User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ford connected car data plan

So.. Still a little miffed over the Togo craziness, going from unlimited at 360/yr to basically the amount of data I can use in a weekend for the same price. Ugh, that's a bit of a change!

Anyway, I have a Ford, and I see that Ford offers a "Connected Car" plan with unlimited data on it, that's kind of an interesting option for me if there's a way to get that SIM out of the car or, alternately, set it up so that the car hotspot is always active. That way I could "tether" the RV to the truck when we're camping (Via the Togo) and still have unlimited data (or, if I can just pull the SIM, that would be even better, just put it in the Togo and off the races).

Anyone try/do something like this for Internet while camping?

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use a ZTE Mobley with an unlimited plan from ATT. Its $20/month, no contract. It's designed for an OBDII port, but I purchased a female OBDII connection and wired it to an AC adapter and plug it in to an outlet in the RV or we use it in the truck while driving plugged into the trucks 110 outlet. Not sure if they still offer the plan or not, it was a pain to setup since a lot of the ATT employees were unaware of this plan.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    We use a ZTE Mobley with an unlimited plan from ATT. Its $20/month, no contract. It's designed for an OBDII port, but I purchased a female OBDII connection and wired it to an AC adapter and plug it in to an outlet in the RV or we use it in the truck while driving plugged into the trucks 110 outlet. Not sure if they still offer the plan or not, it was a pain to setup since a lot of the ATT employees were unaware of this plan.

That sounds like the same plan that's available on my Ford, 20/mo for unlimited data on the ATT network. But is there a way to get the SIM from the car into another device so it's not locked to the vehicle? Or, if not, is there a way to make it so the vehicle will always allow WiFi access (not just when it's running)? If so, I could use it with the RV when we're parked.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    That sounds like the same plan that's available on my Ford, 20/mo for unlimited data on the ATT network. But is there a way to get the SIM from the car into another device so it's not locked to the vehicle? Or, if not, is there a way to make it so the vehicle will always allow WiFi access (not just when it's running)? If so, I could use it with the RV when we're parked.
    I'm sure you could pull the sim card from the device. I never tried, I just made the 110v AC adapter so i could use it on the road or while parked in the RV. My truck has 110v outlet and obviously the RV does, so it seemed like the best solution for me. It creates a hot spot in either case that my family or I can use. On the Mobley device itself, it only allows 5 devices to connect to it at once, but that's more than enough for what we use it for.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure you could pull the sim card from the device. I never tried, I just made the 110v AC adapter so i could use it on the road or while parked in the RV. My truck has 110v outlet and obviously the RV does, so it seemed like the best solution for me. It creates a hot spot in either case that my family or I can use. On the Mobley device itself, it only allows 5 devices to connect to it at once, but that's more than enough for what we use it for.

110V adapter for what? I'm not even sure where the Ford stuff is in the car, I know where the SIM is, but the router/etc? How do I get to it and power it on forever? Or are you talking about a 3rd party solution?

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    110V adapter for what? I'm not even sure where the Ford stuff is in the car, I know where the SIM is, but the router/etc? How do I get to it and power it on forever? Or are you talking about a 3rd party solution?
    Yes, 3rd party solution. The Mobley is a device not provided by Ford that plugs into the OBDII port. It creates a hotspot, designed to be used in a vehicle only. I made an adapter to allow it to be used anywhere 110V is available. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200105-210729_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	24160

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like the same as my GM plan. I just turn on the acc. the wifi will work without the car actually running but It will drain the battery if left on too long. Its kind of a pain, I was planning on switching to the Togo but that's out now.

I could never find a definitive answer on if at&t's 22gig limit apply's before they can throttle you. I've never had it happen but with at&t cracking down on the togo I doubt our car plans are far behind.

I have no idea if you could pull the card and use it somewhere else, I would be interested if you can figure it out.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm I wonder if those of us with Fords and the upfitter switches could wire the modem to switch 5 or 6 which can be configured to be hot with the key off. Seems like and elegant solution as long as you don't forget to flip the switch off before going to bed! For those full timers a simple battery tender on the truck would prevent totally draining the batteries I would think.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    Hmmm I wonder if those of us with Fords and the upfitter switches could wire the modem to switch 5 or 6 which can be configured to be hot with the key off. Seems like and elegant solution as long as you don't forget to flip the switch off before going to bed! For those full timers a simple battery tender on the truck would prevent totally draining the batteries I would think.
    Yup, this is exactly what I'm thinking. And it would have the dual benefit, Internet in the vehicle without the RV, and, of course, Internet in the RV as long as the vehicle is parked close by. Could just setup Togo to use the car, bridging in the Wifi from there, and off to the races you go. The best, of course, would be if I could pull the SIM out of the truck and put it into the Togo, but, I have a sneaking idea that they've probably locked the SIM to the device that's in the truck.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, 3rd party solution. The Mobley is a device not provided by Ford that plugs into the OBDII port. It creates a hotspot, designed to be used in a vehicle only. I made an adapter to allow it to be used anywhere 110V is available. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200105-210729_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	24160 Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I guess you wouldn't be reporting this if connecting to it wasn't reliable. We would at times HAVE four or five devices using it. With the truck parked in front of or behind the trailer it's always there for you, no hiccups in establishing or maintaining connection, regardless of where you are in the trailer?

We were very pleased with a MiFi device and data plan from Verizon in the early part of last year, but in the changing sea of data plans I can't be sure it will be an available option when we return to the U.S.

Thx.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast