User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: tow vehicle

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's funny... This whole payload thing is so ingrained after shopping for the truck, I now look at the door stickers for every car. I was pleased to see my VW Golf has a payload of 950 lbs.... that's only 250 lbs less than my old Tacoma and most crew-cab Tundras.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrack2015 View Post
    It's funny... This whole payload thing is so ingrained after shopping for the truck, I now look at the door stickers for every car. I was pleased to see my VW Golf has a payload of 950 lbs.... that's only 250 lbs less than my old Tacoma and most crew-cab Tundras.
    Haha that's so true! My Explorer is a 7 passenger and it's payload sticker shows 1350 pounds, that exactly 200 pounds more than the 2013 F150 King Ranch I had. Crazy.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do trailers usually come weighing less that what the specs. say. The unit I will be buying is:
    GVWR Trailer 13995
    Payload 21% of 13995 2939
    Cabin weight 450
    5th wheel hitch 250
    Tonneau cover 50

Total Payload 3689

Payload on door sticker 3792

On the Dodge VIN Decoder Site these are the numbers I have gathered.

GVWR Ram 3500 Truck 11700 max
    Combined Vehicle Weight Rating 25300 max
    Fifth Wheel Hitch Max Trailer Weight 16970 max
    Maximum Trailering Capacity 17150 max

Have I figured payload out ok and is 21% enough leeway. Also can someone figure out the following numbers regarding how much truck and trailer weight I can carry.
    Case24

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    Haha that's so true! My Explorer is a 7 passenger and it's payload sticker shows 1350 pounds, that exactly 200 pounds more than the 2013 F150 King Ranch I had. Crazy.
    The really funny thing? Before my F250, I had a 150. And the payload on that 150 was close to the same as the payload on the 250. Now, for anyone who's had or driven both trucks, the idea that a 150 can carry as much as a 250 is, well, bonkers. But it's all because the 250 is <10K GVWR (by sticker) and, if you put a diesel engine in it, well you wind up pretty darn close to 10K before you put anything on board.

What stinks the most as that these stickers are mixture of "legal maneuvering" (to skirt regulations/taxes), "marketing" (to come up with 80K tow ratings on a Ford Ranger), and "engineering specs/designs". Honestly, the last one is the only one I care much/at all about. Just tell me what I can SAFELY do with the vehicle as you've engineered it. The closest you can get to that is looking at F and RAWR. However, even that isn't 100%, my F250 had a GAWR that was tire limited, the axle was able to hold a lot more. So you wind up with a mismash of crap looking at this with no "clear" answer for any of it. IMHO, start with the tires, what can they do? Then go to the axle. Beyond that, a lot becomes adjustable, if your axle and tires can take 9K, for example, now start looking for the "next thing" that will limit you. Most likely the suspension (but easily fixed with airbags). Then the hitch, that's probably the next weak point.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234