Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Painting the roof?

Is painting the roof something that you do as a preventative (IE, I should do it now to my new RV) or something that's only done as needed (when the roof gets scummy)? Seems like a good coat of paint up there might help keep the roof nice and keep the rubber from deteriorating, but it also seems a little strange to paint a brand new roof. So... What is the purpose of the roof paint, just to touch up/keep it nice, or it is a preventative thing that I should do every few years?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Curious - Guess I don't understand what you mean by "painting" the roof... I have never heard of this and wonder why and with what? Also, most newer rigs do not have rubber roofs any longer.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The modern roof that are put on RV's should last 10 years without painting. Simply clean them once a year according to manufacturers instructions. They are repairable if you get a tear. It's ok if they get "scummy", mostly that is mold from fallen fauna and does not hurt them.

Paint is not good. I hope when you say "paint the roof" you are referring to the many RV roof sealant products that are on the market. I was considering resealing the rubber roof (EPDM) on my 8 year old 5th wheel but ended up buying a new Momentum instead. The Momentum has a TPO roof on it that only requires cleaning with a mild detergent. I won't consider painting it until it develops a leak.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t see the year/make of your RV in a signature area of your post, however, if you have a newer GDRV unit the roof is TPO. Just keep it clean per manufacturers recommendations. I you ever in the future consider a coating get one designed for RV roofs. Unless they have changed the TPO is made by Alpha Systems.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, my RV is a 2020 GD Momentum. Should probably update my profile!

I was looking at something like this as the "paint" for the roof. Sounds like the answer is "no" this isn't something that's a necessary/expected maint item, but figured I'd ask, especially since I'm going to be storing the RV outside, if it was a good idea to coat a new roof or just wait until something goes wrong and then look at putting down a coating.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-4-...S018/205049553

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post

I was looking at something like this as the "paint" for the roof. Sounds like the answer is "no" this isn't something that's a necessary/expected maint item, but figured I'd ask, especially since I'm going to be storing the RV outside, if it was a good idea to coat a new roof or just wait until something goes wrong and then look at putting down a coating.

Well, from what I can see it would work on pretty much any roof, with a lot of good reviews. Having said that I would still wait as "D2REID" - Dallas - says, until an issue appears, or you see signs of potential roof failure. When that happens, this stuff looks like the ticket!
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Different products interact differently with different roof materials. There are products that work with EPDM and don't with TPO. Many articles on these roofing materials and cleaning and repairing them will use some different materials.

For me I was the RVs a couple times a year, or when really grimy, and the roof annually using a good detergent with NO petroleum products.
    Last edited by chunker; 01-08-2020 at 09:07 AM.
    2020 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356
    2012 Primetime Crusader 355BHQ (GF's)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post

My understanding is that Grand Design roofs are superflex by alpha systems and carry a 12 year warranty. I would think that painting the roof with anything would void the warranty. If you google “superflex by alpha systems” you will find information on care of the roofs. I personally think you would not want to apply anything to the roof that is not recommended by the manufacturer at least until the warranty expires. The best thing to do in my opinion is to regularly clean the roof with the manufactures recommended common cleaning detergents/soaps.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The roof warranty is just about useless after a few years as it is pro-rated parts only and no labor coverage last I had looked. This could have changed.

I wouldn't hesitate throwing a coating over the roof. Just check and see if you need a primer for it to go over a TPO roof.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J&J___ View Post
    I would think that painting the roof with anything would void the warranty.
    No question about that. If your roof ever ages enough to need a coating I wouldn't buy it from Home Depot. Their products seem to be more like Harbor Freight stuff lately. I would look at something made specifically for RV roofs.
    Last edited by Brewhedd; 01-10-2020 at 06:55 AM.
    2019 Reflection 312BHTS TT Sold

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast