User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a nearly identical set up from max catch. a 4 piece three weight and really like it
    Ought an extra tip just in case I break it and won’t be home for another couple of months. Have it with me going to a birthday party in Dallas (100 year one) then to Houston for a couple of dAys and might get to use it there for a bit. Buffalo bayou maybe...hard to get away sometime but fingers are crossed. MaxcAtch makes rods for a number of other companies too. Enjoy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been fishing all my life in Florida mostly inshore and now that I retired have had more time to learn how to fly fish and also to fly tie. Since I am fulltiime in my 303 have only one 5 wt for freshwater and an 8 wt for my saltwater inshore fishing. My winter landing pad is a short kayak paddle from Everglades National Park plenty of snook, reds and sea trout to practice on and see if any of my flies work. Heading to Montana this summer to fish with my neighbor, I am so lucky to have so many incredible fly fishermen to learn from here.

Vivian
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    2018 Ford F-350 SRW Diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you’re ever in the NW try big hardware with big rods in the big rivers. Most challenging freshwater fishing I’ve ever done!

Leon McKee

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    going to be in washington and oregon this summer and am going to have to tie some big stuff. Have an 8 weight and that will be the extent of my big rod. Will be with other nonfishers so will be a challenge to make it work for everyone. Gone three or four months so something shouldl be manageable. Looking forward to it for sure. Some salt and fresh is on the list for sure.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting threads this week. One on fly fishing and one on bears. As a Ranger in Grand Teton I have some experience with both. Fishing here. The Snake river and Gros Ventre are great trout rivers. There’s a bridge across the Snake near Flagg Ranch with close parking and easy access. Also anything below the Jackson Lake dam can be excellent. In addition there is great access in the National forests as well. Wyoming state license required everywhere except Yellowstone, which requires its own special license. The snake just below the south entrance to Yellowstone can be fished before it enters Flagg canyon and becomes dangerous. Most folks fish a #5 rig with some 3s and 4s in smaller streams. I use a 6 weight myself, 9 footer and it can be helpful in the wind and with bigger fish. Many Park Rangers in Grand Teton are excellent fishermen and women. Much better than I. Stop by any visitors center or ranger station and ask. You may learn a lot. Parachute Adams in 12 and 14 is a standard. Lots of assorted nymphs will work. As far as streamers, circus peanut in medium sizes. That’s all for now. Good luck.
    Emil & Elizabeth
    2019 Chevy 3500 HD Duramax DRW
    2020 GD Solitude 380FL-R
    Mutts: Jack & Bella

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yes, always ALWAYS, keep an eye out for bears. Keep your bear spray accessible.
    Emil & Elizabeth
    2020 GD Solitude 380FL-R

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    which bear spray do you recommend? Will be in Yellowstone and Grand teton for about three weeks this summer and then drifting west toward the pacific. Was with some folks doing some ice patch archaeology a couple years ago and they were big believers in bear spray. So, what's your go to bear spray? Thanks in advance..

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Counter Assault $49.00 and UDAP $45.00 are the two brands I've carried. Both have been proven effective on the big bears. There are other brands. Walmart sells something that's 7 or 8 bucks less, but I've never seen a park employee carry it. Yes, bear spray is the most effective thing in most cases. Most effective is letting the bears know you're there. Make noise, sing, call out, talk to your group. If you can stay with 2 or 3 others that helps immensely. Bears are strong and tough but not stupid. They can count (sort of) and they know 4 people outnumber 1 bear.
    Also, any ranger will demo the proper deployment of bear spray for you and do a bear safety orientation. The bear has to be pretty darn close to you for the spray to work. It can be a tense few moments.
    Emil & Elizabeth
    2020 GD Solitude 380FL-R

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not giving too much away here, but the Buffalo Fork of the Snake is good, The Yellowstone River below LeHardy Rapids also.
    BWO #12 and a number of black foam beetles are effective depending on the time of year. It's almost impossible to go wrong in the Teton-Yellowstone ecosystem.
    Emil & Elizabeth
    2020 GD Solitude 380FL-R

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just bought 4 udap sprays. two sons my self and one for our trailer Thanks, I figured experienced people would have good advice!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast