User Tag List

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simple way to install and remove your hitch without straining your back

Andersen Ultimate and Pullrite Superlite hitch owners can ignore this thread because they have lightweight hitches that can be carried around with little effort.

For the rest of us that have hitches that weight (well over) over 50lbs- read on...

I know this idea isn't new and has been shared here before but I figured I'd post again for new forum members who may not have seen this and aren't aware of it. If your hitch is heavy and difficult to install and remove, a simple solution is to mount an inexpensive ($99) Harbor Freight ceiling hoist to your garage ceiling. I simply lift the hitch then back my truck under it and drop it into the factory holes in the bed of my truck. I do the reverse to remove the hitch then drop it onto a cart to roll the hitch into a corner of the garage for storage. Takes 5 minutes to install/remove the hitch with zero lifting.

I know there are many alternative methods like leaving it attached to the 5th wheel pin box, using tractors, forklifts, engine hoists, etc. This is just the technique I use and it feels like I'm cheating each time I use it. My hitch can be broken into two pieces that are manageable but the ceiling hoist method is much faster and easier.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ceiling hoist 2.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	24134 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	celining hoist 3.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	24136
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I installed a ceiling hoist, Harbor Freight, several years ago and lower the hitch onto a furniture dolly. Store it in a corner in the garage.
    2020 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356
    2012 Primetime Crusader 355BHQ (GF's)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the same thing and it seems to work well. Installed two 10' pieces of Unistrut (Lowes SKU 3725613, Model # SC12-10-EG) end-to-end on the ceiling. I tried to mount them directly, but I couldn't get anything to screw it to the ceiling that wouldn't interfere with the trolley. In the end I had to get P1834-EG supports and 3/8"-16 x 2.5" bolts, nuts and washers to hold them. I use a chalk line to snap a path along the ceiling, stud finder to find the joists and lag screws to affix them to the joists through the sheetrock. I spaced them about every 3.5' support (looked this up in a table online to get the weight at around 800#). I purcahsed the hoist that most folks buy, one of the ones from Harbor Freight. I got the Pittsburg 1300# one because it was on sale. The trolleys I bought were RHKING Electric Hoist Installation Roller Trolley 4 wheel trolley assemblies (2) and they attached directly to the hoist with no fanfare using the bolts included in the hoist. The only surprise I got was that I had to add another P1834 at the intersection of the two Unistrut tracks because the ceiling wasn't perfectly level and they did not intersect at the same height. I aligned them and tightened the bolt in the P1834 to hold them in place. Here's a pic with it lifting the hitch from the bed of our truck.

Name:	IMG_2403.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	40893

And one of the track with the hoist:

Name:	IMG_2852.jpeg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	40892

I lift the hitch by using the B&W Fifth Wheel Hitch Lifting Device (purchased off of Amazon).
    Steve & Lori Hicks and Luna, the wonder dog - Liberty Hill, Tx
    2022 Solitude 390RK-R
    2022 3500 Ram Limited Longhorn Mega Cab 4x4 SRW - 6.7L HO Cummins with Aisin Tranny
    N5AC

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a Warn electric winch. So I hung it from my garage ceiling. I had to go above the ceiling to lay a long 2x4 across my roof trusses and put a 2" steel pole on top too and I can hang the winch on thimbled eye and steel cable attached to the ceiling supports.

As others did, I put mine on a floor dolly to roll out of the way when not needed in the truck.

So much looking forward to my new long bed truck and a Reese gooseneck tho.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods