User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    We have 2 T-mobile ONE Military lines for our iPhones. Cost is $132 a month for both unlimited lines and unlimited hot spots.
    Do you have the authority to conscript this Canadian into the U.S. military briefly so I can qualify for this plan? (I don't do push-ups.)

We've used Verizon and T-Mobile plans in the U.S. southeast. Plans vary... a year ago T-Mobile *did* choke our service to make it unusable after 10Gb and had a dizzying array of expensive plans to give us more data.

We bought an inexpensive Verizon MiFi device and got truly-unlimited data on it for $60/mo that worked well pretty much everywhere in the southeast, but that plan is no longer available.

We're days from heading back to the U.S. for 1-3 months (don't ask!) and I'm wondering WHAT the heck to buy this time!

It's a jungle out there, but any Americans feeling ripped off by cell companies should visit Canadian cell company web sites (rogers.com, bell.ca, telus.ca) to see what we get here. Like a Rogers "Unlimited" plan that chokes to unusable speeds after FIVE gigabytes, and costs CDN$60/mo!
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Do you have the authority to conscript this Canadian into the U.S. military briefly so I can qualify for this plan? (I don't do push-ups.)

We've used Verizon and T-Mobile plans in the U.S. southeast. Plans vary... a year ago T-Mobile *did* choke our service to make it unusable after 10Gb and had a dizzying array of expensive plans to give us more data.

We bought an inexpensive Verizon MiFi device and got truly-unlimited data on it for $60/mo that worked well pretty much everywhere in the southeast, but that plan is no longer available.

We're days from heading back to the U.S. for 1-3 months (don't ask!) and I'm wondering WHAT the heck to buy this time!

It's a jungle out there, but any Americans feeling ripped off by cell companies should visit Canadian cell company web sites (rogers.com, bell.ca, telus.ca) to see what we get here. Like a Rogers "Unlimited" plan that chokes to unusable speeds after FIVE gigabytes, and costs CDN$60/mo!
    Here is my speed test with our T Mobile hotspot. Irn out of 4G a long time ago, but the internet keep on flowing. KEN Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2792805.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	24543
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Visible (Verizon owned) cell phone that I paid 19.99 for and a 40 dollar a month (no taxes) unlimited data with unlimited hot spot, the only catch is it only lets you connect to one device. So I run it through a nano router and then I can hook up my chrome casts and what ever else at the same time. I use over 200 gigs a month in data and it has worked like a charm for us. Obvi is Verzon signal is weak then so is it, but that is with any carrier.
    Eric and Karen
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW
    2018 GD 344 GK
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

New Togo plans (rant)

By the way, these are my peak download and upload speeds. Fastest we’ve seen.
    Can your ISP do 184 Mbps down?

This was over a two week period sampled at different times of the day and night.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adjustments.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	24598

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish Tank View Post
    I have a Visible (Verizon owned) cell phone that I paid 19.99 for and a 40 dollar a month (no taxes) unlimited data with unlimited hot spot, the only catch is it only lets you connect to one device. So I run it through a nano router and then I can hook up my chrome casts and what ever else at the same time. I use over 200 gigs a month in data and it has worked like a charm for us. Obvi is Verzon signal is weak then so is it, but that is with any carrier.
    Visible has a great price. I looked into it but it only uses 4g LTE. I tried straight talk a few years ago and they to only use 4g LTE and I was experiencing a lot more dead spots. In Kentucky, visible and straight talk is dead from bowling Green to Elizabethtown and most of eastern KY is dead. If I lived in an area with good coverage I would jump on it.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Space X is gonna make another launch on Wednesday!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus216 View Post
    Space X is gonna make another launch on Wednesday!
    Hey, one piece of good news. The cell phone companies are, much like they were at the "death of long distance charges" playing a fiddle on the Titanic. They are desperately trying to avoid the future here, and, of course, that future is easy and plain to see, unlimited/unlimited plans will become the norm at some point. I just thank the lucky stars that the drive to do this to Internet landlines seems to have failed, many cable/telco companies had billing rates in place or ready to roll out for a period of time that were basically "pay per GB". Thankfully, they stopped the madness, put in a "pay for speed, use as much as you want, and we might throttle you if things get too busy" plans instead and those have become the standard now (at least in the US). Eventually we'll get there in wireless, it's obvious they CAN make money on these unlimited plans, just a lot less money than they can make charging 10 bucks a gig (duh!). So they need to figure out what the "right" number is and deal with the fact that some customers are going to get a great deal (using lots of data) and some are going to be a great deal for the telco. They are desperately fighting the commodification of their product, which, I get from a business perspective, but... They are going to lose eventually. Internet is basically the same as power once you get to a certain speed, there's no "difference", you just want to get 200A service delivered to your house. There aren't 100 different tiers of power service, there's not 10000% markup on power per KWH if you choose the "wrong" plan, it's just "power". Is it on, or is it off? That's where it's heading and that's terrifying to the telcos, they want to fight that tooth and nail until it's just impossible to fight any further.

Think about it, with a modern cell phone today, you don't even need a phone number. You don't need instant messaging. All you need is Internet. Call people using Skype. Instant message on Google Chat. There entire "value" in the service will, at some point (honestly, it's already kind of there) to "am I on the Internet". If so, the "service" from the telco is complete, now it's on to other vendors to provide the functionality that the telco provides today. I laugh when I see SMS rates in a telco plan, 10c/message?! Or use and app and "free", send 10B messages a month, nobody cares. It's a complete money grab, gasping at the days of 10,000% markup, but heading to that of a basic utility and single digit percentage markups.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    will those that already have the unlimited TOGO plan be allowed to renew their plan? If not, the $360/yr wasn't such a good deal when you factor in
    the antenna cost.. And what does Winegard have to say about this?
    ~Dean

2019 Ford F250 Supercab, 6.2L
    2023 GD Imagine AIM 18BH
    2012 Harley FLHRC, Deep Purple,; 2012 Honda PCX150
    "Auctioneer, specializing in FL onsite auctions"

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSwick View Post
    will those that already have the unlimited TOGO plan be allowed to renew their plan? If not, the $360/yr wasn't such a good deal when you factor in
    the antenna cost.. And what does Winegard have to say about this?
    No, no renewals allowed. Yes, 360/yr was a great deal, but not when you buy a 350 dollar antenna specifically to get that deal in December and they turn it off a few months later. It's going to work out to almost 900 bucks for me for 12 months of unlimited Internet, although, to be fair, I can reuse my Togo with another plan when the time comes.

LOL, Winegard offers their own plans. They are neck/neck with the "new" ATT plans for the title of "worst wireless Internet offerings currently available in the market" (pricing). 20gb/mo from Winegard is 150/mo. So, in a little over 2 months, you're over the cost of the Togo plan, and, well, 20GB/mo isn't that much data. Verizon has a prepaid 20GB/mo plan for 110/mo (prepaid). Or, a Jetpack (monthly) plan with 30GB/mo for 65 dollars (which is probably what I'll wind up with after my ATT plan expires). Or I may just up my cell phone plan and tether the Togo to my phone, that's probably even cheaper, except then my phone will be stuck in the rig when we're traveling (we'll have to use my wife's instead). Sucks, the Togo plan was a fantastic deal, replaced by one of the "worst deals in wireless" currently available.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wanted to update on a good, Togo compatible deal I found for Verizon customers. Most Verizon plans have an "add a companion device at 1/2 off" feature associated with them. Well, I went through, entered the IMEI from my Togo (it was accepted) and, for a whopping 10 (yes, 10) dollars a month, they'll send you a SIM with 15G of data per month. That's a pretty darn good deal, under $1/GB. The new Togo plans are over $3/GB, so it's a big swing. 325/mo for 100GB or 120/mo for 180GB. This is certainly something I'll be looking at, some of the MVNOs (like Cricket) seem to some reasonable options too. Entering my IMEI to Cricket also shows as compatible, and as a "data only" device. 50/mo for 40GB of data; 35/mo for 20GB, both dramatically better than the new Togo plans, and both actually using the same network as the ATT plans. The "add a device" from Verizon is a better deal, honestly, I may just get a few SIMs and swap them out as if I run out of data, 10 bucks a month is a small price to pay. If you're not an VZ customer today, the Cricket deal seems to be one of the best going, 35/mo for 20G or 50/mo for 40G of data, that's pretty "reasonable". Which is in quotes because all these prices are absurd, I used to work for Verizon, I feel like I can say with some authority that even years ago, transferring a GB of data on their wireless network cost then pennies. Now I'm sure it's "fractions of a cent" to transfer a GB of data, and somehow a dollar per GB seems "reasonable". Sure, just 10,000X markup, nothing to see here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast