User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any fly fisherman out there?

Trying to make up for 30 years of no fishing and focusing on fly fishing - Florida and the Rockies and a few weeks in Australia and New Zealand. Usually in conjunction with visiting kids in the West. Yellowstone kind this summer then to the pacific.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F07D32B5-E9A7-423C-8A3B-ADE4FD343D66.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	24150. Being retired is a good thing!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have fly fished off and on for 20+ years (as well as regular fishing). Like most things in my life I didn't dive all in with it but do enjoy it. My wife and I just fished the San Juan in new Mexico recently. I have fished mostly out west. I have done Yellowstone and the Tetons as well as lakes in Oregon, Nevada, Colorado and Utah. I agree retirement is a great thing! Enjoy and good luck catching the big one.
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another wannabe fly fisherman from the Fl panhandle. I’ve got a couple of r&r’s that I’ve had for 25 years, one a BassPro thinking Gold Cup 8wt. 4 pics, the other is a Remington 8/9wt, 2 pics. The 2 pics in a hard tube is pain to store but a much better casting rod.
    I tried it out is saltwater for redfish, speckled trout but would put it down for a spinning rod because I knew the catching was going to increase greatly.
    Broke them out a few months back and started casting off of some public docks to get the feel for it again. After a trip out west last June into S. D. And Wy. A lot of the RV parks had small ponds where you could cast a line.
    Might start looking at a new travel rod a little lighter than what I have. Any good suggestions for something that would be easy to travel with but not break the bank?
    Every thing is nicer in Niceville.
    2019 Reflections 29RS
    2016 GMC Denali Hd
    B&W slider hitch
    Mor-ryde rubber pin box

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall lee View Post
    Another wannabe fly fisherman from the Fl panhandle. I’ve got a couple of r&r’s that I’ve had for 25 years, one a BassPro thinking Gold Cup 8wt. 4 pics, the other is a Remington 8/9wt, 2 pics. The 2 pics in a hard tube is pain to store but a much better casting rod.
    I tried it out is saltwater for redfish, speckled trout but would put it down for a spinning rod because I knew the catching was going to increase greatly.
    Broke them out a few months back and started casting off of some public docks to get the feel for it again. After a trip out west last June into S. D. And Wy. A lot of the RV parks had small ponds where you could cast a line.
    Might start looking at a new travel rod a little lighter than what I have. Any good suggestions for something that would be easy to travel with but not break the bank?
    We are in Tallahassee and I would recommend maxcatch 4 piece rods. Under or around 100. I have their 3 weight and am very happy. Only catch is you can't try them out before buying. Their midrANGE REELS are fine. cheaper ones not so much. I'm just not into buying 600+ dollar rods and super expensive reels. Go directly to their website. They are good to deal with. I think their 5 weight would be darn hard to beat . the three is in my suitcase as we speak. Coming back from Colorado Tuesday.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghdorn View Post
    Trying to make up for 30 years of no fishing and focusing on fly fishing - Florida and the Rockies and a few weeks in Australia and New Zealand. Usually in conjunction with visiting kids in the West. Yellowstone kind this summer then to the pacific.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F07D32B5-E9A7-423C-8A3B-ADE4FD343D66.jpg 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	24150. Being retired is a good thing!
    Being retired is awesome!

My wife and I fly fish the San Juan with guide Andy Kim (not the singer).

Silly me, I was pleased catching 20-24" rainbows and browns all day long. And then, and then she catches this monster trout on a 3wt rod!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	08CE777A-E341-4002-BD8F-711E79354F6E_1_201_a.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	925.0 KB 
ID:	24178
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB
    2022 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 w/ Max Tow
    Round Rock, (Donut Capital of Texas) <><

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice fish to say the least. In New Mexico below the dam or above? Guided below about ten years ago on size 22 flies. Even then I couldn’t find the eye and now would be even worse. Were you wading or floating. You look wading, well your wife does anywAy. Impressive fish. Well done. My 3 weight has not seen such a monster but has been some beautiful places. Used to fish one of the forks of the San Gabriel up by round rock years ago when there was no development. The little sun fish would really hit poppers. Still have friends in RR - the Quick’s to be specific and brother in Austin.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghdorn View Post
    Nice fish to say the least. In New Mexico below the dam or above? Guided below about ten years ago on size 22 flies. Even then I couldn’t find the eye and now would be even worse. Were you wading or floating. You look wading, well your wife does anywAy. Impressive fish. Well done. My 3 weight has not seen such a monster but has been some beautiful places. Used to fish one of the forks of the San Gabriel up by round rock years ago when there was no development. The little sun fish would really hit poppers. Still have friends in RR - the Quick’s to be specific and brother in Austin.
    We were wading below the Lower Flats with size 22 nymphs custom tied by the guide. They were small but effective. Having float fished the San Juan before, we had much more action wading!

Round Rock has lost it's small town charm. Crime, traffic, and taxes have grown exponentially. We are here 9 months of the year only because of family and church.
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't done any fly fishing but its on the list someday. We hit Canada usually once a year for walleye/bass/pike. Never carried the gear around since pole storage can be a pain so didn't get much fishing in while traveling so I finally had to come up with some decent pole storage in the 5th wheel.

Came up with this for the garage area, Hopefully we can get more fishing in now!

Name:	IMG_4025.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	24216

The other end is above an outside tv:

Name:	IMG_3671(3)a.jpg 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	24217Click image for larger version. 

Name:	outside tv.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	24218
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you wind up in Yellowstone, do a float trip on one of the rivers. I've never had fly fishing like that before, it was like fishing in a hatchery. And the fish were big, and they were energetic. Great time. But the water we were fishing was too big to wade and a lot of the success was because we could drift with our flies (looking very natural). It was an experience!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Randall,

We purchased 2 of these 4 piece rods after Mary caught a monster trout with the guide's. Go to the Reel Fly Rod website and a $25 off $150 coupon will popup. https://www.reelflyrod.com/tfo-pro-i...3-86-4-p2.html.

The guide claimed the TFO 3 weight was more sensitive than our 5 wt rods but, he still used 5wt line and reels. It certainly has enough backbone for big trout! Andy Kim has guided on the San Juan for 20+ years.

Name:	5F0EB2D9-B6DA-4BDB-B37F-7AE1CE7B97F3_1_105_c.jpeg 
Views:	8 
Size:	221.7 KB 
ID:	24223
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast