Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Norcold 2118

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Norcold 2118

We bought a 310GK with this unit in it. I do know there problems with the door flaps but once that is fix will the refrigerator work ok. I don’t get a good feeling about these refrigerators.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We lived in our Momentum for 3 years and have the Norcold 2118, never had an issue. It's been used on gas and electric, driving and stationary.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scott d View Post
    We bought a 310GK with this unit in it. I do know there problems with the door flaps but once that is fix will the refrigerator work ok. I don’t get a good feeling about these refrigerators.
    Our 2018 310GK (late Feb 2018 build) has the Norcold 2118. One of the first things I did was fix the door flap issue. With outside temp (high) of 70~75F or less it does fine. Above 75F it struggles (refrig in the low to mid-40's) and above 90F it is very poor (refrig temp gets close to 50F). Above 75F (high) outside temps, the outside temps have to drop into the 50's (for the low) for it to recover. The refrigerator seams to be the weak link. The Freezer, while not great, does better. We have about the same results on propane and electric. We always cool the unit down a day before loading, put frozen gallon milk jugs of water in it and load it with cold food. Dealer and Norcold says it works fine. If it cools below ambient, it is "working ok" according to them. Norcold's official upper limit is 43F in the refrigerator. This is above the US FDA "safe food storage" temp of 40 deg. I have added extra external fans to exhaust hot air. This helps some, but still not great. Our only solution so far (in hot weather) is to buy bags of ice and put it in the refrigerator and freezer (5# lasts a day or two).

Search on this forum ("Norcold 2118") and you will find multiple discussions on this specific refrigerator. Some people have good luck. Many do not.

Chris
    Last edited by CoChris; 12-30-2019 at 11:35 PM.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have spent days reading about these refrigerators. The trailer we just bought has this refrigerator in it. This why I posted the question.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5 years and no problems here. Used for long weekends at least once a month.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a 2015 Raptor then a 2017 Raptor, both with the Norcold 2118 and had zero issues. My 2019 Momentum 399th has this 2118 also and it is currently in the shop getting a replacement 2118. It had the door issues that I thought I fixed, and then the circuit board went out. While we were waiting on warranty approval/parts we did still use it. I just unplugged the thermistor and that would basically make the fridge section work like the freezer, but the temp would actually only get to 33-34 degrees. Hopefully I won't have any issues with the new one.
    2019 Momentum 399th
    2019 F-350

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We must be one of the lucky ones. We have this fridge in the momentum and spent a 4 day weekend last summer in a campground just north of Phoenix. Daytime temps were in the 115's, night temps in the 90's, and the fridge performed flawlessly. Fridge stayed in the mid 30's and the freezer around 5 degrees. We keep thermometers in both. Just don't stand there with the fridge door open trying to decide which snack you want...

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scott d View Post
    We had such serious problems with one that it was eventually replaced under warranty. The replacement exhibited the flap issue soon enough (within a couple of months) but since it was repaired the fridge has been very good for us (touch wood). Set on the mid-level setting of 5 it keeps food really cold (in the thirties) and keeps freezer stuff acceptably cold. It also seems to be well-insulated since we are comfortable driving for a day (six hours or so) without power or propane to the fridge... food stays cold, ice in the freezer stays frozen.

The alternative - a residential fridge - has some advantages but probably only makes sense if (a) you will virtually always be connected to power when using it or (b) you have supplemented your battery support for it with extra batteries and sufficient solar and/or generator capacity to keep them charged.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On our 2118, we had issues keeping it cool on our second time out (during the summer). Fixing the flap problem helped. I also put a small fan in the fridge, having good circulation inside helps (DW use to cram it full), & two 6 inch computer fans outside to help with exhaust duties. We put our beverages in an ice chest, or if we are going to be plugged in, we take a small fridge & put it in the basement for 'em.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do NOT use the door bins, at least not on the left-side door. It won't take the weight, and you will start to see it sagging. You can use a washer as a temporary fix, but ours cracked through and we ended up replacing it. It was enough of an issue that finding someone with a replacement in-stock was an ordeal.
    2016 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
    2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB/CTD/Aisin/4.10
    2014 Polaris RZR 800EPS