User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    They wouldn't be "sending you a tech". But they would approve you finding and using a mobile tech (or repair facility) in your area. That's how we had most of our "covered" work done. We were approved to use our repair facility, paid the bill, submitted to GD and got a reimbursement check.
    If they have mobile techs, why not? As far as mobile techs, I prefer to have the GD dealer where I bought the RV do warranty work. I didn't anticipate a list as long as my arm though. A mobile tech would be a last resort.
    2019 Reflection 312BHTS TT Sold

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. When our kitchen faucet exploded during our first trip, the first thing GD offered was to reimburse for a mobile tech to come out and install the faucet they were overnighting to the CG...

As for those uncertain with mobile techs, you just might be surprised... I really do not require much, if any, general repair support. However, with our former Heritage Glen we had constant problems with the Dometic air conditioners - replaced 5x under warranty!! Anyway, Dometic would ONLY deal with one of their certified service providers. EVERY single dealership within 250 miles blew us totally off even though the first time was related to the Dometic recall on the units for faulty manufacturing in China - in other words, they would recoup everything from Dometic no questions asked. Even our selling dealer blew us off - told us to come in the Fall when it was MARCH and our season was just to begin and the unit's warranty would expire by then. Anyway, this mobile repair was dead last on the list from Dometic. I called him, explained the situation, and he was able to be at our house a day later while on route between jobs. Turns out, he had 27 years of experience having worked for a manufacturer in Indiana, and then two dealerships before he hung his own shingle. He's certified by all the major appliance manufacturers and most every supplier to deal with warranty work! He's neat, efficient, and completely professional! When I had my knee worked on, I hired him to do the resealing work our last camper needed - roof lap sealant, Proflex caulking on the exterior, and some foaming where I had the underbelly down to replace a tank valve. Charged me $95 total - materials and his labor - and the work was immaculate and left me wondering why I had been doing this miserable chore myself for years! When I needed to replace the Dometic awning material for the full-length awning, I hired him to help me do it since it was a big job per the Lippert replacement instructions and timing was bad for friends to help. I kid you not, we had the old vinyl off and the new vinyl on and awning fully operational in 15 minutes! He knew all the tricks of the trade, tossing out the Lippert instructions, and came to my driveway with ladders and expanding scaffold plank to make the job a breeze. He even refused to accept more than the $50 he charged me, but at least accepted the free coffee! My LONG, rambling point being, mobile techs can be really superior to what you might find at a dealer - I know, I've seen it with my own eyes...
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
    If they have mobile techs, why not? As far as mobile techs, I prefer to have the GD dealer where I bought the RV do warranty work. I didn't anticipate a list as long as my arm though. A mobile tech would be a last resort.
    After trying to use our dealer to do warranty work, we've moved on to a private repair facility. The first time our dealer had warranty work to do (due to something they broke), it took 4 months to "get the OK from GD" to cover it. Then they ordered the part (another 2 weeks), before we could bring it in. Now, "bring it in" meant to bring it into the dealer, where it would sit on the lot until they could actually move it into the service bay for work (that would be "about a week to 10 days"). Then the work itself would take 4-5 days.

Yeah, like that would work with our travel schedule.....

Are there good dealers with good service departments? Yes, but they are few and far between. Many of us have learned to find a repair facility that works with US and not on their own schedule.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Interesting. When our kitchen faucet exploded during our first trip, the first thing GD offered was to reimburse for a mobile tech to come out and install the faucet they were overnighting to the CG...

As for those uncertain with mobile techs, you just might be surprised... I really do not require much, if any, general repair support. However, with our former Heritage Glen we had constant problems with the Dometic air conditioners - replaced 5x under warranty!! Anyway, Dometic would ONLY deal with one of their certified service providers. EVERY single dealership within 250 miles blew us totally off even though the first time was related to the Dometic recall on the units for faulty manufacturing in China - in other words, they would recoup everything from Dometic no questions asked. Even our selling dealer blew us off - told us to come in the Fall when it was MARCH and our season was just to begin and the unit's warranty would expire by then. Anyway, this mobile repair was dead last on the list from Dometic. I called him, explained the situation, and he was able to be at our house a day later while on route between jobs. Turns out, he had 27 years of experience having worked for a manufacturer in Indiana, and then two dealerships before he hung his own shingle. He's certified by all the major appliance manufacturers and most every supplier to deal with warranty work! He's neat, efficient, and completely professional! When I had my knee worked on, I hired him to do the resealing work our last camper needed - roof lap sealant, Proflex caulking on the exterior, and some foaming where I had the underbelly down to replace a tank valve. Charged me $95 total - materials and his labor - and the work was immaculate and left me wondering why I had been doing this miserable chore myself for years! When I needed to replace the Dometic awning material for the full-length awning, I hired him to help me do it since it was a big job per the Lippert replacement instructions and timing was bad for friends to help. I kid you not, we had the old vinyl off and the new vinyl on and awning fully operational in 15 minutes! He knew all the tricks of the trade, tossing out the Lippert instructions, and came to my driveway with ladders and expanding scaffold plank to make the job a breeze. He even refused to accept more than the $50 he charged me, but at least accepted the free coffee! My LONG, rambling point being, mobile techs can be really superior to what you might find at a dealer - I know, I've seen it with my own eyes...
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    After trying to use our dealer to do warranty work, we've moved on to a private repair facility. The first time our dealer had warranty work to do (due to something they broke), it took 4 months to "get the OK from GD" to cover it. Then they ordered the part (another 2 weeks), before we could bring it in. Now, "bring it in" meant to bring it into the dealer, where it would sit on the lot until they could actually move it into the service bay for work (that would be "about a week to 10 days"). Then the work itself would take 4-5 days.

Yeah, like that would work with our travel schedule.....

Are there good dealers with good service departments? Yes, but they are few and far between. Many of us have learned to find a repair facility that works with US and not on their own schedule.
    Maybe a list needs to be made showing the good independent shops and remote techs too. List by state, with phone numbers.

KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    Maybe a list needs to be made showing the good independent shops and remote techs too. List by state, with phone numbers.

KEN
    Don't know if that's acceptable - a list of businesses with phone numbers. Would that be like advertising? Now, maybe such information (individually) could be given via PMs?

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12