User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to 5th RV and need new truck

I got a Solitude 2019 3740BH deliver to a camp ground last summer, it's at the close camp ground for the winter

As my truck maybe too small

I forgot to measure the Overhang and king pin plate , do anyone Know ?

I am looking at 2020 Chevy 3500HD Diesel

I can't make up my mind on Dually Vs Single , any opinion

thanks

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Considering a truck to tow that unit I would only be comfortable towing with a DRW truck. As for the questions on the overhang and pin box these items are relativity standardized so, as long as you have a stock (or close to stock) truck, you should be good. Your fifth wheel hitch will have some height adjustment to help accommodate the specific needs of your truck. Good luck!
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As @RVRunners indicate, you will have adjustment for height with the hitch, and you also have it with the pin box as it can be raised or lowered in the wing set. Looks like around a 3K pin weight so 1-ton is the way. Look at truck available payload to determine if a SRW or DRW makes sense. Generally speaking, you're in DRW territory once you think about all your gear in the truck, tank of fuel and passengers. However, I don't know the new Chevy specs specifically. Other factors might include how often and how far you will tow during life of camper. Good luck hunting and happy camping!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I strongly encourage you to consider a DRW for a trailer of this size. The unloaded pin weight is 2900# and it only goes up from there.

I have a 2019 GMC 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW and have 4519# payload. The new 2020 DRWs that should be hitting dealer lots in the next month or so will be around 5400# payload I believe.

My 3740BH-R (same as yours but residential fridge) has a pin weight of 4060# per my last weigh in. This was with the following:
    Loaded for a 3 week trip
    Full set of tools in basement
    Reese GooseBox 20k Pin Box
    Onan Generator Installed
    Splendide stackable Washer and Dryer installed in the front bedroom closet
    Waste tanks were empty

The pin weight got HEAVY quick once the mods/upgrades were all in. I am shuffling stuff around to try to lower it some since the GooseBox is only rated for a 4k pin weight.

My truck was 15# over the GVWR with 13040# total weight. I am not loosing sleep over 15# but do plan to get one of the new gen GMC HD trucks in a couple years. The increase in GVWR fron 13025 to 14000 is much needed in my case (and they have a ton of cool new tech - test drove a couple, loved it).

Attached are my weigh in slip and a picture of my trucks rating sticker in the door jam.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3740 CAT Weight.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	24169

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3500HD DRW Sticker.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	24170
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never regretted having a dually. I have regretted it when I had a srw.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd def go dually with the 3740BH. My only regret with the dually is its performance in the snow...awful!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be fair, any wheeled vehicle does poorly in snow

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    To be fair, any wheeled vehicle does poorly in snow

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Agreed! Best thing to do is plan to stay off the roads as much as possible during a snow event. Lots of folks don’t give inclement weather the respect it deserves while driving and it makes things hazardous. It becomes worse in the more southern regions where they experience snow only a couple of times per year as they are ill equipped fo road treatment/snow removal, etc. We are in the Louisville, KY area and a small amount of snow or ice accumulation makes driving a real circus.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I'd def go dually with the 3740BH. My only regret with the dually is its performance in the snow...awful!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Just curious....is this also true if the dually has 4WD?
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KirbyRVA View Post
    Just curious....is this also true if the dually has 4WD?
    Hello,
    I've been driving my truck since Nov. 2015 without any trouble in the snow and I have 1 slightly steep hill to climb on the way home. I have run with the bed empty so far. Been driving in the snow for 31 years every winter so I have some experience.

HTH,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast