User Tag List

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar newbie questions...

I ordered the new solar package for our Solitude 310GK-R and I'm planning on upgrading it a bit. I'm doing a lot of research but I still have a couple questions.

First, with the availability of 300w panels, why do people still use 100w panels? I don't think the 300w panels are even twice as large so you can get more watts for less roof space, less wiring, fewer brackets and holes in the roof, etc.

Second, just curious - do most of you wire panels together in series or parallel?

My plan right now is to add a second 300w panel to the factory 300w panel for a total of 600w. I know that isn't much but I'm hoping I can do that without changing the wiring, charge controller or inverter. Still need to research that further. I'll then replace the two lead/acid batteries from the dealer with two Battleborn batteries. I don't plan to boondock with this setup but I hope I'll be able to run my residential fridge while driving and maybe have enough battery to stay overnight somewhere with no shore power (basically just fridge and lights - maybe a little furnace).
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you connect your panels in series, then the voltage stacks and not the current, this will allow you to use the standard 10 awg wiring and MC4 connectors. You will need to keep the voltage of the entire string under the rating of your MPPT controller. Also keep in mind what the output current is for you MPPT is. That current and your battery voltage will dictate how much wattage you can have on your roof for that MPPT.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Connecting in series is the preferred method but it requires a MPPT controller and the panels should be matched to each other. And if you need to replace the controller make sure the new one can be programmed for the Battleborns.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbopp View Post
    Connecting in series is the preferred method but it requires a MPPT controller and the panels should be matched to each other. And if you need to replace the controller make sure the new one can be programmed for the Battleborns.
    Not necessarily the prefered method. We choose to connect in parallel so we could add additional panels without having to change the whole system. We started with 4 180 watt panels and then added 2 200 watt panels. Since we were wired in parallel this was a simple add. I do believe we lost a little efficiency being in parallel but adding to the system is easier.

YMMV

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since the 300W Jaboni solar panel's Open Circuit Voltage is 39.85 Voc, I think you'd need to connect another panel in parallel so not to exceed the MPPT max input voltage of 45VDC.
    Or change to another MPPT that has higher input voltage specs.

Jaboni 30A MPPT charger specs:
    Max Solar Open Circuit Voltage 45VDC
    Max Input Current 30 Amp DC
    Max Wire Size 10 AWG

300W Jaboni solar panel specs:
    Open Circuit Voltage 39.85 Voc
    Maximum Power Voltage 32.26 Vmp
    Maximum Power Current 9.30 Imp
    Short Circuit Current 9.75 Isc
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The above responses all have merit. To your question regarding 300 watt panels, they are considerably larger and nothing wrong with them as long as the real estate is available. I have 3-320 watt panels which leaves little room left. These panels are considered residential and higher voltage and are cheaper per watt than the typical 12V panels. One thing you may consider if you decide to add more panels, if your charge controller cannot handle the additional wattage and voltage is to add a second charge controller specifically for the additional panels.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I really appreciate it. Since a single 300w panel takes up less space than three 100w panels, I'm just going to use 300w panels. Seems much simpler.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 300w panels should be better overall assuming you have the space for them. On my 3740bh, I can get a lot more wattage up there by using smaller panels since I can fit more of them (13x 200w panels - 26" wide vs 5x 300w panels - 39" wide). The issue is that the 39" panels are a hair too wide to go left and right of the AC without sticking out so placement for them is difficult.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    The 300w panels should be better overall assuming you have the space for them.
    Yeah, I'm going to wait until my new rig arrives and then measure the roof to see how many panels I can add. Looking down the road, the most I could see using is four 300w panels. I also need to see exactly what equipment gets installed on my unit. I know what the GD website shows but I'll wait to see what actually gets installed.
    Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, they are going to put one panel on the roof in the middle in a weird position. You should be able to easily get 2 more I would think (before and after AC units on roof). Depending on how things are spaced, you MAY be able to get 4 panels total up there.

Pretty much you can do 2 side by side where there is NOT an AC unit. If there are other obstacles, you can do one turned sideways or one on one side of the trailer. The space goes fast when you are looking for large unobstructed squares on your roof!