User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slide Rubber Seal Tear Repair

I have a 2015 27RL. We have over 30,000 miles on the rig. I noticed that the curb side slide seal has a small tear. The tear is about an inch long. I do clean / treat the slide seals a couple times a year. My question ...... is there a way to repair the tear without replacing the seal? Or at lease until I get home in a few months. I'm thinking an adhesive. Feedback appreciated.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GDogRV, Funny you would post this as I was just up inspecting our 2016 303rls slides today and the drivers side horizontal bulb seal is starting to split on both ends. I am sure I will replace it in the spring after we come back from Florida. I did the same repair on our last 5th wheel an Keystone Outback 5th wheel and it was very easy. I bought a 20' roll on line for that and it was very reasonable. I'm going to look into this one more tomorrow and make sure it is just as easy. Meanwhile I'll watch this post.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GDogRV View Post
    I have a 2015 27RL. We have over 30,000 miles on the rig. I noticed that the curb side slide seal has a small tear. The tear is about an inch long. I do clean / treat the slide seals a couple times a year. My question ...... is there a way to repair the tear without replacing the seal? Or at lease until I get home in a few months. I'm thinking an adhesive. Feedback appreciated.
    Tear of the wiper or the bulb part of the seal?

3M Black Super Weatherstrip Adhesive used sparingly as directed will bond nice matching splits/tear edges. I always have this in the toolbox. If you got yourself and ugly tear of the wiper, your best bet is to get a roll of Gorilla brand Waterproof Patch and Seal Tape. Apply the tape on the outside face of the wiper because you need the wiper to seal when the slide is open and just squeegee the surface bringing it in.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good information in the Reference Library post https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...me-Slide-Seals
    Mike & Pat Clawson
    Marty & Bucky (Welsh Corgis)
    2015 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS #2813
    Titan Disc Brakes, Liberty Rider Suspension
    2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
    Comfort Ride Hitch, 52 Gallon Titan XXL Fuel Tank, Banks Speed Brake, Firestone Air Lift Bags
    http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/...pst4uyouma.gif

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks - Tear is on wiper. I'm inclined to go with geotex1 temp repair for now. If it gets worse I may consider gr8dagget suggested link to procedure to complete replace seals.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Tear is on wiper. Gorilla Tape is a good suggestion. While its technically not duct tape ....... which is a RV owners best friend for temp / semi temp repairs.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks ..... Excellent document on replacement of seals.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: Temporary repair ...... used Gorrila Tape. Applied to both sides of wiper seal. Holding well and has survived two extensions and retractions of slide with no issues and tear is stabilized. I will do a permanent repair when I return home (April) and will update this post.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE: Decided to replace the seals. Replaced both sides and top seals on the curbside slide. I had General RV do the seal replacement since the slide had to be hyper extended to completely remove / replace seals. Yes it was expensive but well worth the investment. I also adjusted the centering of the slide. When I got the rig home I measured the clearances on each side and found a 3/4" difference. General RV confirmed as well. I did the centering adjustment in my driveway after General RV did the seal replacement. It was fairly easy ... but you may need some help in actually moving the slide. I found the procedure to do this on the LCI website. Find the installers manual for your model and look for the slide adjustment section. Basically you determine how much you need to move for center, extend the slide about half way to balance on slide floor rollers, loosen four bolts, push the slide (you will need some help getting the slide to move - one person to rock the slide a bit the other to push to distance needed) , tighten bolts and return slide to in position. Then fully extend and recheck clearances. Took about an hour ..... 30 minutes waiting for my neighbor to come help and have a cold beer included at end of job.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: New slide seals / centering slide = much smoother slide operation and seal. Almost a year later and all good. NOTE: I replaced all screws holding the two rails on each side of slide. Factory install was round headed screws. Round head screws were gouging / ripping seal. Replaced with flat head screws that are flush with rail surface.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast