User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. So tight and the clamps are so weak. I broke mine a few days ago but I change out every 7-10 days in the winter. And am looking for new ideas. Anyone have photos of their mods? I have some thoughts but am no brain in that area.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    A little late to this party but I have struggled with the propane straps since day one. Good to know about the NFPA (whoever they are???) requirements, I figured there was a reason we had metal straps.

I am thinking that maybe the screw location from the initial installation is my problem. You all have given me ideas about how to fix this problem so I will take another run at it over the next couple of days and quit just cursing and beating on my propane straps.
    NFPA National Fire Protection Agency

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1984fireball View Post
    I agree. So tight and the clamps are so weak. I broke mine a few days ago but I change out every 7-10 days in the winter. And am looking for new ideas. Anyone have photos of their mods? I have some thoughts but am no brain in that area.
    Is there a large washer on the back side of your straps on one side under the attachment screws? If there is, remove the screw and take the washer out, reinstall the screw and bend the strap forward to the edge of the screw, this should give you enough slack to easily fasten the straps.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners
    RETIRED Maint Supervisor, Certified Welder, ASE Master Tech, Owner tire shop

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ElSimon View Post
    Wouldn't this compound the problem of the straps being too tight? Or, did you change your straps? Another one of my concerns is the fact the doors to the tanks don't have any kind of lock on them. It would be real easy for anyone passing by to either shut off the tanks (as a prank) or just steal the tanks. What is everyone else doing with this? Is it a valid concern?
    I was able to close the straps with a little extra effort. On mine, there is a small ring that is part of the buckle. When the buckle is closed, you can put a small padlock on it using the ring. This prevents the buckle from being opened and hopefully is enough to make a thief move on to an easier target.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered on new strap off of amazon to replace a strap that I broke. Heng's 90032 LP Compartment Strap-39 Single Tank
    by Heng's
    3.8 out of 5 stars 13 ratings
    Price: $14.40 & FREE Shipping
    Note: Not eligible for Amazon Prime. Available with free Prime shipping from other sellers on Amazon.
    Propane tank strap
    Features quick-snap buckle
    Size: 39" (Single Tank)
    Designed for quick and simple installation
    Fit Type: Universal Fit
    › See more product details
    New (8) from $14.40 + FREE Shipping
    Report incorrect product information.

Strap is very similar to the factory strap, except the latch is of better quality, stronger steel, and instead of being too tight, it is a bit too loose. I installed two fender washers with the mounting screws and it is just right. The washers will tighten the strap if it is too loose, remove one or both if the strap is too tight.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners
    RETIRED Maint Supervisor, Certified Welder, ASE Master Tech, Owner tire shop

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234