User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Furrion camera on constantly

The factory pre wired my 2019 381M so that when you are hooked up to shore power the camera is on. Does anyone know what fuse could be disconnected to remove power to camera?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s honestly could be different on every rig. GD grabs whatever wire is handy and taps into it. It would have to be something close to that area so maybe ceiling lights or similar.
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moppie14 View Post
    The factory pre wired my 2019 381M so that when you are hooked up to shore power the camera is on. Does anyone know what fuse could be disconnected to remove power to camera?
    Hey moppie, there is already a TON of discussion about this in other threads here, including some that you've already participated in! Please don't start several threads when discussion can be contained within one.

Here are several other threads on the issue, including one that you've already participated in, and there are probably a couple dozen other threads on the issue if you search for them (as I just did to find these ones).

If you have further questions, ask them in a continuing thread there where people can see what you know and don't know as the issue unfolds and can help you better.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post271602

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...S-Class-2930RL

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...f-rear-monitor
    Last edited by boyscout; 12-31-2019 at 02:14 PM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like you been chastised moppy. [emoji38]

Sent from my old rotary phone using Tapatalk [emoji3513]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Hey moppie, there is already a TON of discussion about this in other threads here, including some that you've already participated in! Please don't start several threads when discussion can be contained within one.

Here are several other threads on the issue, including one that you've already participated in, and there are probably a couple dozen other threads on the issue if you search for them (as I just did to find these ones).

If you have further questions, ask them in a continuing thread there where people can see what you know and don't know as the issue unfolds and can help you better.

Thanks for the advise, rather new to this.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I have looked at the search engine and could find no real answer to my question as the is there any harm to the camera being on all the time, I spoke with Furrion as there response that it would be no problem, but I see where another person spoke with a furrion tech and he suggested there may be problems if on all the time. I think that i will began removing 12 amp fuses one at a time and see if I can find the circuit that supplies power to the camera.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found the fuse labeled Max Fans which is a 15 amp fuse, when I remove this fuse that eliminates the power to the camera. I will now remove this fuse when the RV is not in use and reinstall prior to traveling. If the fan is not needed when camping I will leave the fuse out. This will work until more info on Furrion camera if power is constantly will harm camera. Looks like it would be a lot of effort to locate where the camera wire is tied into the wire harness, so for the time being this will work.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I have looked at the search engine and could find no real answer to my question as the is there any harm to the camera being on all the time, I spoke with Furrion as there response that it would be no problem, but I see where another person spoke with a furrion tech and he suggested there may be problems if on all the time. I think that i will began removing 12 amp fuses one at a time and see if I can find the circuit that supplies power to the camera.
    The search engine in this site does miss a lot for some reason. Instead use Google. Enter your search words / terms as you normally would, but add "site:mygrandrv.com" (without the quotes) at the end of your search terms. Google will search only this site and will almost always find things that the site's own search engine does not find.

moppie, I'm trying hard to help. Please read carefully. As I've said elsewhere, unless you're stuck on the idea of having the camera operational when you're parked, don't work with the full-time circuit it is on now. Instead undertake the fairly-minor project of connecting a short length of wire to the power wire for a nearby marker light, running it down a few inches through the styrofoam in your rear wall sandwich, and connecting the other end to the camera's power pigtail. After that, when your truck lights are on your camera is on. Simple, and IMO all you need.

The reason some people want a powered camera when their truck is disconnected is so they can view behind their trailer when they are parked - a form of security. Not especially valuable IMO, but if you want to go that way know that you have a more-complicated project in building a 12V circuit with socket inside your trailer to power the monitor, which you'll have to move back and forth between trailer and truck as you need it. You will be wise to ALSO continue your effort to identify the circuit the camera is on now, and to install a switch in it that (a) powers off the camera when it's not needed and (b) does not power off other things on that circuit when you power off the camera.

I believe - my opinion - that the Furrion tech who told you "no problem" leaving the camera on full time is probably incorrect for two reasons. One is that camera sensors - especially cheap ones - can suffer "burn-in" so one which is always on while in a stationary position can develop ghost images of the highlights (bright spots) of whatever it has been seeing in that position for days or weeks at a time. The second reason is that electrical circuits - especially cheap ones - don't like operating outside of their design voltage so a camera attached to a battery which loses power (in part thanks to the modest power drain of the camera! ) may become hot enough to damage its circuits as the voltage falls off.

I hope this and other advice from me and others in threads you have visited will help you make up your mind about how you want to power / control your camera. Seems to me that it's all been expressed, just up to you to soak it up and make your decisions. Good luck. Post here if you have some how-to questions about the path you choose.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found the fuse labeled Max Fans which is a 15 amp fuse, when I remove this fuse that eliminates the power to the camera. I will now remove this fuse when the RV is not in use and reinstall prior to traveling. If the fan is not needed when camping I will leave the fuse out. This will work until more info on Furrion camera if power is constantly will harm camera. Looks like it would be a lot of effort to locate where the camera wire is tied into the wire harness, so for the time being this will work.
    Hurray! Progress!

OK, if you can live with this "solution" you're golden. I would not. We use the fans on our trailer nearly every day when we're living in it, so the fuse would be in and camera on unless we were moving or parking long term... seems fussy to me. I also wouldn't want to be frequently applying stresses to that fuse panel if it's built like a lot of other things in our trailers...

It is NOT "a lot of effort to locate where the camera wire is tied into the wire harness". The socket for your camera's power is attached by a few inches of wire to wires just inside the wall of the trailer. If you remove just the camera you can usually see behind the mount into the wall** and can gently pull out the wires behind there and see what source the camera's power wire is connected to. I've suggested you remove it from that source and install it on a new wire taken from a nearby marker light, as described before here. You might even be able to determine that one of the other wires already there right behind the camera is marker light power, and use that.

**I've seen one instance where the factory technician just slapped the mount onto the trailer, crooked and off-center from the hole in the wall. In such a case you can easily remove the mount too; four screws IIRC. Dab the screws with silicone before using them to reinstall the mount after you're done.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hurray! Progress!

OK, if you can live with this "solution" you're golden. I would not. We use the fans on our trailer nearly every day when we're living in it, so the fuse would be in and camera on unless we were moving or parking long term... seems fussy to me. I also wouldn't want to be frequently applying stresses to that fuse panel if it's built like a lot of other things in our trailers...

It is NOT "a lot of effort to locate where the camera wire is tied into the wire harness". The socket for your camera's power is attached by a few inches of wire to wires just inside the wall of the trailer. If you remove just the camera you can usually see behind the mount into the wall** and can gently pull out the wires behind there and see what source the camera's power wire is connected to. I've suggested you remove it from that source and install it on a new wire taken from a nearby marker light, as described before here. You might even be able to determine that one of the other wires already there right behind the camera is marker light power, and use that.

**I've seen one instance where the factory technician just slapped the mount onto the trailer, crooked and off-center from the hole in the wall. In such a case you can easily remove the mount too; four screws IIRC. Dab the screws with silicone before using them to reinstall the mount after you're done.
    When I get enough time I will remove the camera and marker light and see if I can locate and determine if there is enough wire to hook up the camera to the clearance light line. I really don't like to mess with factory wiring because you don't really know what they have done to make things work, as a rule the factory usually does not make splices in wire runs, but there must be a junction somewhere because all three fans are on the same 15 amp fuse. You are correct I really don't want to have to constantly remove a fuse and reinstall for fan use. I think the white wire usually the hot wire, and black ground. Sounds very easy enough, but when it comes to electrical you never know what lies the areas you can't see.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast