User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by toolman.dustin View Post
    I've never owned a 5th wheel, but I do own a 35' travel trailer (TT). I can tell you the first thing you will notice is the TT moves around a lot in the wind and when vehicles pass you from the front and from behind. I've talked with a lot of other people in campgrounds and the concensus is it's mentally exhausting the concentration required because of the movement of the trailer. My TT weights 8300 lbs when loaded. I added 2 sway bars and that has helped reduce the fatigue associated with movement. My last 3500 mile trip last fall with two sway bars was actually enjoyable as compared to strenuous 2000 mile trip we took earlier last spring with only one sway bar.

(see links below)
    I will be installing this electronic sway control device this coming spring. From what I have read and studied this will provide the stability required to relax and actually enjoy the travel. Not to mention greatly increase safety. I expect to be able to remove the two manual sway control devices.

The second issue I ran into was storage weight. Most of the other storage is in the front of the TT and under the queen size bed in the front of the TT. Therefore, the tongue weight jumped from 780 lbs to 1300 lbs when the trailer is loaded. This of course requires a pickup that can handle this load. OR..... you can move weight to the back of the TT to take load off the tongue. Every 100 lbs shifted from the front removes 165 lbs from the front. However, by shifting weight to the tail of the trailer you make it even more unstable when it begins to sway. I have a 24" platform on the back of my TT and I mounted a plastic patio box to hold a 4500 watt generator and move 200 lbs from the front storage area to the rear. This lowered the tongue weight from 1300 lbs to 900 lbs. (I have lots of data if you want to see some numbers). I ran a bunch of tests and with 640 lbs on the rear of the trailer it was dangerously unstable. At 350 lbs on the rear it seems stable, but I'm still nervous. However, by adding the electronic sway control I believe the stability will be rock solid and much more safe.

" https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...OE3FVDYM&psc=1 "

" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2eA...66trpjpw6DPGV7 "
    What is your tow vehicle?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by toolman.dustin View Post
    I've never owned a 5th wheel, but I do own a 35' travel trailer (TT). I can tell you the first thing you will notice is the TT moves around a lot in the wind and when vehicles pass you from the front and from behind. I've talked with a lot of other people in campgrounds and the concensus is it's mentally exhausting the concentration required because of the movement of the trailer. My TT weights 8300 lbs when loaded. I added 2 sway bars and that has helped reduce the fatigue associated with movement. My last 3500 mile trip last fall with two sway bars was actually enjoyable as compared to strenuous 2000 mile trip we took earlier last spring with only one sway bar.

(see links below)
    I will be installing this electronic sway control device this coming spring. From what I have read and studied this will provide the stability required to relax and actually enjoy the travel. Not to mention greatly increase safety. I expect to be able to remove the two manual sway control devices.

The second issue I ran into was storage weight. Most of the other storage is in the front of the TT and under the queen size bed in the front of the TT. Therefore, the tongue weight jumped from 780 lbs to 1300 lbs when the trailer is loaded. This of course requires a pickup that can handle this load. OR..... you can move weight to the back of the TT to take load off the tongue. Every 100 lbs shifted from the front removes 165 lbs from the front. However, by shifting weight to the tail of the trailer you make it even more unstable when it begins to sway. I have a 24" platform on the back of my TT and I mounted a plastic patio box to hold a 4500 watt generator and move 200 lbs from the front storage area to the rear. This lowered the tongue weight from 1300 lbs to 900 lbs. (I have lots of data if you want to see some numbers). I ran a bunch of tests and with 640 lbs on the rear of the trailer it was dangerously unstable. At 350 lbs on the rear it seems stable, but I'm still nervous. However, by adding the electronic sway control I believe the stability will be rock solid and much more safe.

" https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...OE3FVDYM&psc=1 "

" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2eA...66trpjpw6DPGV7 "
    I would continue to use the mechanical sway controls along with the electronic one. The electronic sway control won't stop the slight sway you get from passing big rigs etc. It only works when the sway is more extreme. I had a 34' TT and used an electronic sway control device and I still got the slight sway by the passing big rigs.
    People keep telling me to follow my dreams...so I went back to bed

2019 303rls
    2017 GMC 2500hd ccsb 2wd 6.0 gas
    Andersen ultimate rail mount hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's good to know, I can certainly keep the mechanical sway control. I just don't want that 300 lbs of stuff on the rear to try and pass me going down a mountain hill.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My tow vehicle is a 2016, Toyota Tundra with towing package (1/2 ton truck). Having said that I'm sure numerous posts will now appear telling me it's not a big enough TV for the job. I installed a transmission temperature monitor. I have a strict practice of keeping the trans temp under 204 degrees. I either slow down, or downshift. IF the trans temp hits 210 I pull over. I drove 5000 miles in 2019 and only had to pull over and stop 1 time. On the highways I usually drive 65 and only occasionally 70. Crossing the continental divide I follow a semi, often only 40 mph. I'm not in a hurry. I weigh the truck, trailer, tongue weight before leaving home and as long as I follow my 204 degree rule I've never had any problems and I don't expect any.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like it works well for your needs. I was wondering because of the length of wheel base. I believe longer wheelbase = more stability and wondering if anyone can comment on that, if a long bed truck makes difference in TT sway?

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nomadlife View Post
    Sounds like it works well for your needs. I was wondering because of the length of wheel base. I believe longer wheelbase = more stability and wondering if anyone can comment on that, if a long bed truck makes difference in TT sway?
    Yes, longer wheelbase of tow vehicle does make a difference. I'm pulling this little (21'11") Winnebago Micro Minnie (sitting on dual axles also improves the handling) has a dry weight of 3,700 lbs. and a GVWR of 7,000. So I can add 2,300 lbs. of carrying capacity. My 2016 Ford F-150 crewcab has the very hard to find longbed (6'4") with the 3.5 L Ecoboost with Max Tow Pkg. So it tows very easily and I get 17 mpg. at 65 mph.

Yes, smaller food storage than we had in our Momentum but the places we'll be able to go with this compared to our 42' Momentum. We can pull in to any gas station when traveling.....no longer have to search out the truck stops nor pay truck stop prices. And higher speed rated tires than we could get for our Momentum means we can pull safer at 70 mph if we so choose to.

Everything in life has a trade off. We don't have the space that we had in our Momentum but this little rig does have a slide out and a murphy bed so enough room for the two of us during the day. We no longer have an outside kitchen (we never used it anyway). Even at 21'11" it does have a full pass through that's a pretty good size (for all the hook ups, etc. and still several large bins for additional cold weather clothing, etc.). It's a big change, just matters where your priorities are.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190617_082838.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	24241 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190617_200537_resized_1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	24243 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191231_122009_resized.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	24242 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191223_110344_resized.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	24244 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191231_174529_resized.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	24245
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nomadlife View Post
    A longer wheelbase on the tow vehicle will help the tow vehicle resist the side-to-side tugging associated with sway. If you think of the rear axle of the tow vehicle as a pivot point, the trailer is applying side-to-side forces at the hitch ball some 2'-3' behind the rear axle. This causes a torque/moment on the truck that makes it want to turn. The front axle of the truck provides an opposing force (resists side-to-side motion via static friction with roadway surface). The amount of opposing force needed is reduced by lengthening the wheelbase (lengthening moment arm).

You can think of it as an old-fashioned teeter-totter with a big kid (trailer) seated 3' from the pivot on one side. If a little kid is seated 3' from the pivot on the other side, the big kid is going to run the show and toss the little kid around. If that same little kid is seated 14' from the pivot, suddenly the antics of the big kid don't influence him nearly as much.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrack2015 View Post
    A longer wheelbase on the tow vehicle will help the tow vehicle resist the side-to-side tugging associated with sway. If you think of the rear axle of the tow vehicle as a pivot point, the trailer is applying side-to-side forces at the hitch ball some 2'-3' behind the rear axle. This causes a torque/moment on the truck that makes it want to turn. The front axle of the truck provides an opposing force (resists side-to-side motion via static friction with roadway surface). The amount of opposing force needed is reduced by lengthening the wheelbase (lengthening moment arm).

You can think of it as an old-fashioned teeter-totter with a big kid (trailer) seated 3' from the pivot on one side. If a little kid is seated 3' from the pivot on the other side, the big kid is going to run the show and toss the little kid around. If that same little kid is seated 14' from the pivot, suddenly the antics of the big kid don't influence him nearly as much.
    That is the best written explanation I have ever seen on an RV site.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCZhome View Post
    That is the best written explanation I have ever seen on an RV site.
    Agreed with you

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We started out looking at Reflection 312bhts TT @ 37' long and found that the 40' Solitude we bought was actually a shorter total rig length (plus the other benefits of a fifth wheel). I would say you could downgrade to a TT but you will obviously lose a lot of storage space and cargo capacity on the trailer - you will be selling stuff or loading up that truck bed. A smaller fifth wheel may offer you the overall experience you are looking for. A Reflection 29RS is only 30' 11" long but still a fifth wheel and 12' 3" tall (which is pretty short for a fifth wheel!). You could step down further to a Reflection 150 Series but I think the full blown Reflections will be a much nicer trailer.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast