User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 3 gallon Fini model F3OL197N seems like the ideal, light weight compressor for topping off low tires while staying within the duty cycle of the compressor (allowing it to cool off between fills). Allowing you to top off 8 tires in about 15 minutes. Assuming you have access to 120 volts when you need it. If you were to run the compressor full time while filling tire after tire you would violate the 50% duty cycle and risk cooking the piston/cylinder.
    That's a good analysis, but, while a great compressor for filling tires, even that compressor is likely inadequate for a 1/2in impact (unless it has a very large storage tank). Air tools, and I have a LOT of them, are universal air hogs. The compressor I have at home weighs about 1500 lbs and uses the biggest single phase motor available. I had to get an "OK" from the power company before I flipped it on for the first time (nope, not kidding) because of the power draw. Guess what? You take a good 1/2 in impact and start ripping with it, you can get that compressor running >50% of the time. Now, granted, that's not the OP's use case, but still, it should give you an idea of how much air you really need to swing an impact like that. And the simple version is "a whole lot", more than you'll get out of any 12V or even 110V compressor unless you spin one nut, wait for the pressure to build back up, spin the next nut, etc. And even if you do that, or you spring for a 110V 100% duty cycle compressor, guess what? A 20V is still going to be "better" unless you have a huge holding tank. Yeah, there are way to "make it work", but, there's a much easier option, Dewalt 20V 1/2 impact, 200 bucks, and you're done.

I love my air tools, and I have lots of them. They are incredibly useful and nice to use. But take me out of my shop and into the field? I'm not taking a single one of them with me other than my nail guns (which use very little air). Anything that's "on" and using air in big bursts, impacts, drills, sanders, air files, air ratchet wrenches, spray guns, sandblasters. Nope, not gonna be useful outside of the shop. And I have a gas powered air compressor that I use for remote stuff around the farm, puts out about double the air volume that a 110V compressor can, and, you guessed it. Still can't run most of the air tools other than intermittent usage (although, to be fair, this post was about an impact, and yes, the gas compressor will run the impact well, you can't be "on the trigger" constantly, but I do use that setup sometimes to break free nuts on a tractor and it works well. But it's the equivalent of a 220/5HP electric compressor, not even in the same zip code as a 12V compressor).

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by firedreamer2 View Post
    Wondering what size of air compressors are being used for filling 80 PSI tires as well as being able to use 1/2" impact wrench to take dually wheels off or the trailers wheels?
    looking at maybe a Craftsman or maybe Dewalt just not sure of HP, tank size or CFM requirements I will need. Thanks
    I have a nice 20/60V Dewalt compressor I keep in truck, runs every air tool I use, easy to handle Tim W4YN

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tim-o-w4yn View Post
    I have a nice 20/60V Dewalt compressor I keep in truck, runs every air tool I use, easy to handle Tim W4YN
    You run a 1/2 impact on a 20V compressor? If so, wow, I might need to take a look at that thing!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tim-o-w4yn View Post
    If you are looking at removing wheels, but a Ridged cordless 1/2 inch impact. Yep, takes off the lugs from my Truck, no issue...
    Last edited by phonemannn; 01-13-2020 at 08:58 AM.
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonemannn View Post
    If you are looking at removing wheels, but a Ridged cordless 1/2 inch impact. Yep, takes off the lugs from my Truck, no issue...
    R86011B. Works great IMO.
    Last edited by phonemannn; 01-13-2020 at 09:07 AM.
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, the Dewalt 20V model (very similar to the Rigid) that I have is enough for 99% of normal wheel lug nuts. It won't budge a tractor lug nut, which is why I have a big'ol air impact too. But for most uses, and I'd venture a guess and say "almost all or all" uses on a Grand Design, I'd be really surprised if a good 20V 1/2 impact can't get it done. The air one I have is a LOT stronger, but, if you don't need it, it's also heavy as lead, expensive as hell, and as mentioned above, consumes air like a drunk let loose in a brewery. It's great when you need it, but nearly all the time, it's just not necessary. I do use it a lot in my shop, but that's because I have air on tap there, as much as I need, and it's a very nice tool. But it's FAR more special purpose than my 20V. One time, framing up a dog house, I was using the air to sink 1/2in lag bolts.. Well, I got about 3 done, and on the 4th one.. Well, I decided that this was not the right way to go, snapped the 1/2 lag right in half (of course, below the wood!). It's crazy powerful, you setting a 1in bolt into a brush hog (or trying to get it out!), yeah, that's the right tool, no question. Dealing with "car sized" stuff, well, yeah, it'll do it, but you need to be real careful. I bet if I turned it to max torque and let it rip, I could tear the lugs right off the axles on my Momentum or, if not that, I could certainly tear all the threads off the studs. Overkill for sure.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes and nail gun when doing construction.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forget the air compressor

Quote Originally Posted by firedreamer2 View Post
    Wondering what size of air compressors are being used for filling 80 PSI tires as well as being able to use 1/2" impact wrench to take dually wheels off or the trailers wheels?
    looking at maybe a Craftsman or maybe Dewalt just not sure of HP, tank size or CFM requirements I will need. Thanks
    Today’s cordless impact tools are awesome. Buy the type some local tire shop guys use. Usually, they’ll have something like that on their service truck for tires the sizes you’re dealing with.
    A decent oiless pancake type air compressor is good for filling the tires, and doesn’t take up much room.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tankerdude View Post
    Today’s cordless impact tools are awesome. Buy the type some local tire shop guys use. Usually, they’ll have something like that on their service truck for tires the sizes you’re dealing with.
    A decent oiless pancake type air compressor is good for filling the tires, and doesn’t take up much room.
    Agree with this. I pack my little 120V 135psi <30 pounds DeWalt compressor for filling tires. If I have the 20V impact gun, it goes, otherwise it is old school breaker bar and lug wrench.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12