User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    We started out looking at Reflection 312bhts TT @ 37' long and found that the 40' Solitude we bought was actually a shorter total rig length (plus the other benefits of a fifth wheel). I would say you could downgrade to a TT but you will obviously lose a lot of storage space and cargo capacity on the trailer - you will be selling stuff or loading up that truck bed. A smaller fifth wheel may offer you the overall experience you are looking for. A Reflection 29RS is only 30' 11" long but still a fifth wheel and 12' 3" tall (which is pretty short for a fifth wheel!). You could step down further to a Reflection 150 Series but I think the full blown Reflections will be a much nicer trailer.
    Yes the height of the 29RS is only 9 inches higher than the comparable Reflection 297RSTS which is the smallest reflection travel trailer. Giving up the garage and not earning the truck bed space is a concern, especially those damn bicycles. Guess the sacrifices will be made when a deal is being worked.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    We also decided to get a smaller rig. We are replacing our 43' Solitude with a 35' Solitude for the same reason. I considered TT's but a 30' Reflection TT is close to the same length behind the truck as a 35' 5th wheel. The 5th wheel has more storage space, an optional 18cf residential fridge, auto level, etc so that's what we went with rather than a TT.
    I ordered a 372Wb and have an almost identical setup that you had, 2019 3500 SRW and a 2020 372WB full paint. I saw that you only had it for a year and saying it was just too big is giving me that sinking feeling, especially reading all the other comments here. How did your SRW truck handle the Solitude? I didn't realize getting a loaded Limited Ram would destroy the payload so much, ended up at 3350lbs including the factory 5th wheel hitch but man... that's brutal.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Downsizing from Momentum to a Travel Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Iamsparta View Post
    I ordered a 372Wb and have an almost identical setup that you had, 2019 3500 SRW and a 2020 372WB full paint. I saw that you only had it for a year and saying it was just too big is giving me that sinking feeling, especially reading all the other comments here. How did your SRW truck handle the Solitude? I didn't realize getting a loaded Limited Ram would destroy the payload so much, ended up at 3350lbs including the factory 5th wheel hitch but man... that's brutal.
    Do not get too caught up on payload, it is easy to quickly loose track of where you are once stuff starts going into and getting added to the truck. Just hit a scale and look at where you are vs your GVWR, that is really what matters (still the same number technically, but easier to keep track of how far to your GVWR vs how much payload you have used).
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered a 372Wb and have an almost identical setup that you had, 2019 3500 SRW and a 2020 372WB full paint. I saw that you only had it for a year and saying it was just too big is giving me that sinking feeling, especially reading all the other comments here. How did your SRW truck handle the Solitude?
    We towed our Solitude 373FB-R with a 2019 F-350 DRW, not an SRW. The DRW worked great for towing the 373FB-R.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We towed our Solitude 373FB-R with a 2019 F-350 DRW, not an SRW. The DRW worked great for towing the 373FB-R.
    Can I ask why the quick turn around to a smaller rig? Was there something about the 42' that surprised you or maybe the model was not right for you? Just curious since I'm getting a similar model (372WB) and wanted to know if there's something I should watch out for.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I ask why the quick turn around to a smaller rig? Was there something about the 42' that surprised you or maybe the model was not right for you? Just curious since I'm getting a similar model (372WB) and wanted to know if there's something I should watch out for.
    The 373FB-R was a very comfortable rig for us. We spend five months each winter in Palm Springs and it's very well suited for long term stays like that. But, we wanted to explore more of the country and we felt it would be easier to find spots in campgrounds with a shorter RV. The other reason we went with a smaller 5th wheel is I wanted to go back to a SRW truck. IMO, any 5th wheel over 15-16,000lbs GVWR requires a DRW truck.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 373FB-R was a very comfortable rig for us. We spend five months each winter in Palm Springs and it's very well suited for long term stays like that. But, we wanted to explore more of the country and we felt it would be easier to find spots in campgrounds with a shorter RV. The other reason we went with a smaller 5th wheel is I wanted to go back to a SRW truck. IMO, any 5th wheel over 15-16,000lbs GVWR requires a DRW truck.
    Ok, thx makes sense.

I'm at least 5 yrs from retirement and having a dually for 6 short trips a summer is to inconvenient, I can't drive that as a daily driver. Yes, I am on the limits of the truck payload so I intend to respect that when moving the RV. When we do travel after retirement I will get a dually for sure. Who knows, maybe I will realize by then that getting a few feet smaller makes a lot more sense.

Did you ever get the the 373FB and DRW weighed loaded up?

2020 Solitude 372WB Full Paint, 3 A/C, 8000lb axles with disc brakes, 17" G rates tires, 2019 Ram 3500 LTD, 6.7L Cummins HO, SRW, Rear Air Suspension

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you ever get the the 373FB and DRW weighed loaded up?
    Yes, our 2019 373FB-R weighed 15,830lbs loaded. We had a washer, dryer and dishwasher in ours so that added some weight.
    Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope this adds something to the conversation. We have the 312bhts and the TV is an F350 longbed SRW. Our overall length, using a BlueOx Sway Pro (2000 lb bars), is just under 60'. Our bike rack mounted to the receiver hitch on the trailer adds another 4'. While height is not usually a problem for us, there are tons of sites we can't get into that a fifth wheel of the same length can because of the better turning radius of the latter.

Tongue weight, with typical load for a week-long trip, is usually around 1500 lbs. We typically travel with waste tanks empty and fresh water at about ~15 gals max.

Driving east across the plains of CO and KS last summer, we experienced constant crosswinds of 30-40 mph. Even with the SwayPro, I was exhausted from fighting the constant sway. The truck and trailer tended to move as one unit towards the shoulder. We even considered stopping for the day, but the forecast didn't improve, so we kept going. I'm not sure if a Hensley or ProPride would have done anything further than the SwayPro. A DRW probably would have helped. Other than that constant crosswind experience, the SwayPro, when adjusted properly, works beautifully, is easy to hook up and you can back without disconnecting. However, I will admit I always keep an eye out for a used Hensley or ProPride... (or even a new FW instead).

Our truck has the electronic sway control. I called BlueOx, eTrailer and Ford, and based on several posts on this forum, the consensus was to turn the electronic sway control OFF when using mechanical sway control. I actually put an instruction label on my TPMS monitor that says, "Turn Sway Control Off" so I won't forget and end up burning through the brakes. Maybe something to consider before adding the electronic sway control??
    Last edited by Fsalmy; 03-27-2020 at 10:35 AM.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. We owned a Momentum 376TH (42') and I drove a dually as a daily driver even before retirement, in San Diego. The dually was a non-issue for me. We full time RVed all over the nation for a little over two years before down sizing to a small TT.

We liked to fly by the seat of the pants....little or no advanced reservations and we found that very difficult to do with a 42'. Often we would call a day or two in advance of our planned destination and we'd be told "the largest that we have available is 30' (or 35')". On the flip side, we've also been told "sure we have a space that you will fit with no problem" and we arrive to find a space that is either far to short or far to narrow for our slide outs on both sides due to trees or some other obstruction. It got to the point where I would tell them "it's 45' and large slide outs on both sides!" and I would reiiterate that at least a couple of times and then get the name of the person that I'm talking to.

Another thing about that size, you just can't pull in to any gas station. It's amazing how many stations across this country still have low canopies. Also, more often than not, when traveling through small town USA you just can't pull over and stop with something that size to run in to a fast food or a drug store, etc. Interstate driving you really miss what America is all about and is very boring but it's an option.

Since we've down sized to a 22' TT (one slide out) it's a whole different style. While we have to adjust to not quite so many creature comforts, the flip side is that we never have to make reservations in advance. We can always get in some place. Also, the overnight boondocking options are endless. Places I would never consider staying with our Momentum, I don't have any problem with our TT. We can get into the rustic "campgrounds" now that we could never get in to with our Momentum.....ie city, county, state and national park rv spaces.

I also really appreciate, after driving diesels (both SRW and duallies) for years, the mpg that I get with my 3.5L Ecoboost even with it being a longbed and FX-4 with Ford Max. Tow pkg.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191231_174544_resized.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	25545
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast