User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing GD 337RSL with Ford F350 and Anderson Hitch

We just ordered a new 2020 Reflection 337RSL and would like to inquire about hitches and towing. This is our first Grand Design and first 5th Wheel. My TV is a 2019 Ford F350 XLT SRW 6.7L with 6.75' box and 18 inch wheels. Tires are 275/70R18E 125/122R. My unloaded bed rail height is 58 inches and the truck bed height is 37 inches. I am planning to use an Anderson Ultimate Hitch. Will I be able to achieve 6 or more inches of clearance above the truck bed rails without having the 337 in an excessively nose high position while towing?

Is anyone towing a GD 337 with an F350 like mine? Do you find it adequate for the 337?

Does anyone have an F350 like mine and the Anderson Hitch? How much does the truck settle when hitched to the loaded trailer? How much clearance do you have between the trailer nose and the bed rails? What position do you use for the Anderson king pin block, ball forward or aft of the trailer king pin? On a level surface how many degrees turn is possible before the trailer nose strikes the truck cab? If 90 degrees is possible how many inches of clearance is there at 90 degrees?

We appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most trucks sag @ 3" when hooked up. Ball height in middle hole and you should be fine. The adapter for the King pin can go 2 different ways. The difference is approximately 8" or 4" in front of ball 4" behind ball if rotating.

One way makes your front cap closer to truck and will really minimize turning and be careful when opening your front storage, can be close.
    I also backed truck up almost to ball, then closed tailgate to go the rest of the way back.....gets close especially at any angle.

The adapter the other way puts rv further away from cab and can turn further. But.....watch out for the bed rails and the wings, a weird angle or slope can cause contact if truck and rv are on different planes at an angle nm or turn.

Just experiment in an empty lot and know the limits.

Sounds confusing, even as I tried to write it out! Lol

It will all make sense when you see it.....

Congrats
    Last edited by Jims94vmx; 01-02-2020 at 06:44 AM.
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ll try to answer your questions since I’ve been towing our 337 with a F350 diesels for 3 years now. Both are Lariats with 6’7” bed and 18” tires. I first towed it with a 2017 F350 and last year traded in the 17 for a 2019 F350. Perfectly adequate and perfect match.

The truck squats 3” when the 337 is attached to the Andersen. That puts the 337 1” higher as measured at 337 frame at the front vs the rear. Visually it looks level.

I have the Andersen coupler mounted in the reverse position otherwise the pin box will contact the bed rails in sharp turns.

I have a BedRug bedliner and cut a flap for the goose ball and square plugs out for the 2 puck holes. When not traveling I remove the hitch and put the plugs in to give me a clean flat bed. I recommend that you get a rubber mat from tractor supply to put under the Andersen rather than directly attaching it to the metal bed.

After the trailer is attached and weight is on the hitch re-torque the Andersen top bolt to 60 lbs.

Max turn when backing up that I can get before the trailer front cap comes close to the truck rear window is about 75 degrees. If you ever looked at the stress the axles have in steep turns you wouldn’t want to go more than that anyway.

I have 7” of clearance from bottom on 337 overhang to bed rails when Andersen ball is at middle height position.

When backing up to hitch with the tailgate dropped you only have about 5-6” from the tailgate to the 337 so back up slowly and straight on.

I always tow with exhaust brake on and in tow/haul mode.

I converted the trailer brakes to disc brakes and it made an amazing huge difference in stopping power.

Here are some pictures.

Here’s a picture of the stress and twist the axles have in hard backing turns.

Max backing turn

I drilled holes in the Andersen base for the Ford Pucks, with Andersen’s approval.

Last edited by Jerryr; 01-02-2020 at 07:06 AM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Jim, Jerry and Linda for the timely response. This confirms what I believed about the F350 and the Anderson Hitch. The stress on dual axle trailers when making large angle backups is pronounced. These heavy FWs do not like to pirouette! Jerry, thanks for the pictures, especially the one showing the holes you drilled in the hitch for the pucks. I was wondering how I would deal with the safety chain requirement? We live in the Rocky Mountains and much of our towing is in the Mountains of Northern New Mexico and Colorado and I was considering the upgrade to the electric hydraulic disc brakes. Did you install the Titan brake system? It's too bad Grand Design does not offer this as an option?

When your trailer is fully loaded for traveling I expect your pin weight is around 3000 lbs?

Thanks, Roger & Patti

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roger and Patti,

My 337 pin weigh5 is between 2800-2900 lbs when loaded to travel.

Andersen sells a chain kit with a plate that connects to the goose ball. I was not too comfortable with that because if you loose the goose ball for some reason you BOTH loose the hitch and safety chains.

I purchased my disc brake kit for a Bill at stopyourtrailer.com. He recommended a shop locally to do the installation. The kit was $1400 and labor about $600. Another choice would be performance brakes which has traveling installers.

Here’s a diagram of the hole locations that I drilled and sent to this diagram Andersen. Some others have measured slightly different locations so measure first if you decide to drill the holes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2172ABB5-17C1-436A-AD26-360660A22FF6.jpeg  
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am running the Anderson hitch using the B&W turnover ball mounted in the truck bed. I have about 7" of clearance between the bed and 5th wheel. I have the Anderson ball set in the middle position. As previously stated you have to be careful when turning and backing but I have never come close to hitting the truck cab. I tend to watch the trailer wheels and suspension for excess stress. I secure my safety chains through the B&W chain loops. I'm very pleased with the Anderson setup, quite and no chucking back and fourth. Plus, my wife can install the Anderson while I'm getting other things ready at the storage place.
    John & Cindy
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ford F250 6.7 PSD

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tow a 2019 337RLS with a 2012 f350 SRW standard bed and Anderson hitch. Empty the top rails are 59" high. The 337rls sits just about level hitched with at lowest setting and I get a rail clearance of 6 inches. Hitch adapter is to the rear to give pin box clearance for tight turns. I have broken the rear window in a tight turn, but luckily the front of the trailer hit the window only. No metal damage. I just bought a 4" offset B&W goose-neck ball to move the hitch back 4 inches to get more clearance from the rear window and tailgate. I also needed the 7-1/8" tube #3227-7 for the hitch from Anderson. I checked with Anderson to make sure there would be no problem using it witch there hitch. I haven't towed with it yet, but believe it should keep RV away from the window.
    Ron & Dianne

2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2012 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel, SWR

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jerry, I just ordered my 2022 F350 SD with the gooseneck ball prep. I am Assuming that I will need to purchase the ball Assembly ? I was Planning on putting the Anderson ultimate in my truck. I see Three models (3217, 3220 & 3221).Which model Anderson do you have? It also looks like you have a roller tonneau installed. I want To do something similar and wanted to install this fuel tank.
    https://www.attatank.com/AT45LRT/ IYO... will the Anderson hitch clear the back of the fuel tank?

Thanks in advance...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    I’ll try to answer your questions since I’ve been towing our 337 with a F350 diesels for 3 years now. Both are Lariats with 6’7” bed and 18” tires. I first towed it with a 2017 F350 and last year traded in the 17 for a 2019 F350. Perfectly adequate and perfect match.

The truck squats 3” when the 337 is attached to the Andersen. That puts the 337 1” higher as measured at 337 frame at the front vs the rear. Visually it looks level.

I have the Andersen coupler mounted in the reverse position otherwise the pin box will contact the bed rails in sharp turns.

I have a BedRug bedliner and cut a flap for the goose ball and square plugs out for the 2 puck holes. When not traveling I remove the hitch and put the plugs in to give me a clean flat bed. I recommend that you get a rubber mat from tractor supply to put under the Andersen rather than directly attaching it to the metal bed.

After the trailer is attached and weight is on the hitch re-torque the Andersen top bolt to 60 lbs.

Max turn when backing up that I can get before the trailer front cap comes close to the truck rear window is about 75 degrees. If you ever looked at the stress the axles have in steep turns you wouldn’t want to go more than that anyway.

I have 7” of clearance from bottom on 337 overhang to bed rails when Andersen ball is at middle height position.

When backing up to hitch with the tailgate dropped you only have about 5-6” from the tailgate to the 337 so back up slowly and straight on.

I always tow with exhaust brake on and in tow/haul mode.

I converted the trailer brakes to disc brakes and it made an amazing huge difference in stopping power.

Here are some pictures.

Here’s a picture of the stress and twist the axles have in hard backing turns.

Max backing turn

I drilled holes in the Andersen base for the Ford Pucks, with Andersen’s approval.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flynaz View Post
    Jerry, I just ordered my 2022 F350 SD with the gooseneck ball prep. I am Assuming that I will need to purchase the ball Assembly ? I was Planning on putting the Anderson ultimate in my truck. I see Three models (3217, 3220 & 3221).Which model Anderson do you have? It also looks like you have a roller tonneau installed. I want To do something similar and wanted to install this fuel tank.
    https://www.attatank.com/AT45LRT/ IYO... will the Anderson hitch clear the back of the fuel tank?

Thanks in advance...
    P.s. nice carpet in your Truck bed...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk