User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure who was being asked. We have a 6.75' (Ford super duty are 6 3/4 ft beds for the shorter box)
    2019 F350 6.7L PS SRW CCSB Platinum
    2021 28BH with theater seating and 2nd AC
    2019 Imagine 2400BH w/solar (sold)
    https://rolling.howardweb.info/

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SKI367BHS View Post
    I bit the bullet and purchased a gen 2 reese goosebox as I got very tired of not having bed space and lifting 300 lbs of hitch in/out of my F350. This past year I used the tractor to help lifting the hitch in/out and just grew more and more frustrated with the process. I don't think I'll save any weight as the goosebox is about as heavy as my hitch set up.
    I was able to order a goosebox and safety chain set from a local RV shop a bit cheaper than other vendors online and without the shipping costs. I was very happy to have my nephew and his friend pop over to help me install it. It was a fairly easy process. I had one hang up during install. The vin plate was installed in a location that prevented us from fitting the goosbox into the wings due to the drive screws protruding inside the wing area. It wasn't a big deal, but we all thought we'd have enough room to move the goosebox around them. However, the gen2 goosebox has taller wings and prevented us from maneuvering around the drive screws. Access was easy to the drive screws and I was able to pound them out and moved the vin plate higher on the trailer wings so the drive screws wouldn't interfere with the install.
    We found that after following the mfgr directions we ended up using the same mounting holes as the original pin box. The instructions say generally to use one bolt hole lower,but once we added air, it put the 5th wheel nose high. So we used the original pin box holes, and it is level now.
    We got the mounting bolts and safety chain bolts torqued today and tested it out briefly in the driveway. I'll test it out on the road in the near future as our road is pretty icy now.
    My hope is that it will tow better and make life easier. Time will tell, I guess.
    This is one of those mods that will force another though. I don't have the camera package on my F350, so backing up to the 5th wheel is not as easy as I can't see down into the bed and nothing stops the truck (like a horseshoe hitch) from hitting the trailer. I used chocks as a stop but had lots of in/out trips of the cab and little adjustments in truck position. As such, a camera is now in the works to make this process safer and easier. I kind of expected that but wasn't 100% sure.
    Anyway, thought I'd share my experience if anyone else is looking to do this.
    Happy New Year to all of you!
    To make it easier to back up to my GooseBox I painted a white line (1.5 inch wide) down the center of my GooseBox and a matching white line in the bed of my pickup. I can backup using the white line on the GooseBox as a guide to ensure I am centered, then it is only a matter of how far to backup.

If you want to try this, get yourself a roll of white duct tape and place it in the center of the GooseBox and in the truck bed up to your hitch. If you have a helper they can easily tell if you are centered because the two lines will match up as you back up the truck.

See photos below:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20190622_203007589.jpg   Truck Bed Pinstripe 1 (1).jpg  
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bit the bullet and purchased a gen 2 reese goosebox as I got very tired of not having bed space and lifting 300 lbs of hitch in/out of my F350. This past year I used the tractor to help lifting the hitch in/out and just grew more and more frustrated with the process. I don't think I'll save any weight as the goosebox is about as heavy as my hitch set up.
    I was able to order a goosebox and safety chain set from a local RV shop a bit cheaper than other vendors online and without the shipping costs. I was very happy to have my nephew and his friend pop over to help me install it. It was a fairly easy process. I had one hang up during install. The vin plate was installed in a location that prevented us from fitting the goosbox into the wings due to the drive screws protruding inside the wing area. It wasn't a big deal, but we all thought we'd have enough room to move the goosebox around them. However, the gen2 goosebox has taller wings and prevented us from maneuvering around the drive screws. Access was easy to the drive screws and I was able to pound them out and moved the vin plate higher on the trailer wings so the drive screws wouldn't interfere with the install.
    We found that after following the mfgr directions we ended up using the same mounting holes as the original pin box. The instructions say generally to use one bolt hole lower,but once we added air, it put the 5th wheel nose high. So we used the original pin box holes, and it is level now.
    We got the mounting bolts and safety chain bolts torqued today and tested it out briefly in the driveway. I'll test it out on the road in the near future as our road is pretty icy now.
    My hope is that it will tow better and make life easier. Time will tell, I guess.
    This is one of those mods that will force another though. I don't have the camera package on my F350, so backing up to the 5th wheel is not as easy as I can't see down into the bed and nothing stops the truck (like a horseshoe hitch) from hitting the trailer. I used chocks as a stop but had lots of in/out trips of the cab and little adjustments in truck position. As such, a camera is now in the works to make this process safer and easier. I kind of expected that but wasn't 100% sure.
    Anyway, thought I'd share my experience if anyone else is looking to do this.
    Happy New Year to all of you!
    After you have towed with your GooseBox, I would love to hear how you liked it compared to a regular 5th Wheel hitch. I love towing with the GooseBox, but I have never towed with a conventional 5th Wheel hitch, so I can't compare the two experiences.
    David and Peggy
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a short bed.
    Thanks, we do too. Our 337 is on order. We're planning to go with the Andersen hitch but goose box is tempting.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sdnomis View Post
    Thanks, we do too. Our 337 is on order. We're planning to go with the Andersen hitch but goose box is tempting.
    Ride quality with the GooseBox will definitely be better due to the airbag and shocks. GooseBox will also preserve your frame warranty (confirmed by LCI and GD).

The ONLY benefit to the Andersen in my mind, and this is a stretch, is that since the pivot point sits higher, you can pile more stuff around the hitch in your truck bed. With the GooseBox, the "neck" extends down into the bed and sweeps out a decent area from the ball back so you cannot really have stuff back there. With the Andersen, once unhitched, you still have the hitch in your truck bed vs just a ball with the GooseBox.

I would vote GooseBox. I have one on my Solitude and have been extremely happy with it
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 2019 megacab has been perfectly paired with the goosebox. I wouldn’t want another hitch for our 311BHS.

19 DDSRT
    19 Ram 3500 Laramie Megacab HO (patriot bus)
    2020 311BHS
    2019 Ram 3500 Laramie Megacab Patriot bus
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicNevs View Post
    Our 2019 megacab has been perfectly paired with the goosebox. I wouldn’t want another hitch for our 311BHS.
    NordicNevs, are you using the factory 5th wheel option for your goose ball; i.e. not an offset ball?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John303 View Post
    NordicNevs, are you using the factory 5th wheel option for your goose ball; i.e. not an offset ball?
    Factory with the B&W ball drop in
    2019 Ram 3500 Laramie Megacab Patriot bus
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just installed my Goosebox today, very easy install overall. Centering the truck is easy with the camera, but even with the bed camera it's hard to tell how far to backup. I did a test with painters tape, some on the bed rail aligned with the ball, and a piece on the Goosebox where the ball would line up, it worked perfectly. When it warms up, I'll paint some lines to make it permanent. I took a test ride and it is way better than when I had my Momentum with a traditional hitch. My wife went with me for the test drive and said she couldn't even tell we were towing anything.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Just installed my Goosebox today, very easy install overall. Centering the truck is easy with the camera, but even with the bed camera it's hard to tell how far to backup. I did a test with painters tape, some on the bed rail aligned with the ball, and a piece on the Goosebox where the ball would line up, it worked perfectly. When it warms up, I'll paint some lines to make it permanent. I took a test ride and it is way better than when I had my Momentum with a traditional hitch. My wife went with me for the test drive and said she couldn't even tell we were towing anything.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Good to hear your comparison with a traditional 5th Wheel hitch. I have only towed with the GooseBox and Love it !!!

PS: My wife agrees with your wife, there are times we can't tell that we are towing a big ol' Camper behind us.

PPS: Here are a couple of photos of our "Painted" GooseBox:

The White lines really help to line up to the Goose Ball.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20190622_203007589.jpg   Truck Bed Pinstripe 1 (1).jpg  
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast