User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Let's go back to what I interpret the intent of the original poster about "painting" the roof. I interpret the intent as looking for a coating that will be the cure all of sealing and appearance and will eliminate any future actions. Sorry if I overstated or misinterpreted. RV roofs, PCV, EPDM, TPO, fiberglass, all will benefit from cleaning and each has it's own specific requirements and maintenance needs. Use the wrong product and you will have a ruined roof. Example petroleum products to clean or repair EPDM will damage the material, permanently.

It's a roof and as such will collect some dirt and discoloration/staining. Using the proper cleaning materials periodically will help preserve the appearance but more importantly cleaning allows the owner to regularly inspect the roof. I wash the roofs annually and during that wash I get down and inspect the roof material, the sealant around vents, seams, and attachments to the roof. Then of course I repair any needed items. I would generally avoid any "big box" cleaners or coating without first checking with the roof material manufacturer for their input. Careful using time saving equipment also. A pressure washer while nice for cleaning hard surfaces will blow right through a rubber roof and take decals/striping/paint right off.
    2020 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356
    2012 Primetime Crusader 355BHQ (GF's)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not necessarily "eliminate all future actions", but, help mitigate damage being done by the sun against a rubber roof. I'm kind of thinking it like this, take a pine board and chuck it outside in the weather. In 6mos, it'll be checked liked crazy, warped, and starting to rot. Now, take another board, and paint it with 2 coats of latex paint, then do the same thing. That board will survive much better outside because the paint takes the brunt of it, and the paint, being latex, is able to deal with sun/water/etc better than wood. That's really where the thought came from, put a "new" layer up there for the sun to attack, and, when the sun wins, instead of being a new roof, it's a new coat of paint. Seems like the jury is kind of out on this, most people don't do it, there aren't many materials rated to do it, but the materials there are claim they are worthwhile (duh). It does seem logically that if "sun eats the roof" that putting a layer of paint up there would help though.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    Not necessarily "eliminate all future actions", but, help mitigate damage being done by the sun against a rubber roof. I'm kind of thinking it like this, take a pine board and chuck it outside in the weather. In 6mos, it'll be checked liked crazy, warped, and starting to rot. Now, take another board, and paint it with 2 coats of latex paint, then do the same thing. That board will survive much better outside because the paint takes the brunt of it, and the paint, being latex, is able to deal with sun/water/etc better than wood. That's really where the thought came from, put a "new" layer up there for the sun to attack, and, when the sun wins, instead of being a new roof, it's a new coat of paint. Seems like the jury is kind of out on this, most people don't do it, there aren't many materials rated to do it, but the materials there are claim they are worthwhile (duh). It does seem logically that if "sun eats the roof" that putting a layer of paint up there would help though.
    If feasible put a cover over the roof to protect when not being used. I have an RV barn, 30x50, concrete pad, pole barn construction, with full hook ups. The motorhome gets the most benefit since the GFs Crusader tends to stay down in NW FL on the bay property. Both get the same washing/inspections.

If your unit is 15 or newer it's likely TPO, earlier probably EPDM. If you find a recommended coating by either GD or the material manufacturer, please let guys know. GFs Crusader has EPDM and since it sits in the FL sun a lot that might be something to consider. That is if she doesn't sell it soon.
    2020 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356
    2012 Primetime Crusader 355BHQ (GF's)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest you go the manufactures site and follow the instructions for a TPO roof, you're getting some advice here that is contrary to what Alpha says.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard about FlexArmor but never seen it on an RV.

https://rvroof.com/
    Jim & Kate
    2019 Ford F350 CC 6.7 Diesel DRW
    2020 Solitude 344GK
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    2017 Ford F250 6.7 Diesel (Sold - already miss her)
    2018 GD Reflection 315RLTS (Sold)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes... you should paint your roof. So to speak.
    But paint it with a good quality UV protectant

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gcragg View Post
    Yes... you should paint your roof. So to speak.
    But paint it with a good quality UV protectant
    Any suggestions? Looks like there are a lot of options out there.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    Any suggestions? Looks like there are a lot of options out there.
    303 ... you can get it in gallons

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12