User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DIY Disk Brake Conversion.

I'm considering upgrading my 5th wheel brakes to disk hydraulic with an electric actuator.

I have a 2020 Solitude 310GK.

I plan to do it myself before our trip out west next spring. I've priced out kits from etrailer and StopYourTrailer. Does anyone have any recommendations? I was also considering moving up to 8K rotors and bearings but I'm not sure if that is necessary. I'm open to suggestions.

Many thanks in advance.
    Best regards, Lou & Diane Cetrangelo, Saint James, NY
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat | Dually | Diesel | 4x4 | Super Cab | 8' Bed | B&W Goose Ball
    2020 Solitude 310GK | Reese 20k Goosebox |1,550 Watts of Solar | Victron 3k Mutiplus II | 3 SOK 206 AH Batteries | Disk Brakes | MorRide IS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two things I will not work on -- Brakes and steering. OK there is a third thing -- I will not do flat concrete work.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyn2high View Post
    I'm considering upgrading my 5th wheel brakes to disk hydraulic with an electric actuator.

I have a 2020 Solitude 310GK.

I plan to do it myself before our trip out west next spring. I've priced out kits from etrailer and StopYourTrailer. Does anyone have any recommendations? I was also considering moving up to 8K rotors and bearings but I'm not sure if that is necessary. I'm open to suggestions.

Many thanks in advance.
    You will like the stopping power of disc brakes. I got mine as a kit, but it was lacking several parts, at least as far as my install went....Got great service from Stop your trailer.com
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are updating to heavier bearings, but what the springs rated for? Your weight rating actually depends on the weakest link.
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyn2high View Post
    I've priced out kits from etrailer and StopYourTrailer. Does anyone have any recommendations? . . .
    Talk with Bill Halasyn (813) 363-4685 at Stop Your Trailer. With etrailer, you will have to figure out the right parts on your own. Bill will ask you for pictures of your axle ID plates and he will make sure (by confirming with the axle manufacturer) that you get the right parts for your axles. The price will not be much different than etrailer and Bill is only a phone call away if you have any problems. He is good at what he does.

You will be amazed at the braking performance improvement with EoH disc brakes. The best safety improvement for any 5th wheel.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Talk with Bill Halasyn (813) 363-4685 at Stop Your Trailer. With etrailer, you will have to figure out the right parts on your own. Bill will ask you for pictures of your axle ID plates and he will make sure (by confirming with the axle manufacturer) that you get the right parts for your axles. The price will not be much different than etrailer and Bill is only a phone call away if you have any problems. He is good at what he does.

You will be amazed at the braking performance improvement with EoH disc brakes. The best safety improvement for any 5th wheel.

Rob
    Agree with comments about Bill. Had a issue with one caliper, Bill answers his own phone, sent a replacement no problem....One thing I did find, the wheel studs on the rotors he sent me were too short. I redrilled the rotors for proper diameter and length studs. I re-used the studs from the drum brakes....perfect...1/4 inch difference..
    Last edited by phonemannn; 12-30-2019 at 07:44 PM.
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've upgrade our 337 and a friends too. Bought my parts from Eastern marine. I used Copper Nickel Brake Line Tubing, won't rust and is much easier to work. If you are only going to do yours and not looking to go in business, you will need a few econ o tools. I already had a hydraulic flaring tool, industrial cutter, and bender. I did purchase this little bender from Harbor Freight, more compact and I could bend under the trailer without crawling out. https://www.harborfreight.com/1-8-ei...der-94571.html It worked well for the Copper Nickel, but would not hold up to steel. This cutter and flaring tool should get you by.https://www.harborfreight.com/1-8-ei...ter-92878.htmlhttps://www.harborfreight.com/double...kit-62814.html. Bleeding was as easy as pie, pull the break away switch and open each bleeder. Have someone keep an eye on the reservoir, or check it after each wheel. Upgrading to 8K won't be worth it cost and time to try to make them fit,unless you are upgrading the axles also. I can lock up all 4 tires on dry payment, some driver of a little sports car, better thank the lord I could.
    2022 Soitude 390RK-R GMC Denali
    Haoview camera system; Traxx automatic Water softer; RVLock V4.0 Keyless Entry; RV; Comfort System "Cheap Heat"; Dometic 510 Toilet; Eurgeen Small Dehumidifier; Bluonics RO water filter; AP 24-1002 Propane Tank Gas Level Indicator

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Rob
    Bill is who I got my kit from. Very helpful guy. He knows the questions to ask so you get the right parts.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Bill is who I got my kit from. Very helpful guy. He knows the questions to ask so you get the right parts.
    The alternative to Stop your Trailer is Performance Trailer Braking, also supply complete kits for self install or will arrange an install, got ours at a rally. Also very responsive to hone call support. Both are quality
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m another very happy customer of Bill at Stopyourtrailer.com
    The stopping ability improvement is amazing.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast