User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kenmason11 View Post
    The problem I had was rubbing and rust under the straps. After I cleaned up the rust spots, I wrapped the metal straps in contact electrical tape. This worked great for making them tight and providing a soft buffer between the strap and tank.
    Wouldn't this compound the problem of the straps being too tight? Or, did you change your straps? Another one of my concerns is the fact the doors to the tanks don't have any kind of lock on them. It would be real easy for anyone passing by to either shut off the tanks (as a prank) or just steal the tanks. What is everyone else doing with this? Is it a valid concern?

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ElSimon View Post
    Wouldn't this compound the problem of the straps being too tight? Or, did you change your straps? Another one of my concerns is the fact the doors to the tanks don't have any kind of lock on them. It would be real easy for anyone passing by to either shut off the tanks (as a prank) or just steal the tanks. What is everyone else doing with this? Is it a valid concern?
    Doors cannot be locked. Valves are required to be accessible by first responder in an emergency situation. Tanks also must be mounted/retained in a manner that does not allow movement, including rotation, which is why a web strap cannot be used. The NFPA is quite clear about this, and must be followed for DOT-compliance.
    Last edited by geotex1; 01-14-2020 at 07:43 AM.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had the same problem on our 29rs on both tank straps and had both replaced under warranty. The first time I refilled the tanks one clamp bent and the other side the rivet broke making one strap unusable. Now no problems.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little late to this party but I have struggled with the propane straps since day one. Good to know about the NFPA (whoever they are???) requirements, I figured there was a reason we had metal straps.

I am thinking that maybe the screw location from the initial installation is my problem. You all have given me ideas about how to fix this problem so I will take another run at it over the next couple of days and quit just cursing and beating on my propane straps.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    A little late to this party but I have struggled with the propane straps since day one. Good to know about the NFPA (whoever they are???) requirements, I figured there was a reason we had metal straps.

I am thinking that maybe the screw location from the initial installation is my problem. You all have given me ideas about how to fix this problem so I will take another run at it over the next couple of days and quit just cursing and beating on my propane straps.
    National Fire Protection Association. https://www.nfpa.org/About-NFPA
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Doors cannot be locked. Valves are required to be accessible by first responder in an emergency situation. Tanks also must be mounted/retained in a manner that does not allow movement, including rotation, which is why a web strap cannot be used. The NFPA is quite clear about this, and must be followed for DOT-compliance.
    While this is true, in practice I've never seen a first responder attempt to get close enough to close the valves in the event of a fire. There is (or was) a member here whose rig burned. I don't believe the responders attempted to get close enough to close the valves in that situation either.

I have, however, seen people steal the tanks from trailers while folks were inside. There was a situation where a truck was stopped before it could get out of a park, and the back was full of the tanks they had stolen on their drive through. Those with locked doors didn't have a problem.
    2016 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
    2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB/CTD/Aisin/4.10
    2014 Polaris RZR 800EPS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    While this is true, in practice I've never seen a first responder attempt to get close enough to close the valves in the event of a fire. There is (or was) a member here whose rig burned. I don't believe the responders attempted to get close enough to close the valves in that situation either.
    It was Jim & Ginnie Hinkle who posted about their 337 burning up due a fuel leak in their F350. Here is that thread complete with pictures of the 337 on fire and post fire:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ht=fire+ginnie

Secondly - while it is true you or most of us have never seen (or will never hopefully see) a first responder get close enough to close valves and/or remove the tanks, it did happen with Jim's fire. I suspect it is part of the training and duty to do this factoring in safety/other considerations. It would be interesting to hear from a fireman or other first responder on this. Here is that thread Jim's post # 8:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...t=propane+lock

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

I have, however, seen people steal the tanks from trailers while folks were inside. There was a situation where a truck was stopped before it could get out of a park, and the back was full of the tanks they had stolen on their drive through. Those with locked doors didn't have a problem.
    I will respectfully disagree with you about first responders as I have been one for 4 decades now, and am a trainer of trainers. It's been over a decade now, but I also trained volunteer firefighters specifically how to fight nasty fires like LNG and metals.

As for stealing, I hear you. However, this is exactly why the RV straps have PAD EYES on them! If you put a cut resistant barrel lock on just the top strap, it is more challenging to a quick grab and run than a lock on the baggage door which can be popped with a Buck knife, screwdriver, mini pry bar. I simply have keyed alike, no-cut coupler locks on mine. If you scoff at that, you can run the meatiest chain or cable of your choice with massive case-hardened lock through the cylinder handles and around the frame angles, but your valve will still be totally accessible.

I would also imagine you reside in a State without required trailer safety inspections. I do not. Here in PA they are mandatory, and if you go to the specialty inspection shops who take it seriously (like actually pull hub drums to inspect bearings and brakes), having a lock on the door will get you a failed inspection and requirement to remedy and pay for reinspection.

As with any regulation or rule, you can choose to ignore or follow as long as you also do not argue the consequences of your choice if acting contrary to them. Take an example of a camper fire. Say that trailer fire caused damage to other campers and adjacent property. That camper owner could be left high and dry by his or her insurer and responsible for the extended damage if the fire investigators render an opinion that locked access prevented more rapid control. Insurers are for-profit businesses, and my experiences personally and professionally show a clear pattern of investing to minimize payout on policies. YMMV.
    Last edited by geotex1; 01-15-2020 at 08:27 PM.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't lock the propane doors. In the 10 years that I have been studying the RV life I have run across a few theft stories. It is actually very rare in the RV world. I don't change what I do because of a very isolated incident.

As far as the mounting straps go I needed to fill a propane tank so while it was empty and easy to wrestle I looked at the installation of my straps. I was surprised to see that the predrilled holes in the straps were not used for the installation, the installer drilled new holes in it. The spacing of the new holes was wider than the predrilled holes. This in turn made the strap tighter around the tank and thus my frustration with getting them latched.

I took one screw out, moved it over about and inch and drilled new holes and installed it. My tank straps now close easily but still hold the tanks firmly in place. Wish I would have taken the time over a year ago to do this. Since I winter in the RV I change my propane tanks 2-3 times a week. Thanks to the OP for bringing this subject up.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having the same problem on my 310 GK. Had my first tank refill at a KOA in Arizona and the attendant filling the tanks couldn't get the cam to relatch securely. After several minutes he finally got one on each side to latch properly. I've tried several times to re latch them but the cams bend and now one of retaining straps has broken loose from the attaching point. Am still working the problem but it seems to be a quality control or design problem.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast