395M for 2 years and have loved (almost) every minute of it. With big rigs are big problems, like where to park it. We have never owned any other RV’s so I am sourcing some pros/cons from the forum. I’m brand loyal to grand design so I’m really only considering 2020 Imagine or Reflection TT’s.

We will miss the patio, the built in generator, and the one control but we have seen plenty of highway. I would like to see more main streets and county roads while traveling between locations. It becomes a pain to navigate towns with this beast but maybe it’s a problem all trailers face. Thanks for your time

My hubby and I started our RV adventure 8 years ago. We had never spent the night in one before we purchased a 2011 45 foot Newmar Essex Motorcoach. We loved the experience but after a couple years decided we wanted a fifth wheel. We had New Horizons custom build us a 45’ fifth wheel. 30,000 pounds with a 9,000 pin weight. We bought a new 2015 Ford F550 diesel to haul “the beast” as we named the 5er. We sold the fifth wheel recently and have now purchased a 35’ Grand Design travel trailer Reflection 300 RBTS. We decided to simplify and be able to not have to have the biggest site available and the production every time we parked. We travel approx 6 months out of the year. We have had our new travel trailer for 3 months and absolutely love it! Hubby had auto leveling installed and all types of equalizers, etc so it would tow well and we tow it with a 2020 Chev Silverado diesel 3500 HD dually. We don’t even realize it is behind us. Easy, quick, and simple hook up and unhook. We love the simplicity of things now. We would not change our time in the motorcoach or the fifth wheel but the decision to downsize was a great one for us. You might be surprised at how well you like it...we certainly were!
    Last edited by Mjt0302; 01-08-2020 at 05:55 PM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are all very helpful. With these comments and the recent attendance of an RV show, we have found that we fall under the “nothing to lose” category and could always go back to another Momentum... sounds like your loving it mjt0302, congrats!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm definitely biased toward less-is-more. We are literally on the cusp of selling our 28BH (cleaning it out this weekend) so that we can eventually get a Winnebago Micro Minnie (just under 22' long and 7' wide). I currently own both the 28BH (34' fifth-wheel, for the family) and a simple 13-ft "teardrop" (for two people). The glorious simplicity of traveling with the teardrop is undeniable and addicting. I think the Micro Minnie is as close as I can get to the teardrop while still having the essential features/space for four people on short trips.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrack2015 View Post
    I'm definitely biased toward less-is-more. We are literally on the cusp of selling our 28BH (cleaning it out this weekend) so that we can eventually get a Winnebago Micro Minnie (just under 22' long and 7' wide). I currently own both the 28BH (34' fifth-wheel, for the family) and a simple 13-ft "teardrop" (for two people). The glorious simplicity of traveling with the teardrop is undeniable and addicting. I think the Micro Minnie is as close as I can get to the teardrop while still having the essential features/space for four people on short trips.

We went from full time in a Momentum 376TH to just a couple of weeks ago we bought a Winnebago Micro Minnie 2106DS. 22' long, one slide out and a murphy bed. It also has a passthrough in the front that goes all the way across. We finally get to get in to the backwoods, rustic campsites, city, state and national parks on short notice! No regrets. We did buy a winter home in the Tucson area but still plan to travel in the summer months.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191231_174544_resized.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	24204 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191231_122046_resized.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	24205
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never owned a 5th wheel, but I do own a 35' travel trailer (TT). I can tell you the first thing you will notice is the TT moves around a lot in the wind and when vehicles pass you from the front and from behind. I've talked with a lot of other people in campgrounds and the concensus is it's mentally exhausting the concentration required because of the movement of the trailer. My TT weights 8300 lbs when loaded. I added 2 sway bars and that has helped reduce the fatigue associated with movement. My last 3500 mile trip last fall with two sway bars was actually enjoyable as compared to strenuous 2000 mile trip we took earlier last spring with only one sway bar.

(see links below)
    I will be installing this electronic sway control device this coming spring. From what I have read and studied this will provide the stability required to relax and actually enjoy the travel. Not to mention greatly increase safety. I expect to be able to remove the two manual sway control devices.

The second issue I ran into was storage weight. Most of the other storage is in the front of the TT and under the queen size bed in the front of the TT. Therefore, the tongue weight jumped from 780 lbs to 1300 lbs when the trailer is loaded. This of course requires a pickup that can handle this load. OR..... you can move weight to the back of the TT to take load off the tongue. Every 100 lbs shifted from the front removes 165 lbs from the front. However, by shifting weight to the tail of the trailer you make it even more unstable when it begins to sway. I have a 24" platform on the back of my TT and I mounted a plastic patio box to hold a 4500 watt generator and move 200 lbs from the front storage area to the rear. This lowered the tongue weight from 1300 lbs to 900 lbs. (I have lots of data if you want to see some numbers). I ran a bunch of tests and with 640 lbs on the rear of the trailer it was dangerously unstable. At 350 lbs on the rear it seems stable, but I'm still nervous. However, by adding the electronic sway control I believe the stability will be rock solid and much more safe.

" https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...OE3FVDYM&psc=1 "

" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2eA...66trpjpw6DPGV7 "

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to derail the thread, but at 8000+ and 35’, I’d probably seriously consider a Hensley arrow or similar “pivot-point projection” hitch. A big TT can wag the dog for sure.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast