Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gplafker View Post
    Thanks. I checked the roof and no signs of black water through the vent. The toilet was almost full. The mess was in the undercarriage with a little in the storage compartment. Doesn’t seem to be the black water shower fitting as it doesn’t leak until the tank is full. I was hoping there is a freeze
    Plug or check valve. Otherwise I assume the top seam split.
    We had a mishap a few years ago involving the black tank rinse and stupid park employees but ours exploded in a different way
    (we learned that day ,never leave it attached to the trailer when not in use)

Take down the coroplast and give as much area as you can a good bleach wash and let it dry completely before closing it back up.

We were lucky our black tank did not split or the mess would have been much worse, thinking we caught it just in time or it would have been an even crappier days end
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    (we learned that day ,never leave it attached to the trailer when not in use)

I leave mine connected all the time! Stick a ball valve on the end and NEVER get distracted while you're flushing your tanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200106_083815_HDR.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	24161

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Running on MT View Post
    I leave mine connected all the time! Stick a ball valve on the end and NEVER get distracted while you're flushing your tanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200106_083815_HDR.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	24161

If I may make two suggestions in the interest of health and safety. I realize there is an internal check valve at the water connection but adding a second after (downstream of) the ball valve. Better yet a back-flow preventer.
    https://www.amazon.com/Camco-23303-B.../dp/B000EDUTN6
    The second is to at least spray paint that white water hose to identify it as black water use only. You really don't want those mixed up. I use a green garden hose as needed.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    If I may make two suggestions in the interest of health and safety. I realize there is an internal check valve at the water connection but adding a second after (downstream of) the ball valve. Better yet a back-flow preventer.
    https://www.amazon.com/Camco-23303-B.../dp/B000EDUTN6
    The second is to at least spray paint that white water hose to identify it as black water use only. You really don't want those mixed up. I use a green garden hose as needed.
    Excellent points. In my particular instance, however, I use blue FW hoses for my potable water and only own the single white hose so I'll never confuse the two. Definitely something to think about though!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wrap gray duck tape at the end of my gray/black cleaning hoses for identification.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a short Green hose for black water use. It is kept separate from all other hoses, in a container I use ONLY for black water "operations". However, I do not have the container marked as such. I'll have to mark it now.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the inputs. After removing the bottom skirt and storage compartment back panel I was able to determine the leak is not from the input or vent pipes and the flush pipe. The leak only happens when full so it is not the exit gate.
    I called grand design this morning and the confirmed there is no overflow valve so must be the top seam of the tank itself.
    Off to the shop. It is a little more work then I want to attempt.

Lesson learned. Always have the gate open when flushing the tank and pay attention.

And grand design customer service is great.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    Overfilling the black tank shouldn't make it overflow the roof vent. Remember water seeks it's own level. If it does you have other issues. Your toilet bowl should overflow first, the trap door isn't enough to stop back flow, at least from personal experiences. Fortunately I caught it before it ran over. Overfilling the black tank could compromise a poorly designed or constructed tank. There is a reason most any tank you see above ground is round with convex ends.
    If you have a good seal on the toilet bowl ball it may not flow back in in to the toilet.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    If you have a good seal on the toilet bowl ball it may not flow back in in to the toilet.
    Mine works just great under normal operation holding a water seal in the bowl. I was quite surprised when I got distracted and let the black flush run longer than I should have then went inside and found the toilet bowl filled to near the rim. Just sayin'
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. I wonder if that’s my issue; leaking seam? 351m, 6 months old. Didn’t overflow it but my interior smells like sewer while In storage in my shop building. The smell is strongest underneath bathroom sink where the cut through hole is for all the pipes. Weird is that it doesn’t hardly smell in the basement storage area. Already have appointment for drop off at dealer next week.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast